1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinions on Chord DSP-8000 pre/pro ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zcaps57, Feb 3, 2003.

1. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard/considered this processor ?

I'd like to hear anyone's opinionon this processor. Thanks.

2. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's expensive.

3. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    It's definitely worth the money though if you're primarily into multi-channel music. It's extremely fast and agile, and the sound steerage is exceptional given that I coupled it with the Kef Reference series which (IMO) are hard to set up in order to get them to image well.

I had a blast of Pink Floyd 'Dark Side of the Moon' 5.1 in the dark after work (as you do) and ended up listening to the whole album. Even at reference level there was no distortion whatsoever and the rear effects panned so well, I had to remind myself that I didn't have any centre-back channels connected.

Chord recently implemented version 2 software to the processor which adds lip-synch adjustment and auto level/distance calibration via a supplied condensor microphone (not a cheap one either). Version 3 is just a few steps away which adds Pro-LogicIIx (7.1 sound from stereo source) and CEQ (Chord EQualisation) which attenuates the loudspeakers frequency range to meet the sonic characteristics of the listening room.

4. Mr Merrick

Mr Merrick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I first heard the Chord DSP-8000 using the matching SPM3005 Multi-Channel amplifier via balanced connections. I've never heard anything better since, but decided to experiment anyway (with excellent results!).

I moved down to the Rotel RMB-1095 (Balanced and Unbalanced), Tag McLaren 100x5sr and Roksan Caspian 5-Channel using Chord Company 'Chameleon' interconnects.

I have to say that via the single-ended 7.1 channel outputs the Chord brought out the best in each of these amps better than any of their matching processors.

The Rotel sound was predictably massive with enormous reserves of power for even the loudest passages from Pearl Harbor. I've always criticised the Rotel for being a little 'shouty' on the mid/top end but not now. Smooth and Punchy with the right processor.

The Tag was an entirely different sound, not as boisterous, but nonetheless pleasant. The detail the Chord put through it was amazing. I was noticing subtle effects from the Schindler's List DVD I hadn't heard before on the Laserdisc (as Liam Neeson leans forward you can hear the friction on his leather jacket as he extends his arms and says, "The presentation!". (I'd have to agree with him...it's superbly presented.)

What impressed me most about the Chord / Roksan combination was the musicality to it...using 'Robbie Williams Live at the Albert', the timing and dynamics were spot on with sections of the orchestra positioned in a 180degree angle on the front/side soundstage with eerie precision , and the rear ambient effects complimenting the unique acoustics of a genuine Royal Albert Hall concert.

What more can I say?... It's versatile and, oh yeah, it's expensive...but it's worth it.

If you've any more queries about it, call Chord on (01622) 721444, or if you're local to London / Surrey and would like to see it and (more importantly) hear it, call Unilet Sound & Vision (020) 8942-9567

Regards, David