1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on the following AMPS

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Vinesh, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    My current Sony 930 Av Amp will be about three years old and as part of Richer Sounds policy, they can buy the amp from me for £200.

This means I can go out and buy a new AV amp :)

I have a total budget of about £650 and within this budget I have the following amps on list:

Marantz 7300
    PIONEER VSX-D1011
    PIONEER VSX-D2011 - Is it worth the extra??
    Denon 3802
    Yamaha RXV1300RDS

The main use of the amp will be 60% movies and 40% music, ie Hip Hop, MTV Base.

My current speaker setup is the following:
    B&W DM600 S3 - Rears - Bookshelf
    B&W 602.5 (Purchasing shortly) - Front
    B&W LRC60 (Purchasing shortly) - Front Centre
    Mordaunt Short 302 (Purchasing shortly) - For Rear Centre
    Paradigm PRD8 Sub
    No THX speakers.

My Current Equipment:
    Pioneer DV 350 DVD Player
    Sky Digital
    Toshiba VCR
    Toshiba 28" 4:3 TV. (3 Scarts, S-video) - TV will be ditched to a new Sony/Tosh Widescreen
    PS2
    Gamecube

I know I need to demo the amps, but I don't want to walk into a shop and say I want test all of the above. Reason for this is because I will be purchasing the amp from Unbeatable or QED. I like the looks of the Pioneer and Marantz, but its not about looks.

Any opnions on the above?

Thanks in advance.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Personally, keep your cash instead.

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Apart from the Denon 3802 and possibly the Yamaha, I'm not sure if Richer Sounds stock any of the amps your interested in. You do realise that the £200 "buy-back" guarantee is only for TRADE-IN ... they won't give you cash.

If music performance is important to you ... the best bet would probably be the SR7300 ... though the Pioneer has better Movie sound. You takes your choice on whats important and pays ya money.

Also though it's not much about looks ... you should take them into account as you have to live with it sitting looking at you :)

As for your speakers ... as well as considering the 602.5's ... I'd also audition 602s on good stands ... in my opinion / experience they are much better than the 602.5s which are bases on the 601s - not the 602s that their name might imply. Going for the 602s may also give you enough to afford an additional 2 600s for the rear centres which will give a more balanced sound of course. I would also like to say that the LCR60 is brilliant ... bought one just before xmas to repace a missmatched Paradigm I had before (rest is 602s2 front and 3x 601s2 rears with an embarasing sub I don't like to talk about!!).

Victoria

4. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with Sounddog above. Best to keep all the speakers the same 'tonal' match.
    I too am running a B&W setup (603's, LCR6 & 601's) with a Yamaha amp and sub (DSP-A2 & YSTW800). The Yamaha & B&W setup tends to sound 'meaty', providing plenty of base. If this is not your thing, the Denon has always got great reviews matched with the B&W speakers for a more balanced sound.

Cameron.

5. Cambo

Cambo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oh, just a note of agreement on gringottsdirect's post also.
    I take it you are tring to upgrade to 6.1? I have recently heard a 6.1 setup and honestly prefered my existing set up! The 930 is still a good amp. Keep it! Hope I'm not confusing you, but why not put the extra money into a PJ / big screen TV.

6. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    A month ago i did the same thing as you`re suggesting. I had a 2year old Sony 940 amp, which i had a 3 year supercover on.
    Currys are doing the Sony 1070 6.1 amp for £250 at the moment.I got £185 trade in for my 2 year old amp as part of the supercover.
    So i pricematched in Richer sounds, and upgraded to a new 6.1 amp for a 2 year old 5.1 amp for £55, as Richer matched, and took off a tenner too, as in there conditions.
    I was well chuffed, and the amp is excellent for what i want.
    Not a Tag, but fine for me.

Spoony.

P.S. If you`re going to do this, phone round richer, and ask for stock first, get it reserved, THEN go in there with the old amp and reciept, and say" HAZAAA" . :)
    As the branch i took mine too said they would no longer stock the 1070 after what i did, incase many others did it!.Reckoned they we`re losing too much money, i nearly cried.

7. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Marantz and B&W are also a fine match. The 7300 will demolish the others with music and is very well-built. Yamahas always sound a bit too warm for me.

As regards the 602.5's I'd look at the 601's plus stands - a better speaker set-up IMO. I found the 602.5's to be a bit uncontrolled and bloomy with bass, and the 601/stand combination was fat better and more controlled. The 601's are £250, the 602.5's £400 - so you're paying £150 more for more cabinet - they're not worth in IMO.

8. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Thanks for the replies.

