1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any online PC games I'm missing out on?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by SeeNoWeevil, Oct 25, 2003.

1. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    I don't really play games on the PC mainly on xbox live (512k adsl).

I was wondering if there are any good online pc games which dont require a powerful pc and have good online play (and preferably cheap!) that I might be missing out on?

I'm willing to give most genres a try.

Many thanks

Dom

2. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    battlefield 1942 m8.. with the different mods..especially desert combat (bit like gulf war) it`s the best online game at the min..you wont be dissapointed..:smashin:

3. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    what will it run like on an XP2000+ 256Mb and a Radeon 32Mb ddr though?

4. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i used to run it on 1.4athlon tbird 256mem gf4400
    i`ve updated cpu to barton 2500 and 512ddr running fsb@200
    still got gf4 cos at the minute it`s a great card..buy it from game and try it m8..if you don`t like it or it don`t run that well, then take it back no probs.. :)

5. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    im dl'in the demo.

cheers

Dom

6. othello

othello
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Warcraft 3

8. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

Popular online FPS games include the following:

‘Realistic’:

Americas Army: Operations (FREE!)
    Battlefield 1942 / The Road to Rome / Secret Weapons
    Counter-Strike (can also be downloaded as a mod for Half Life)
    Day of Defeat (can also be downloaded as a mod for Half Life)
    Medal of Honor Allied Assault / Spearhead / Breakthrough
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    RTCW: Enemy Territory (FREE!)
    Soldier of Fortune 2
    Tactical Ops (can also be downloaded as a mod for UT)

‘Futuristic’:

Half-Life / Team Fortress Classic
    Halo: Combat Evolved
    Quake III: Arena / Team Arena
    Unreal Tournament
    Unreal Tournament 2003

In terms of performance, they could ALL potentially run on your setup. HOWEVER, ones to be careful of are Americas Army, Battlefield 1942, Halo and UT2k3 since they can be quite demanding.

An extra 256MB of ram would certainly help a lot (and can be picked up for around £30 these days) – take a look at Crucial’s website: http://www.crucial.com/uk/.

Personally, I still like playing UT most of the time, but I also play BF 1942, HL, Quake III and UT2k3 on the odd occasion. I have to say I’m not overly keen on the realistic rarity - but that’s my preference. There are plenty of people out there who are!

Hope this helps,

Alex

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    is Battlefield 1942 a subscrpition game or is it just online play and no extra cost for the servers etc?

Cheers!

10. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'm mostly enjoying Black hawk down and Raven shield multiplayer both must have titles imo. Gave Halo a quick go and that appears to be good fun. Just waiting for my copy of Hidden & Dangerous 2 to turn up and I'll give that a try. Planetside has had good reviews and is highly thought of - I've not given it a go since I don't want to be paying out a subscription each month since BHD and Ravensheild take up most of my gaming time anyhow.

11. Goose74

Goose74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
  12. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Theres no subscription required to play BF 1942. The game can be played either on or offline (with bots). To play online, you have the option to join any of the servers provided by EA themselves or join any other servers that are provided for public use.

Hope that clears things up,

Alex

13. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    RTCW gets my vote out of that bunch(and I think you can pick it up for about a tenner now:D ),bf1942 is pretty good,although the netcode is a bit crap,all the rest are just ok,imo.Hidden and Dangerous 2 is very good but needs quite a beefy machine to run properly.

14. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    i downloaded the battlefield demo, and i found it to be very laggy. And i have a cable broadband modem, with nothing else running. It's a shame, i can't think why it lags so much, i was on a good server and i have a good pc. I find it unplayable it lags so much.

15. SeeNoWeevil

SeeNoWeevil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +884
    ditto

16. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Like I said,crappy net code:( its a shame cos it could be an excellent game.

Give Wolfy a try m8,or even give Enemy Teritory a go,its not as polished as wolf,but seeing as its free you have nothing to lose;)
    At the moment a lot of the old RTCW players are playing ET instead,so its got quite a large community going atm.

17. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    BF1942 was a real shame and still is, it could have been so much more. If you're in a vehicle (and can control it well) then its great fun, but if you are infantry the game is just plain poor. It's impossible to shoot accurately due to the poor netcode - even on a server with a ping of 20!

For the past year or so the one MP game I just keep coming back to is Americas Army. It's just phenomenal and its totally free. It's currently at version 1.9 and 2.0 is about to be released (which adds special forces missions amongst others). It takes a little time to get used to, but is extremely rewarding. I play it whilst on TeamSpeak (voice comms) with a pretty big clan and the level of skill and sense of teamwork when a team is playing well is unbeatable.

Jumping in a tank and blasting away in BF1942 can be fun for a quick session, but for me nothing can beat AA.

If you're interested go to www.americasarmy.com, grab the free download (its pretty big nowdays, version 1.0 was like a 50MB download!), complete the training (there are quite a few now but make sure you do the Ranger training, it allows you to play the best maps - Radio Tower and Weapons Cache SE) and get stuck in!

