Any older gamers here? (30+)

50 just a couple weeks ago on 21 Sep this year.

First machine I got was a BBC Micro Model A which we soldered the extra RAM into and enjoyed Elite, Revs and well thats about it. Then Amstrad PC, SNES and then a big gap until PC and Quake in 96 :). That got me going again and moved to Xbox, Xbox 360 and PS3, and now PS4.

As others have said, perhaps its not logical, but the enjoyment hasn't gone away and thus I don't intend to let the hobby to go away.

I'm a 42 year old female gamer, I don't know any other women gamers my age. I think I only have one woman out of 75 friends on PSN.

Anyhoo, I started gaming when my Dad borrowed a Commodore Pet from work and it had a game on it where you dropped bombs from a plane on to buildings, the plane got lower with each pass of the screen (it was called Air Attack, thanks Google). Not a bad game for green-on-black system (I've been programming on another green-on-black system (IBM i) for the last 20+ years but that's another story)

Games machine history:
Commodore Pet
Commodore 64 - loved Elite on this.
Atari 1040 ST - I think this is where my gaming life really kicked off.
PC 486 SX (the DX was too expensive) - Duke Nukem!
Various PCs
Nintendo Wii
PS3 in 2009 - PC gaming got ditched at this point as we switched to Mac at home
PS4 in 2013
PS Vita in 2017

I only get to play about 5 hours a week and a bit of the Vita at lunch time, I don't want to give up gaming and will hang on tightly to what little time I get to play.
It's a really enjoyable past time and a great way to unwind after work. I tend to avoid online MP due to not having enough time to play. I'm really into HZD at the moment, time flies by so quick when playing that.

Last edited:
I'm a 42 year old female gamer, I don't know any other women gamers my age. I think I only have one woman out of 75 friends on PSN.

Anyhoo, I started gaming when my Dad borrowed a Commodore Pet from work and it had a game on it where you dropped bombs from a plane on to buildings, the plane got lower with each pass of the screen (it was called Air Attack, thanks Google). Not a bad game for green-on-black system (I've been programming on another green-on-black system (IBM i) for the last 20+ years but that's another story)

Games machine history:
Commodore Pet
Commodore 64 - loved Elite on this.
Atari 1040 ST - I think this is where my gaming life really kicked off.
PC 486 SX (the DX was too expensive) - Duke Nukem!
Various PCs
Nintendo Wii
PS3 in 2009 - PC gaming got ditched at this point as we switched to Mac at home
PS4 in 2013
PS Vita in 2017

I only get to play about 5 hours a week and a bit of the Vita at lunch time, I don't want to give up gaming and will hang on tightly to what little time I get to play.
It's a really enjoyable past time and a great way to unwind after work. I tend to avoid online MP due to not having enough time to play. I'm really into HZD at the moment, time flies by so quick when playing that.
Ah you went to the dark side owning that atari st lol, should have gone with the amiga, the best personal computer ever made in my opinion.

Spectrum ZX
MSX
Amstrad
Commodore 64
Atari
Astro Wars

51 in August
PSN: H8MPY

That's how it started for me, I even wrote code back then.. Cassette era 😄😄

57 here, no intention of stopping. I may have posted before, can't remember. Old age :)

My history:
ZX81
ZX-Spectrum
Commodore 64
Atari ST
Amiga 500 & 1200
Various PC's
Every Playstation
OG Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox 1

Currently, PS5 and The PC.
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in large lists, of gaming devices.

Funny seeing this thread resurrected.........when people posted some of their supposedly old ages it was nearly 15 years ago! So we must be ancient now!

Still playing games BTW

It's the 30+ in the title that's the kicker, surely they're whipper snapper gamers now lol..

Two weeks before my 50th birthday, seeing a post from myself in this thread from 2008 has made me feel really old :(

On the plus side I’m at least finally getting a PS5 for my birthday :)

It's the 30+ in the title that's the kicker, surely they're whipper snapper gamers now lol..
Yeah i was going to ask a mod to change the title to "45+", but we're probably getting a few of them young 'un 30s, and wouldn't want to exclude them ;)

Yeah i was going to ask a mod to change the title to "45+", but we're probably getting a few of them young 'un 30s, and wouldn't want to exclude them ;)
I've still a couple of years left with a number beginning with 3... then I'll feel middle aged...ish

54 this year in a couple of months

History

Atari 2600
ZX spectrum 48k
N64
PS 1,2,3,4 & 5
I have had various computers in that time no dedicated gaming rig.

Current PS 4 & 5

On PSN under “Ironmaiden66six”

Enjoy first person shooters and RPG

Cheers

58 soon and getting a massive amount of joy from the Steam Deck especially with some of the indie games and emu's which I had no inkling of playing before, it's also been great for tinkering and just as much fun getting stuff running.Currently spooking myself out with Darkwood and picking up the guitar once again with Rocksmith.

Funny seeing this thread resurrected.........when people posted some of their supposedly old ages it was nearly 15 years ago! So we must be ancient now!

Still playing games BTW

Indeed, I was well over 30 in 2008 :(

42 here and regularly play online with mates, one of whom I've known since I was six! I take great pleasure in beating my nephews and their mates online when they challenge "the ancient ones" :smashin: :D
Still a big kid.

Soon to be 52 and still loving it.

Well, I'm a straight 40, but still carry on like I'm 21... I certainly don't consider myself to be old, but my kids may disagree.

too many youngsters in this thread :smoke:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom