Any opinions on JVC XV-NA77SL

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by lil old me, Dec 27, 2003.

1. lil old me

lil old me
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems pretty good from the jvc website LINKAGE
    My plasma is JVC and im pretty impressed but still I was wondering if anyone had had and experience of this or could tell me anything helpful from the specs. I had been looking at the Sony DVPNS730 but I read on here Sony's reliability has gone down hill recently so moved away from it, can't even find it on the sony website! The closest model I have found is the DVP-NS725P but it's still a sony......

Another I saw was the yamaha DVDS540 but this only has a 54MHz, 12-bit video D/A converter and a 96kHz, 24-bit audio D/A converter. Which reads as less superior compared to the JVC or the sony. Link HERE
    So does anyone think I've made a good choice? Anyother recomendations are very welcome, price range is sub £250.

TIA L

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +384
    I have this machine and i can highly recommend it had no problems with it plays everthing i can chuck at it and very quick dvd startup asweell.

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Stay clear of the Yamaha, very poor progressive scan picture.

4. lil old me

lil old me
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying. I had pretty much given up on the yamaha anyway it just seemed too cheap you get what you pay for......
    Well can't disagree with that opinion on the jvc, it seems to do everything I need it to and from what your saying it will bring results. I think I'll get that one then :clap:

5. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Don't the JVCs play back NTSC dvds converted to Pal 50hz only?

6. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to invite you down from your planet to my house to see the picture from my Yamaha 540 on a 6 foot screen via my Sony HS1. I will be very supprised if you find the picture "very poor" - and yes, I'm serious.

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    The Yamaha's progressive picture is very soft, looks out of focus and creates ghosting. Try looking at text in prog scan to see the ghosting.
    The yam looks considerably better interlaced, offering a much sharper image and better colours and contrast, but with jaggies.
    This is connected to my Brothers Sanyo plv-30 via vanne damme componant cables.
    The poor de-interlacing has been commented before by other owners of the Yamaha.
    Maybe you have a good one Army bloke.

8. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With all due respect mate, it would appear thet you have a bad one and that mine is working as it should...have a look at this

9. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    What Video do extensive electronic testing and viewing on the models they review and gave the Yamaha the award for best dvd player for budget to mid range decks. Even if the quality of these players do vary its obvious some of them are really good indeed.

Saying the interlace image is sharper than progressive is always a bit confusing with projectors as what your really saying is the de-interlacer in the projector creates a sharper progressive image than the dvd player's native progressive mode. This seems to be true a lot of the time. I would say to you that when you look at a a progressive image what you should be looking for is a more film like image with smoother less jaggy lines around objects and circular shapes looking more realistic. At the end of the day both interlace and progressive are showing exactly the same detail its just interlace splits it into two fields. Progressive is more about getting an accurate representation of the original film than sharpness. Interlace jaggies can give a false sharpness to images.