1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one using a Dell 8300 for HCPC?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Easy2BCheesy, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've bagged a number of fantastic bargains for friends and family from the Dell Outlet. The Dell Dimension 8300 is a great machine offering P4 2.6-3.2GHz, 800MHz FSB etc. Another thing I have found is that the machines are virtually silent.

On the Outlet, you can usually find some astounding bargains. For example, a machine with 512MB of RAM, 120GB drive, 2.6 processor and a FX5200 for £350, or the same spec but with a Radeon 9800 for £430. Some people get them even cheaper - there are occasional 3.0GHz bargains for less than £250.

I've just wondered whether...

a) Any one is using such a machine to base their HCPC upon
    b) If so, whether the Dell DVD drive can be made region free

2. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've been using one for a little over a month now and am very impressed. Bought a P4 2.6GHz 512MB 120G HD with CDRW/DVD-ROM, FX5200 and Office ( for the misses' PC ) for £474 delivered ( don't forget you need to add VAT and sometimes shipping ). The DVD-ROM drive appears to be regioned although I found DVD Region Killer worked with the bundled PowerDVD software. I'm now running WinDVD and need to use DVD Region Free with it ( which I'll probably buy ).

I can vouch for the quietness of the machine - the misses has a 4600 which is much noiser. The case is plastic ( which seems to help ) and it has healthy size fans which run nice and quietly.

So far I've spent:

£474 PC
    £130 Nebula freeview card
    £20 Trust 511 soundcard for co-ax S/PDIF

And I have a ( pretty painlessly ) up and running HTPC / PVR / CD Jukebox.

Cheers

Simon

3. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Could you please post a link to the Dell outlet site. I've had a quick search around but cant find anything as cheap.

Many thanks, Chipster.

4. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Here's a link

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/default.aspx?s=dfo&l=en&c=uk

The key to the Outlet is to search frequently and sort by price. If the prices appear out of order it's because the discount hasn't been applied to a particular machine - adding it to your cart will show you the discounted price. Cheap machines come and go very quickly. If you snag one then you have 15 minutes to buy it otherwise it's put back in the outlet for someone else. When I bought mine there was £525 off but I had to pay delivery - currently there's £525 off Dimension 8300s and free shipping so there should be some bargains around...

I've bought 2 machines with no trouble, they arrive as new with a keyboard, mouse and all the software pre-installed.

Good luck

Simon

5. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks SimonInd

Looks like an option...some deals there for sure. Did you just get software installed or were the discs supplied as well?

Oh and what brand of DVD drive was included?

Thanks.

6. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The 4600 had a Dell (Liteon) CDRW/DVD-ROM drive and the 8300 has a Samsung. Some of the machines have seperate CD & DVD drives.

Simon