1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any news on new Tosh flagship? Does Denon DVD A1 have SACD?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Kane D Williams, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi there

Can anyone shed any light on the rumoured Toshiba SD910/920/930 (whatever)? Also, I'm sure I was told by a Denon rep (at Bristol Show), that the European version of the DVD 9000, the A1, will include SACD, but maybe my memory is just bad (it is)?

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers Kane

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Hi

The Toshiba, still waiting for details.

The Denon WONT have SACD BUT (!!) the chip it uses (ESS Vibrato) can easily be updated to cater for it, so theres still a possibility.

3. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Jase

Just heard from a dude on AVS that the Tosh SD9500 (US) will have 14bit 108Mhz video DAC's a la Denon DVD A1! It should be available around September!

I wonder what other goodies it has on board? I hope it is good value?

Kane

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    I´m still tempted by the Denon A1 despite not having SACD.

Top notch video quality is what I´m after to be honest so it´ll be interesting to see what the Tosh is like (pretty good I would think considering their past products!).

I´m in no rush to buy so I´ll just sit this one out for a while!!

5. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I've been toying with the idea of upgrading from my Toshiba SD100 for a while. Either the Denon or the new Tosh sounds ideal. But do you think there'll be much noticeable improvement in picture quality? That's the most important thing to me. At the moment, I'm getting a superb picture on my 56" Toshiba RPTV using RGB scart. Sadly the TV doesn't have component inputs.

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    If you have no component input and no progressive scan capable viewing device, then you are only looking a few addition features (DVD A / SACD) with limited support and dubious long term merits. Quality would be better on the basic DVD thing but whether that would be realised through a SCART would be interesting.It would have to be a serious case as these players are not cheap, serious money. Be careful on spending your money on this an upgrade. Make sure you are convinced on the benefits to you (not paper specs) beforehand. It might not be the right route.

7. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It is now possible to get the Toshiba 900E for about £700 - is this a good deal, or will it be rendered obsolete when the new Tosh player comes out later this year? From all the reviews I've been reading, the picture quality of the 900E sounds fantastic - so it is difficult to see how the new machine could make great progress beyond this - without having to spend a fortune on a new tele / projector.

I'm also very much into audio, so the audiophile side of this player is also very interesting. Don't know whether DVD-A or SACD will win (or whether both will lose) - however it is very tempting to get at least one of these when getting a new DVD player, at least just to investigate the possibilities of these new media.

Dave48

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    The 900E for 700 quid is a bit of a bargain (I´m very tempted by it but want to see what the new Denons like!!).

Picture & sound quality are top notch, its easily one of the best (if not THE best) around at the moment (apart from the high end players, TAG for example).

It´ll probably come down again in price when the replacement comes out which will make it even more of a bargain!!

9. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    Thanks for the reply. I'm not that interested in DVD-A/SACD either, so I think I'll have to demo one of these players at home to see whether there is enough improvement in picture quality to warrant an upgrade. I doubt it.

10. Edgeyboy

Edgeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Quite how Denon can charge £2.5K for this player is beyond me.

11. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hey, check this out. This is a post from someone on AVS!

SD-920E
    specs:
    dvd-audio , sacd , progressive out , 5.1 DD decoder , dts decoder , 3d virtual surround , mp3 , cdr/w , vcd , svcd DVI ! , 3 parallel DAC , RGB in SCART , 6 channel output. Color black 1500 euro
    out first or second week of April

SD-520
    specs: dvd , dvd-audio , sa-cd , mpr , cdr , cdrw , vcd , svcd , cd-text , black or silver, 499,00 EUR regionfree
    out first or second week of April

I heard about these players on a dutch forum and on a site from an audio-shop
    www.audiovision.nl/
    www.xsorbit3.com/users/J....1010428955

DVD-A and SACD (Both - Nice), DVI (920 only - Nice), Prices (Nice), according to other post 14Bit 108Mhz Video DAC (920 - Nice).

If these are correct, definately a contender against Pioneer 747 and even Denon AVC A1(half price)!?