1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any opinion?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by petekv32, Sep 13, 2004.

1. petekv32

petekv32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I see from previous posts there is some dislike for DVD cams!!!
    So just a quick note on my hardware.
    I have a plasma tv. Panasonic 42" as my only TV, this unlike 'normal' TVs doesn't have an svideo input (I can get a board but would be messy)
    Hence my questions.
    a) How bad is the picture quality on DVD cams. I am looking at the Sony201. as it uses dvd-RW which is compatible with my Denon DVD player. (Any users who actually use one of these cameras?) Please don't just say BAD. For those who have SKY TV for example is it like a low bandwidth channel Bravo etc. Or more like those video phone news broadcasts from IraQ!!!
    b) Do any of these cameras DVD or mini dv record in progressive scan and 16:9 as this is the 'native' property of the plasma/dvd combo I have? Or is it a function of the PC software you use?
    Initially I'm looking at spending around the £500 - £600 range.
    I can't seem to find anywhere to try out competeing cameras so am having to rely on this word of mouth opinion( totally unbiased obviously :) )
    Thanks for your help ladies and gents

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DVD cams do not like movement in the shot, the compression is pretty poor compared to DV, so that areas of a similar shade hue etc start to come out pixelated.

If you really want one, then it's up to you but you've obviously read the previous responses to the same question.

Only true 16:9 cam in your price range is Sony HC40. It lacks progressive scan at full frame rate, if you plan to do any editing most semi-pro applications offer the facility to deinterlace the footage, which will come up better on a progressive scan tv (this is actually better than on cam progresive, only sony and panasonic do a full-frame progressive mode in the consumer/prosumer realm, they use pixel shift that gives you around 75% of full res, sonys give you full res but the frame rate drops)

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Other than the picture problems pointed out by Roy the picture is not too bad with a DVD cam. The problems with them are (from my point of view obviously):

They tend to be bigger than an equivelent DV cam
    The DVD disks are expensive and not too easy to get hold of.
    At best recording quality (and you will need to use best) you only get about 20 minutes on a disk
    The recording is highly compressed, so editing on a PC etc will cause a fairly large loss of PQ

DVD cams are fairly new to the market and they may not be around for long if they don't catch on with the public. You would then be stuck with the equivelent of a betamax VCR - except betamax is better quality than VHS, but DVD is not better than DV.

Mark.

4. petekv32

petekv32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks guys.
    The Hc40 is looking a favourite. It's just a shame that DVD is not shaping up better yet. Theoretically seems a great idea.
    Just a quick question Roy.
    The semi-pro applications that create prog scan would be ....??? for example.
    Thanks again for your time and input.
    Pete.

5. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    final cut pro & abobe premiere, check out final cut express I've never used it but it might offer the same facility.

final cut pro is a mac paltform programme, premiere tends nowadays to be pc only.

if you run a pc you can get a free download of avid freedv, a pro package with limited filters etc. I have a version of this on my pc but don't recal offhand if it has the deinterlace facility or not, you'll be able to pick up older versions of adobe premiere fairly cheap now.

cheers

6. petekv32

petekv32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks again Roy. Will look into it.
    Just one more time though!!!!
    Does anyone actually use a DVD cam such as the sony201. Can they give a little bit more detail on how "bad" the PQ is? Slightly noticeable on fast pans in the dark!!! Or unwatchable on slow pans in full daylight sort of detail!
    Cheers guys and girls.
    Sorry to repeat myself :)