Oh and I almost forgot the best part - the honour system. When you open an account you start at an Honour rating of 10. When you score points (by completing the mission objective, being an effective team leader, kill the enemy, staying alive) you increase your honour level. (You can lose points by killing teammates and being killed). This gives players a reason to play it, everything you do will contribute to your honour and players with higher honour get first choice on weapons each round and also get the respect of other players. You will also need a minimum of 15 honour to play as special forces in the upcoming version 2.0. The learning curve will be a bit steep for a noob, but I heartily reccommend it and would be happy to see any forum people on it, you will usually find me in one of the 26-man official east coast Radio Tower servers!

18. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Its an interesting topic about the Battlefield 1942 lag

Its not lag but its your graphics card

It happened when the 1.4 patch came out. This added alot of graphical enhancements but also it has put alot of strain on the graphics card

The short term cure is to reduce the texture quality settings until it stops lagging

My long term cure has been to buy an ATI Radeon Pro 9800 and now I don't have any lag

So try settings on the graphics card

19. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    .....or it could be the crappy,uneconomical net code;)

20. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Well yip-de-do for you! :rolleyes: It isnt my graphics card buddy, because I also have a Radeon 9800 Pro, and it had nothing to do with the 1.4 patch. The 1.4 patch actually improved the performance and netcode of the game, (without adding any graphical enhancements aside the lock-on crosshair) but is still nowhere near playable as infantry.

And its not lag, its the fact that this game is a 64 player game with multiple vehicles, means the netcode cannot be as accurate as normal game, there has to be compromise to allow for the number of players and vehicles. It has been like this since before version 1.0 (but I guess you haven't been playing it that long?)

21. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I don't understand what you mean then

You mean if you play 64 player games as an infantry man then you cannot aim correctly?

What sort of modem do you have?

And yes I've been playing this game for ages with all the patches. I even belonged to a Clan at one time and was a Brigadier General in this Clan and we played team league games alot

And yes the 1.4 patch crippled the game and resulted in me having to buy the top range graphics card in order for me to play it before 1.4 with anti-aliasing turned on so it looks great

And now there is no lag at all in my setup and the game runs as smooth as can be

22. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I pretty much agree with most of that,except that I do think that 64 player servers with land and air vehicles can be done without making huge compromises on performance.Check out Planetside,they have doen a pretty good job,although admittedly they have done it on a major scale.

edit:hmm,I think unplayable is a bit strong,maybe more annoyingly jerky;)

23. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    With a Radeon Pro 9800, Windows XP, 1GB ram and an ADSL modem with a ping less than 100, you shouldn't get lag

24. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I have a Radeon 9800 PRO 1 gig of ram, 512k ADSL, Dual Athlon MP 2800s, and on a decent BF server my ping is around 15-20.

It's not lag, its just a lack of accurate bullet simulation. It's inherent in the game.

25. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    There really is no need to get technical at all,I think my first explanation summed it up perfectly:crappy net code!
    :clap:

26. ajbird

ajbird
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol there is a great deal on trash spoken about the BF1942 legendary 'net code' most of it of no use whats to ever. there is nothing wrong with the code at all and for about 6 months i played over a 56k modem and it will still the best game ever. now i am using and isdn and it is even better - for those of you on braodband it will fly provided you have the PC to run it on - this is one powerful engine - if you have anything less than an expensive grahics card just turn your settings down to the lowest and the game will play just fine. ofcourse it will look beautiful on a top end card.

i have been playing this game for over a year now and it is the most adictive game ever- i have 5 other games still in their wrappers thanks to this thing - which is good or bad depending how you look at it.

what is very important is that you find a decent server to play on and i dont mean with a low ping - as this is a TEAM game you need to play with team players - so leave EAUK server to the kids and come and play on a decent server - BYGAMES is generally ok but the 'clan' (stupid name) servers are the best.

to get into this game a bit more drop by one of the many bf forums - you can start with xdcuk.net and come and have a chat with us.

cheers

andy

27. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Dont get me wrong,I rate the game and have enjoyed playing it,I even bought the expansion pack!However imo the netcode does leave a lot to be desired,and the hit detection is a bit ropey.

Trust me,my system is more than adequate and together with a 1mb connection should be more than capable of running the game smoothly.I do think they did a pretty good,at the time no game had achieved what they did,combining fps action with land,sea and air vehicles and it is an enjoyable game.I just dont find that it runs as smoothly as other games,thats all;)

28. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Battlefield was very ambitious and they pulled it off

The amount of things that are going at the same time is incredible

Planes flying overhead having dogfights and bombing, tanks battling - there is so much happening

I never seen any problems when I'm playing and its really like a virtual battlefield when you enter a game -

its a truly great game

29. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Planetside free 7 day trial def worth giving a go

30. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    They still doing that?I know they had reactivated all old accounts for a 7 day free period but though they had finished the old 7 day free trial for everyone:confused: