Question Any Onkyo Experts On Here? (Problem Found)

garrynic

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I just bought a Onkyo 5007 av amp off these forums recently.
I tried setting it up today and all I can get is a picture but no sound, I have tried numerous times, and spent a few hours trying to get sound but with no luck.
I am not even getting any hissing etc from the speakers, the amp has recently been back from having the hdmi board known problem sorted.
So ive run out of ideas, any advice would be much appreciated
Cheers

A little vague when you say you have 'tried setting it up'. Have you run the auto set up using the supplied Audyssey microphone?

A little vague when you say you have 'tried setting it up'. Have you run the auto set up using the supplied Audyssey microphone?
Sorry Mate
I didn't mean to sound vague.
The amp unfortunately did not come with the set up mic, I am only running two front speakers and a centre at the moment.
I did a full reset on the amp without any luck,
All I did was remove the little lugs from the speaker terminals on the amp and plugged my speaker wire plugs in.
I just find it strange I am not even getting some sort of hissing from the speakers.
Cheers

There should not be any hissing from the speakers from a receiver of this quality. You will be at a disadvantage without a microphone and not be able to implement the Audyssey EQ system.

What source components are you using?
I assume you have tried the built in test tones.

Surely he needs to get sound of any sort first before worrying about the set up mic!

Maybe @dante01 can help?

Yep we need a little more info, ie what you have plugged in and playing , what connection method and what you have for decoding method ie prologic etc.

A quick pic of the front screen would help too as I seem to remember it showing what speakers are attached.

1st thing to triple check is the speakers are connected correctly at the back. It's very easy to have the wrong + and - connected on the binding posts.

After a factory reset it should be on auto for most settings so should find a signal without you having to organise the inputs. But I would go through the initial set up from page 48 of the manual anyway assigning the hdmi and digital/analog inputs to the relevant input numbers so it knows where to grab the audio from. You're going to need to do it anyway.

To repeat what has been said you will need a set up mic at some point.

Last edited:
A receiver would output something prior to calibration so the mic isn;t the issue. You should be able to invoke the test tone manually via the manual speaker configurations. I'd ensure that the enabled speakers within the configurations correspond with those actually connected to the receiver. Even if the configuration were incorrect though, at least the front left and right speakers should be outputting the test tone?

Do you get any output via headphones connected to the receiver?

An Audyssey mic is something you should be looking at buying for this receiver though in order to calibrate it and use its room EQ correction. The TXNR5007 uses the ACM1H 245044 setup microphone.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I will have another go at this after tomorrow. Either I am being stupid or something but I cant for the life of me find anything in the menu to run the test tone manually.
I have tried playing a bluray but all I get is picture and no sound, also tried my cable box with the same outcome and the same with the tuner.
I may just try to plug my speaker cable bare wired into the receiver just to eliminate being the banana plugs, but highly unlikely.
Anyway thanks again and Merry Xmas to all
Cheers
Garry

Have checked the inputs are assigned correctly??

Menu - Speaker Set up - Level Calibration for speaker tones.
Whilst in the speaker set up menu check the configuration and settings options too, to make sure all the correct speakers are enabled.

Menu - Speaker Set up - Level Calibration for speaker tones.
Whilst in the speaker set up menu check the configuration and settings options too, to make sure all the correct speakers are enabled.
Thanks for the advice mate
Ive been into that section , and cant for the life of me run a test tone.
Ive owned a few av amps and have never had this problem, unless im a total dawk and im missing something.
Surely if I plug an external source into it I should get sound out without running any set up procedure?
Cheers

Definitely sounds hooky. Other than speakers not being connected properly can't think what it could be. Should just work like you say straight off the bat.

Hi Guys
Just a quick update,. I have spent a considerable amount of time on the amp now with no sound coming from it whatsoever.
I have tried using various different sources, even tried some different speakers for piece of mind.
I maybe missing something but cannot for the life of me figure out what.
My local AudioT shop has been kind enough to allow me to take it there tomorrow, and they will have a go at setting it up incase it is an error on my part (fingers crossed)
Cheers

Hi Guys
The problem seems to be with the power supply.
If I power up the amp and switch it on and off for about ten times I am getting sound out of it, very strange I know.
Thanks for the replies
Cheers
Garry

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom