Any opinions on the 2.5ghz MBP?

airline1

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting one of the new Macbook Pro 2.5ghz and was wondering if anyone who has one could give their impressions of it.

With the new processor and 512mb video does it get hot?
Are there any issues I should be aware of with the Macbook pro before buying?

Many thanks
Dave

Are you refering to the 15" or the 17" ?

I recently bought a 17" 2.6Ghz HiRes 200Gb 7.2k rpm HD, from the Lakeside Apple store for around £1950 they will price match the Telesales people so take your quote along with you.

This machine replaced my almost 3 year old G4 17" PB and I could not be happier :D it does not seem any hotter than the one it replaced and the quicker WiFi is very welcome.

I would recommend buying from the Apple retail stores just in case . . . The previous machines have come from PC World or via the web store but on reflection that really is a bad idea as Apple will look after you much better in their stores.

R

Hi,
it is the 15" I am interested in. Unfortunately I am nowhere near any apple stores. I have noticed a few popping up on ebay which seem to be going at fairly reasonable prices. I would only buy one from ebay if the seller was quite obviously reputable though.

Does yours run fairly quietly, any fan noise at all?

Cheers
Dave

Could try buying from the Apple onlinestore ? ... might be worth checking out the refurbs and save a few quid !

Jon

I've got one and it is great! All laptops have fan noise as how else do you push the air out! But it is not obtrusive and certainly not all the time. Mainly when doing some intensive stuff like converting a video....

dont forget john lewis sells them as well and a few others....Don't know why you consider ebay if you are after a new one. Just use the Apple store....

Yes the only fan noise is when you really push it i.e. reindex spotlight DB or similar.

I would be soooo careful regarding eBay as there are so many scammers, that said I almost bought from a guy called "thesiew" but he could not come up with the right spec. I had contacted previous buyers and all seemed happy, but you should do your own research.

Failing that get one off the Apple Refurb store though I have yet to see the Peryn chip type, very important as it has 6Mb L2 cache which really makes it fast, so got bored waiting ;)

R

have a look at johnlewis.com as they offer a free 2 year warranty as opposed to just 1

JL are good but who in their right mind would spend this amount of money and skimp on AppleCare? It doesn't make sense.

why? JL give you similar cover - isn't applecare return to base for laptops? Its as good as most retailers and helps you save a few quid

I have a 2.5MHZ 15" MBP I bought it in Bluewater.

I don't think this is going to help you much but anyway...

I'm now in Delhi...temperature here is between 38 and 45 degrees. Without A/C on the laptop runs very hot...not much of a problem if you sit it on a table...although it can surprise you if you touch a hot bit. If I turn on the A/C it cools down considerably. Although still the bottom is hot so I don't think you can sit it on your lap without asbestos trousers...also available in the apple store :eek:)

@ Jus

You can get some extra stick on feet for the MB/P - might be worth giving it another couple of mm if its that hot?

why? JL give you similar cover - isn't applecare return to base for laptops? Its as good as most retailers and helps you save a few quid

JL = 2 years

AppleCare = 3 years

Just IMO I've found from experience with my iMac that if you can't fix it yourself** its foolish not to have AppleCare as even a very small issue out of warranty will quickly escalate to greater than the cost of AppleCare.

**speaking as someone who built and fixed all his own PCs for years.

AppleCare must be bought within 12 months of purchase of the item, so no.

Also AppleCare gives you 3 years phone support too.

Haven't got the latest MB, but have last years 15" 2.2gHz iirc. Upgraded using Crucial RAM deal (better than what Apple sell, and like a quarter of the price). After long use at home it will get warm and the fans will kick in for a while then turn back off again, usually doing CPU intensive work. But less so than my last IBM laptop did and not to the degree that I even took notice of it until I read this post and remembered that it does do it! It's certainly not a reason to not get one.

If you want a bargain consider reconditioned which is how I bought my MacBookPro and one of my iMacs. Just make sure that the one you are buying is the latest spec, lot of highly discounted older ones get in there when the newer spec is often not just later parts, but more RAM and HD capacity out of the box

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTIzMzk&nclm=Certified

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
I am going to hold off buying for while. Will stick with the macbook until a decently priced one turns up on the reconditioned part of apples store.

Cheers
Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom