any news on the epson 1080 hitting the uk?

jamiev

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
its already here in the uk, hence you can order it from most sites, and not 'pre-order it'. Thats a good deal with ps3!

Critters

I had a demo of it today thanks to the nice guy at av-sales and (compared to my little HD70 and what I *expected* from a 1080p Projector costing over 3x the money) WOW!

The demo room had the Epson and the Panny PT-AE1000 (which is quite a bit more £££) the image from the Epson was as good if not better (colours mainly) compared to the panny. On pure white senes there was a slight blue tint to the left and red to the right, but invisible to the eye on anyting other than a solid light colour.

I still don't think there is a difference between 720 + 1080 for SD DVD, on HD material I can see it, and you can instantly tell the difference in games.

On a side note, it was either the PS3 or the Epson, but something was doing a very VERY good job of up-scaling SD DVD's I think the PS3 was outputting at 576p and the epson was up scaling to 1080p and the end result was very impressive.

jamiev

I had a demo of it today thanks to the nice guy at av-sales and (compared to my little HD70 and what I *expected* from a 1080p Projector costing over 3x the money) WOW!

The demo room had the Epson and the Panny PT-AE1000 (which is quite a bit more £££) the image from the Epson was as good if not better (colours mainly) compared to the panny. On pure white senes there was a slight blue tint to the left and red to the right, but invisible to the eye on anyting other than a solid light colour.

I still don't think there is a difference between 720 + 1080 for SD DVD, on HD material I can see it, and you can instantly tell the difference in games.

On a side note, it was either the PS3 or the Epson, but something was doing a very VERY good job of up-scaling SD DVD's I think the PS3 was outputting at 576p and the epson was up scaling to 1080p and the end result was very impressive.

thanks, you can get the panny on ebay for £1900!
how much was the epson that you viewed?
prob an oppo 981 doing the upscaling?
so u are saying that you should only buy a 1080p pj if you are going to use bd or hd dvd's on an outout of 1080p?say with the tosh xe1?
other wise its pointless having a 1080p pj?
what 720p pj would you buy?:lease:
thanks
jamie

Critters

1. you can get the panny on ebay for £1900!
2. how much was the epson that you viewed?
3. prob an oppo 981 doing the upscaling?
4. so u are saying that you should only buy a 1080p pj if you are going to use bd or hd dvd's on an outout of 1080p? say with the tosh xe1?
5. other wise its pointless having a 1080p pj?
6. what 720p pj would you buy?

1. There is discussion as to if that is grey import or not and if so what that means in terms of warranty / service?

2. £2,550 ish with free PS3, same deal on many UK sites, give or take £50

3. I think I am right in saying the PS3 deinterlaced to 576p and the epson up scaled to its native 1080p

4. I don't see why you would buy a 1080 if you are never going to use a HD source. If you are only doing SD stuff (sky / tv / dvd) then a 720 is more than capable.

5. The 1080p projectors also tend to have other latest / cutting edge tech in them, it's not all about the resolution.

6. I have a HD70 which I think is great, if the Epson TW700 is anything like its bigger brother then that is prob worth a look also. When it comes to picking a PJ my best advice is to get as many demos as you can and look around this forum to see which PJs people are raving about.

howieeb

1. There is discussion as to if that is grey import or not and if so what that means in terms of warranty / service?

I thought they were eu models and came with a 1 year international warranty. Don't quote me on it though.

Critters

I thought they were eu models and came with a 1 year international warranty. Don't quote me on it though.

But I just have ;)
If you buy in the UK and pay an extra £600 it seems you are getting:

1. 3 yr. On-site swap out (3 year or 1 lamp, whichever first on lamp)
  2. Next day delivery
  3. Free PS3

But...

1. I'm not sure the international warranty is on-site swap out
  2. I'm not sure if the amazon deal includes a PS3

If the above 2 points are correct then it's £600 for a better warranty (which is 3 times longer) and a £400 Blueray / console

And what price can you place on dealing with a good UK dealer who can demo it to you b4 you buy? ;) And an excuse to get a PS3 past the wife!

S

spikerules

I have this projector atm and I am not very happy with the uniformity issues that causes and blue and red tint accross the screen on light images. I also dislike that fact that with all text through my ps3/pc AND mac you get a sort of ringing effect which creates different colours within the text. Most users have noticed that when the image is still within the PJ gamut options, the picture is much clearer, which leads me to believe that this is a firmware issue rather than a hardware fault.

My issues with this PJ are: -
Dust blobs
Uniformity issues
text ringing/colour issues
occasional focus issues whereas it is sometimes impossible to get the right level of focus on the damn thing

Other than these faults the PJ creates a nice image and 1080p games like C&C3 and WOW, along with PS3 games, are superb. With 1080p films via my PS3 the picture seems soft and there are what seems to be motion judder artefacts. I am guessing this is because the PS3 isn't outputting a 24p image. I assume Sony will release an update to fix this in the future.

Critters

I can only comment based on my 1 hour viewing, which is nothing compared to your ownership, but:

I did notice the Red -> Blue tints on white or near white scenes, mainly on shots of sky, I would imagining something like happy feet of march of the penguins would show this up a lot, it was not strong, and other than on pure white I think you may have to be looking for it.

There were no dust blobs.. any way to blow them off? Are they large shadow-like fuzzy things? Do you have any photos of them? If you got dust blobs, is that not a warranty thing?

I saw text up close (maybe 3 foot away) when the PS3 was running GTHD and the light grey / white text was clear of any borders or colour strangeness, there was some red bleed with white text on black but that was when viewing SD DVD and only on this one part where there was a large white word on black.

Focus seemed OK, but with only an hour viewing it's impossible to pass judgment on that.

S

spikerules

I can only comment based on my 1 hour viewing, which is nothing compared to your ownership, but:

I did notice the Red -> Blue tints on white or near white scenes, mainly on shots of sky, I would imagining something like happy feet of march of the penguins would show this up a lot, it was not strong, and other than on pure white I think you may have to be looking for it.

There were no dust blobs.. any way to blow them off? Are they large shadow-like fuzzy things? Do you have any photos of them? If you got dust blobs, is that not a warranty thing?

I saw text up close (maybe 3 foot away) when the PS3 was running GTHD and the light grey / white text was clear of any borders or colour strangeness, there was some red bleed with white text on black but that was when viewing SD DVD and only on this one part where there was a large white word on black.

Focus seemed OK, but with only an hour viewing it's impossible to pass judgment on that.

For text the best way of seeing the issues are if you use a web browser. The main problem is with smaller font. Games seem to be fine as the font is in bold and normally large most of the time.

As for the focus... well I think its either the lens shift or maybe something else, as today the focus seems spot on? Something in my room may be causing this, but who knows.

The dust blobs are not very noticeable, but are there and are distracting. I dont have a good camera to take pics of them, but I assure you, they ARE there. I am still waiting on Epson to resolve these issues, but I hope to hear from them soon.

Critters

OK, I don't doubt you have dust blobs, I just have never seen them so wanted to see what they look like. I hope Epson resolve it for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom