1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any one Buying Guild Wars?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Hawklord, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Since I decided not to get WOW I have ordered this instead. Should hopefully get my copy tomorrow all being well :D
    I'll have a whole weekend of gaming to myself (I deserve it too as I've been putting in 60 hr weeks at work recently :rolleyes: ) and hopefully this will be a good mmorpg to start with. The thing that swung it for me was that it's a one off fee for the game and no monthly charge to worry about:smashin:
    If any experienced mmorpger's who have bought the game could "meet up" with me and show me the ropes it'd be much appreciated :hiya:

If there's enough people playing this from the forum why not set up our own AvF guild :clap:

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Reading reviews and people's comments (on other forums obviously since no-one hear appears to be interested lol :laugh: ) I'm really looking forward to playing this now. Apparently think Diablo but online and in 3D :D

Loved diablo :smashin:

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Bought it from Play but never arrived on release date and with holiday weekend and no post , hopefully it will arrive on Tuesday.
    My only experience with this type of game is City of Heroes so no real idea what to expect apart from "Diablo" look-alike i got from someone who played the beta.

Hopefully see you online.

Panic

4. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I played Guild Wars over the weekend, and am pretty impressed so far. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but as soon as it started, the graphics inparticular made me gawp. It's got some really neat features, like the city 'districts' (ie instances) which prevent areas from just becoming choked with too many people, and the instanced missions/ areas mean that camping is a thing of the past. And it's fun!

For me, it is much more accessible than DAoC, as in DAoC I seemed to spend all my time running around, camping and trying to find a party. There's very little running around between locations in GW, and although seems to have fewer 'tools' to find a party, people are congregated in the cities so it's easy to find folks to group with. I'm not in a guild yet, but I guess this would make it even easier.

I'd support the idea of an AVF Guild if there are enough takers.

Balders
    aka Meliora Morandow (Ranger/Monk)

5. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Played it a few hours, and it just seems very dry to me...like an MMO-lite.

A lot of the good things from CoH haven't made it to this one (sk'ing, for example), and unless I am missing something, teaming up is made difficult to follow because you can't see the other team member's quests, and hence have no idea what you are doing and why..you also appear to get no completion bonus for their quest either.

Multi-skilling seems far too easy, and doesn't seem to stop you lvl'ing as fast as a single skilled character, which seems a bit odd.

Overall, it looks nice and is obviously an attempt to do something different with map travel and areas etc, but to my mind there are still some things that prevent it being as immersive and fun as City of Heroes, or as deep and varied as WoW.

6. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Pie-Man :)
    Played Guild Wars this morning for an hour before work and first impressions not too good , the game didn' instantly grab me like City of Heroes did.
    Graphics are nice enough although the character creation was a bit of a let down.I've wandered around a bit solo but not had the time to team up yet so that might improve things gameplay wise.
    I do like the fact it's a one of payment (bar the inevitable updates ) so if i get a bit bored and don't play for a month or so i can just pick up and play at a later date and not feel like i'm wasting my subscription fee.

I'll give it a longer session tonight and see what happens but i think i'll just renew my sub for COH for another 3 months and persevere with that for the time being.

Panic

7. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I've played it for a bit now (Level 10 W/R). I've soloed it all so far with npc henchman for the last few levels.

Can't really compare it with a MMORPG it's more a Diablo/Neverwinter night type of game.

It is a good game in it's own right, but more for a casual gamer. I think I'll wait till I get to 20 before pvping or playing another class combo.

8. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    Well I've tried to play it...keeps making my PC reboot :(

9. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not had any problems with it rebooting - unless it's windowed - but depends on what ur running and the spec of your PC I guess.

Finally at level 9 - solo with NPC's as well. Have been very nice though and helped a few people out with missions I'd already completed though. Not that I got ANY experience from that!

10. Chanser

Chanser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Got this game, I can't seem to find the henchmen.
    Where are they?

Managed to reach level 8 on my own, would like a NPC to join me and do some Charr kills :).

11. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,837
    Finally got this to work - I think I'm suffering a overheating problem as with the Pc case cover taken off it runs no problem :)

At level 5 currently (R/M)...so if anyone is around that level and wants to team up gimme a shout:)

12. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Matt

Helps if we know your character name ;)

13. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Just picked up PC Zone - it got 94% and they are almost suggesting it is better than WOW ! (Certainly cheaper!)