At the moment I am trying the B&W 600 as fronts and they sound excellent. Cant wait to buy the rest.

I can have another pair of B&W 600 as rear centre, but the only issue is the space and they might look out of place. I live in a terrace house and I have my two rears on the side and I was thinking of having the Rear Centre on the back wall. The distance between me and the rear centre speaker will be about 0.5 metre. Will this be OK?

I will have to look at the Richer Sounds policy on the buy back option and I will look into the B&W 602's.
    They do have a Yam 630, Sony 1070 and Marrantz 4300/5200 amp.

Any opinions on the above three amps?

Cheers

Vinesh

9. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The Marantz SR5200 is a fine amp with the B&W kit ... and compared with the Sony 930 I had previously is great with music (though not upto a NAD C320).

Richer Sounds also now Stock the SR5300 it's replacement which does full DTS-ES Discrete as well as Matrix the 5200 did.

Victoria

10. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Victoria

I will look into the Marantz. You are right about the Buy Back Uption. They only do this with trade-in's.

11. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Anyone use the Marantz 5300 with B&W speakers?

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    No it's too close and should be at least three times that distance away from the listener.

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Have to say, with your room, 6.1 is likely to be disappointing.

Sony, in my opinion, 930 is better than 940, 940 is better than 1070, 1070 is better than 1080, extra features apart.

14. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree, not heard the 930 or 1070 but the 1080 is a step up from the 940. The circuitry produces much less noise and it's noticable with a good source. For music or movies I prefer the 1080 any day.

S

15. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Instead of having the rear centre at the back, can it be mounted as a ceiling speaker (Directly Above).

Behind the sofa I have a solid wall and the only other solution I can think of is the ceiling as it is quite high, 2 metres from the sitting position.

The left and right rears are placed on the side.

16. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I've just got the DM603/LCR60/600 B+W set, and I had a STRDB1070 (From curry's for £250 amazingly), but when Demoing, I told them the amp I had, and if they had it, they would demo the speakers with it..

Anyway, I thought it sounded pretty good, except in one demo, they had the Denon 3802 next to the 1070, so I asked if I could try the Denon just to see if what a more expensive amped sounded like.

I was very impressed, I was not expecting any difference, since my ears a little shot from Loud music and Motorbikes, but the Denon's musical performance was much better, it just sounded cleaner, with a better soundstage... and this benefits its movie performance, where the Sony when turned up would loose the directional effects a little, and just sounded loud, the Denon was very composed, and you could still hear the diretional effects even when turned up, which also impressed me.

Since I had decided on the speakers, I then started thinking that I owed it to demo some amps, to see if was worth skinting myself on upgrading... something I thought I would never need to do having been pleased with the 1070....

I tried the Yamaha 630 since this is the 1070's main rival, the newer 1080, the Denon 2802/3802, the Pioneer 1011 and finally the Sony 555ES...

My ears don't like Yamaha... they sound to clinical, with no body... and the 630 was no exception.. so not for me...
    the 1080 sounded the same as the 1070 to me... only PLII etc being the only upgrade
    The 2802 denon sounded pretty average, and I'd put the Sony 1070/80 above it in both movies and music.
    there was little to then choose between the Sony 555, the Denon 3802 and the Pioneer, they all provided much better performance with the volume turned up, although with Music, the Pioneer didn't sound much better then the 1070.
    So I was left with the Sony 555 and the Denon 3802....
    I thought they were pretty well matched, to my ears at least, and sounded that much better in both arenas over my 1070, that I easily justified upgrading as a necessity... as you do...

I ended up with the Denon, partly due to the extra discount for it being an outgoing model, (£450 when bought with the speakers, since they won't discount B+W).

And to cap it all off, the Denon was the only amp to have the 5/7ch stereo mode, which with the B+W's being tonally matched sounds amazing for some types of music.

Of course I'd go and demo the amps for yourself, since I soon found that my ears like different things to the sales people, or perhaps aren't tainted by what they need to sell!! and what was good for one person sounded dull and flat to me...

17. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Where did u buy the Denon 3802 from?

18. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Seven Oaks....

They had it on at £650... but when they wouldn't give any discount on the speakers (£1000) I insisted they give me the amp for £450 or I was walking... they caved in, especially when I told them I knew the 3803 was around the corner, and I took advantage of the £100 worth of speaker cables/interconnects, so was well happy...

Its £599 everywhere else, HiFi Confidential had them in stock, and would even do it for £575 if asked... and am sure lots of other places will give a little extra discount if pushed...

19. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    cheers Demon.

Any views on a Rear Centre as a ceiling mount speaker?

20. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    bttt

21. Vinesh

Vinesh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: