1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any of you ever had a violent & threatening (prank?) phone call?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ~Kev H~, May 19, 2005.

1. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure what to think about this..

About an hour ago I picked up a "With-held number" call on my mobile.

It was from another mobile, the reception was pretty rubbish. But the person on the other end was accusing that my "number" was on his "girls phone" :confused:

After some general confusion and me not beleiving what i was hearing it basically went along the lines of

?? : "Why the **** is your number on my girls phone?"
    Me: "What ARE you on about.. Who is this?"
    ?? : "I know where you live you better watch yourself, you gonna get yourself murdered"
    Me: (laughter) - (thinking this is some stupid prank call at this stage)
    ?? : "I'll be round there to **** you up, I'm gonna murder you"
    Me: "Listen buddy I have no idea who you are or who you're talking about so give it a rest" - Then i hung up

At first I walked back into the lounge laughing and saying "Well that was an odd call" but after a while I actually started to feel a tiny bit... almost shaken up, that someone had said that to me :(

A friend in the house has said he had a very similar call a long time ago that turned out to be a friend playing a recording down the phone, but it seemed like the bloke was conversing with me.

Anyone ever received a call like that? Did it turn out to be a prank?

Kev

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Kev,

I've not received any prank calls on a mobile, but if you are genuinely concerned, or if this person calls back again, contact your mobile phone company AND the local police. They can then trace all calls coming into your phone, and locate where the caller is, and what number they are calling from.

Good Luck! :)

Pooch

3. Master Rahl

Master Rahl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you have a *57 number you can dial to trace the last call?

4. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I had exactly the same call today at just after lunch time.
    Not funny :mad: My mind was going a million miles an hour while it happened and I politely said I was hanging up the phone and did so.

I found out it was a prank fairly soon afterwards.

I checked on the web sites for this particular prank but couldn't see it. Most were situation pranks ala you've been framed.

This one is plain sick and if anyone could point me in the direction of the origin of the call I would like to make my own 'prank' call to them. :mad: :mad:

5. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Pooch, I was fully intending to contact the police if they rung back.

Alan, I have just text the ex-ex-Missus to see if it was her (she pulled off quite a funny al-pachino sound-board on me once before) and she said it wasnt. When I told her what had been said she said "Thats a prank call, its been going around for ages"

I'll see what I can find out for you

I'll be back - Kev

6. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hilarious! :confused:

7. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I know this isnt being very productive,but stop being such a errr jessy :rolleyes:

Almost definatley a prank call from 1 of your mates,theres an absolute abundance of soundboards like that on the net these days.

...and if its not a prank,just have the old baseball bat handy in the house ;)

8. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK so now we all know not to fall for a "prank" call like I described above. But even now I know this was just done for a bit of a giggle I still dont find it funny.

It's one thing ringing someone up and using funny celebrity quotes to confuse them.

Making someone wonder for 2 or so hours whether or not someone somewhere, for some reason, wants to track them down and "murder" them is a bit sick.

Not funny.

Kev

9. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    guilty conscience :D

10. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    It is either a prank from one of your mates or just someone selecting a random number.

I had a series of text exchanges with someone a few weeks ago who said that I had met them in the bar the night before, we'd had a good time and I had given them my mobile number. I was home with the family in the night in question but the person knew my (first) name and I dont ever give my personal mobile number out (cos I never have it on, always give my work mobile instead) but it was the personal mobile they text to. The discription of the person who gave the number was nothing like me either. Sure it was a prank by a friend but dont know the number and didnt recognise the voice... that or someone intentionally gave my number/ some with the same name accidently gave my number to a stranger :rolleyes:

11. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I work in telecomms, and you can find the id of the last caller when withheld. I use it when i miss a withheld call, (and if im at work I can get it instantly). I did ring in once to my collegues to get me a number when I got an abusive call , and managd to do a very good return call on them, I had their number they were now unable to hide.

However, i work on the engineering side, where we need these tools, so maybe it will be a good ideato ring your mobile operator, im sure that cutomer service wont have access to this service (ours dont) but they can possibly help as all mobile operators have a guideline and service to help.

12. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm not into chavvy ringtones and mobile crap you can download and although I am aware of 'prank calls' I sure as hell don't respond well to someone telling me they know where I live and I will be kneecapped and murdered in a non joking manner.

I have, in a previous life, made some work based enemys which I imediatley thought of when this happened.

I don't consider myself a gullable jessy mind :lesson:

13. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We figured out who the culprit was and how it was done. It's a ring-tone type recording (I assume an MP3) with well timed gaps for you to respond.

And yes it was one of my "mates", someone sent it to him on his mobile, he did appologise when he realised how un-funny I found it.

I still havent seen anything on the internet about it which is odd. Maybe I'm not googling for the right thing.

Kev

14. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    good news Kev :) I still be tempted to give him a little slap though :rolleyes: