Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Any opinions on Sharp LC-M3700?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by sandstheman, Mar 21, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Just ordered my Sharp LC-M3700, was a close call between this and the Panasonic PW7, but to me the Sharp just had the edge in picture detail and colour to my eyes, as good as the Panasonic is, and was a tough decision going for 37" over 42"

Just wanting to get some other opinions, any faults or problems i should be aware off, and what, any owners out there, think of the screen. Were you happy with it or left wondering why u hadn't gone for a Plasma :D

Fortunately the person/people i bought it through have given me the option of swapping it for the Panasonic if i still feel like i shoulda gone for the Panasonic, so just waiting for it to be delivered so i can start putting it through it's paces.

2. springy

springy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Did you end up getting this screen?
    What did you think of it?

3. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

4. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Yeah, i did go for the screen, and have decided to keep it, i find it to be excellent quality on DVD via component signal, the picture is sharp with fine detail (i guess the resolution of 1366x768 helps here), colour reproduction is spot on for my tastes, i guess the only caveat is that it doesn't have a scart connection, mainly due to it being marketed as a monitor rather than a TV, so at the moment my freeview box is connected using a scart to composite video cable, which gives a watchable picture with noticeable artifacts now and then, but this is dependent on the channel, some are a lot better than others. I feel a better quality sky feed with a scart to VGA converter would give a far superior picture.

I was also amazed by the screens ability to handle fast motion when watching DVD's, i was expecting even small amounts of bluriing but have not been able to see any. Solarisation is next to non existent, u may see it with a few DVD's out there, but only if u are really looking very hard for it.

As for using it as a PC monitor, it's exceptional over VGA connection, my laptop is limited in the resolutions it can output, and doesn't allow for custom timings through powerstrip, so haven't been able to input an exact dot for dot signal, but it's happy to run at 1280x1024 text is crisp, and it's great for web browsing.

As for Hi-def, i have my Xbox connected using the official Hi-Definition Component Cablea and am working on modifying my X-Box so that i can enable the Hi-def outputs, as it is a Pal X-Box (NTSC x-boxes have hi-def options enabled as standard), so i'll post an update once i start feeding it some Hi-def signals. :thumbsup:

To end, i;m not disappointed in my decision to go for the Sharp over the Panasonic 42PW7, but i will say, it's best to get a demo of the screens before making a decision, i hadn't even considered an LCD until i'd been showin it alongside the Plasma. The only downside i can think of is that it's shown how poor the quality of some of my older DVDs are ;)

5. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Ok quick update, X-box finally modded and it is now outputting in Hi-def, have to say the games look superb running at 480p, which is what the majority of X-box games run at, there are some out there with 720p, and even 1080i, but non that i have :( , but the modded dashboard looks amazing running at 1080i

So overall i'm very pleased now in my decision to go with the Sharp LCD over the Panasonc plasma :thumbsup:

6. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It should be possible to get or make a SCART to BNC RGB cable and have better picture quality from a SCART source.

7. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this display have the same feautures as the other Aquos displays.

Can you select different picture ratios, does it have all the picture setting available etc.

Does it have the "quick shoot" mode that is featured on the latest Aquos models to help reduce motion blur ?.

Thanks for any info.

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Not sure if any of that is available, this a monitor not a TV and is based on the previous LCD panel to the current models.

9. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I can confirm that it does have all the picture settings as far as i can see, i.e. ratios etc, and it does indeed have the quick shoot mode, so not so sure as to the screen being based on the older model LCD's if this is a feature of the newer screens

10. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  11. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well thats fair enough, info from the horses mouth an all that, but it doesn't change the fact that i do have quickshoot mode, and image adjustment etc etc, on my screen, so it may just be that my screen has the updated software.

All i will say is that i had seen the Sharp Aquos screens, and wasn't considering them until i'd seen this screen in action

12. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where did you guys get your from, they seem pretty rare beasts !.

13. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  14. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I picked mine up through a mate, from a company called AVE1, www.ave1.com, they had them on special at the Ideal Home Show, don't think they sell them through their website though

got a good deal at £1450 which included free delivery and 3 year warranty as well :thumbsup:

15. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the DVI input HDCP compliant ?.

Has anyone tried one of these with an upcaling DVD player through DVI. eg the Pannasonic S97 ?.

Is this TV basically the same as the top of the range Titanium GD1, but without speakers and a few features at £2000 cheaper !!!!!

16. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    In a word , NO!!! See the post http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...42&postcount=17

You are not keeping up, are you!! ;) :D

17. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe you should try and "keep up" with your knowledge of web links, the one you have given me does not Work.

18. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Odd, but it still works on the previous time it posted the link, see #10

19. sandstheman

sandstheman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I'm unsure as to which screen is being used now in the LC-M3700, Sharp have said it uses older screen technology (how old is that information from Sharp, could it be a case that they've migrated the monitor over to the newer screen?), yet it has features of the newer screens.

As far as HDCP over DVI, there's no infromation in the manual about this, i would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried HDCP over DVI on this screen :D , though my moneys on it not having HDCP as it is a 'monitor' rather than a HDTV

20. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26

Yes.

21. jerkyboy

jerkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got an Email back from Sharp. It is definately NOT HDCP compliant.

Thats this screen of my list !

22. mine

mine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone by chance owns (or has tested) a setup with the Sharp LC-3700 and a HTPC
    and 1368x768 1:1 @50 Hz ( powerstrip)

Judderfree ?

I seem to remember one post here ...or may be over in the avs-forum....

was it maw ?
    sorry I know its a pain....but like him I will NOT and NEVER accept any 60 frc judder , jerky pans and tickers - not with scalers -not with htpcs - a perfect showstopper for me - sensitive like hell ..

t.i.a.
    mine

update :

yes ....loads of informations @avs