1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one got the criterion Straw dogs?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Shoka, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Whats it like compared to the R2 Special edition, can anyone give me a comparison? I've Just ordered it and want to make sure I havent just wasted £25

2. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I haven't seen the R2 Special Edition, but the Criterion has a fantastic picture quality considering the age of the source material. I don't know the extras on the R2 disc, but the Criterion is not lacking in any way, including a fantastic feature-length Sam Peckinpah doc.

It's a superb disc, you definitely haven't wasted your money.

3. maggi

maggi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've just picked this up from the HMV sale for £6, but I'm not sure which version I have. It says on the back of the box Freemantle Region 0, but according to the link above this should be in DD 2.0, but the packaging on my copy says Dolby Mono. I presume these are different sound formats ? DVDCompare list a Freemantle region 2 with Dolby Mono, but no mention of a Freemantle region 0.

I'm not particularly bothered about missing out on the better extras or picture quality on the Criterion or anchor Bay releases, but I'd be mighty pee'd off if I have a mono version when there is a stereo version out there. Would anyone be kind enough to put my mind at ease.

I love these dvd comparison sites, and I think they do a good job seeing as they are free, but they do tend to give conflicting / confusing info. For example the link above shows all versions of Straw Dogs as DD2.0, where as dvdcompare shows some of the same ones as Dolby Mono.

I also can't find any mention of a Special Edition, although Shoka has mention a R2 SE at the top of this thread.

This is all getting too confusing !!!!!

5. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I have the Fremantle R0 version and definately Mono.

6. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    dfield2000 - Sorry my mistake its not a special edition it is Th freemantle R2 of which I was refering