Any Nikon D5000 Users?

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Been asked by a colleague to give some kinda feedback on the Nikon D5000.

Using the net, and not having used the Nikon D5000 myself, I have printed some words and saved some video on that model. Even have info on the re-call earlier in 2009 when it 1st came out (And hope Nikon have fixed that now) and the general feedback from lots of Other sites and Youtube.

Now as a long standing member of AVF the final thing I need is some hands on general feedback from actual users of the Nikon D5000 from here. So if you are happy or unhappy with the camera can you please give a brief honest opinion on your camera for me? Thanks in advance. The person buying this has a very limited knowledge of photography and Nikon, and I recommended this model....... hope that helps.

icemanonline

Dony

Distinguished Member
I got my D5000 at Christmas, and as a complete novice I have found it very easy to use and understand. Having come from an oldish 3.2mp digital camera, I'm obviously pleased with the results the Nikon has given me to date.

I'm still coming to terms with using software to get the best out of my pics, but this will come with practice.

Only slight concern, and I'd appreciate if anyone more experienced can help me, is the shutter speed.
I was with a friend on Sunday who owns a D60 and knows more about dslr's in general than I do. He thought that the shutter speed on my camera was quite slow, despite the pictures he was taking turning out very well (action shots). Because the results were good, he thought it may have been something to do with the mirror :confused:

Sorry I can't be more help except to say that I've no regrets. :thumbsup:

derek1971

I also am new to dslr and got a D5000 for Xmas. I am really pleased with it. I was previously using a Sony point and shoot so the difference is night and day.

The only word of warning i would give is that undoubtedly the fact that the D5000 does not have in body autofocus and therefore needs lenses with auto focus motors means that if you are buying additional lenses then these will tend to be that bit more expensive.

In terms of image quality and in particular low light performance it is imo stunning. I have already managed to take a number of photos (just candid family shots at home) where the results are great and if i wanted could be used for prints where this simply was not possible with my previous point and shoot.

Regarding the above post about shutter speed i really don't understand what the concern is. The shutter speed goes from 1/4000 to 30 seconds (and also has a "bulb" setting for longer exposure). The only thing i can think is meant by this is that when using live view the camera makes a different noise which i understand is the mirror moving back in to the correct position to take the photo before the shutter noise - this may be what the post refers to but if it is all i can say is that it is certainly not a problem:thumbsup:

Solero

Novice Member
Got my D5000 last year and love it, although as it was my first DSLR I don't have much to compare it with!
As a lot of the reviews state it's an excellent camera for entry level users and I have found it pretty user friendly as a DSLR beginner, even the user manual was pretty helpful to get me started.
The rotatable screen is a pretty cool feature and have found myself using this more than I expected.

derek1971

One other thing i forgot to mention if the person you are recommending it to has limited photographic knowledge which is very helpful on the D5000 is that there is a help button on the camera itself.
If you are in the menu and are selecting any function on the camera you can press the help button and it gives a little info on what the function does - often there is also a picture showing the result of using the function. Comes in handy if you are out and about and don't have the manual to hand:smashin:

leaky5

Novice Member
Only slight concern, and I'd appreciate if anyone more experienced can help me, is the shutter speed.
I was with a friend on Sunday who owns a D60 and knows more about dslr's in general than I do. He thought that the shutter speed on my camera was quite slow, despite the pictures he was taking turning out very well (action shots). Because the results were good, he thought it may have been something to do with the mirror :confused:
The D5000 has Quiet Release Mode. KR says that it slows down the mirror and mechanics to make it quieter.

Nikon D5000

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom