1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any news on my DVD RECORDER/HDD dream machine?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Ellispa, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I don't want much.

Just a DVD recorder that has a built in hard drive, a HDMI output that can up scale to 720p and 1080i well, RGB input, can playback DVD-Ram even if it can't record it, and can playback any kind of media that I throw at it, including Divx and Xvid, DVD Audio and SACD.

And its quiet.

With a Freeview tuner.

Something like the new Panny EH50 mixed with the Samsung HD945 would be cool. Neither of these machines are that chunky, surely it wouldn't be too hard to squeeze all the good bits into a reasonably sized box.

Isn't convergence all the rage at the moment. I want my cake, and I'm quite prepared to eat it too!

And if someones in the mood, can you explain to me why Samsung would release a DVD player that can't payback the DVD RAM discs you could create on its DVD Recorder?

Any why they just don't make it illegal to sell analogue tuners in TV's. I heard the enviromental costs of all the extra decoder boxes we need to leave on standby under all the analogue TV's and video/DVD recorders we are selling right now will be far greater than the monetary cost of making the digital switch.

Drifted a bit of topic there, but I thought it had to be said.

Paul

2. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You and me both agree. I've been posting away for ages about the manufacturers taking us for a ride by selling us Analogue Tuners when we all need Digital. I've written to Ofcom and DTI and had letters in the mags.
    The pathetic manufacturers line seems to be the market in Europe isn't big enough.
    This at a time when the majority of UK homes have digital. The shut down of Analogue has started in Wales.
    France, Germany, Italy have started Digital Terrestial Terrestial. Spain, Holland and others are all in the process of changing over.
    The cost of the tuner is irrelevant.
    It's simply the Government hasn't taken control of the issue and has concentrated purely on the Transmission timetable and not the receiver issue, which they regard as "market driven" thus leaving the manufacturers free to make as much profit from the gullible as possible!
    We've seen confusing logos on kit and manufacturers know that by confusing the average customer they can sell an Analogue Tuner box and then sell another Digital Tuner box as either an add-on or as a replacement.
    Even Sony, which is starting to bring out new models at the moment, has launched the first new model with only an Analogue Tuner. Their Digital Tuner models are due in September/October.
    Having got that off my chest again!!!! :eek:
    It would be great to see your "Dream Machine" but I doubt it will happen.
    One question - is RAM your chosen format because of it's usability? If so wouldn't we still need the other two formats, -DVD and +DVD, for ultimate compatablity? We have Sony with + and - , and Panasonic with RAM and -R, so why not have all 3 in one machine?
    Don't forget we want Blue Ray and HD-DVD compatability as well!
    Oh, and easily removable Hard Disc so we can upgrade as costs reduce.
    It' good to dream! :devil:

3. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    ...and to be able to record 5.1 via an optical audio input....!

4. HowardAmos

HowardAmos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly digital tuners cost a lot more. Naturally they contain some kind of analogue circuitry that is the basic tuner, then a powerful microprocessor (as powerful as a modern PC) that decodes the video in real-time. Putting a digital decoder in a TV would add perhaps as much as £40. Thats a lot in the aggressive consumer TV market.

I have a freeview box, but I don't use it much - the reception is lousy all along the south coast where the signals cannot be boosted because it would interfere with French TV. So if all TVs had digital tuners, I would have to pay extra for an analogue add-on tuner (which would cost a fortune because the volumes wouldn't make it pay).

I guess my only option is to get a Sky box and dish.

Yes, I have a big aerial - triple 2m Yagi on 3m pole, with very low loss downlead (10mm diameter) and a booster. Not much more I can do that I can think of.

5. Ellispa

Ellispa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    To my mind, though, the decision has been made. We are going digital.

All the issues regarding the South Coast will need to be resolved, and pretty smartish, because Digital will need to work.

So, bearing that in mind, it makes no sense for manufacturers or shops to sell TV's and videos without digital tuners as well as analogue. If they all have to do it, the cost implications won't affect the market because everyone's prices will increase.

If it really is £40, then thats still cheaper than a set top box, and certainly a lot more energy efficient than having two boxes soaking up the kilowatts in standby.

Paul

6. Evil Engineer

Evil Engineer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    40 quid seems a bit steep for a built in digital tuner when you can get a cheapo freeview box for 50 notes.

And that includes 17.5% VAT and the retailer's margin.

Still, we know what the manufacturers are like.

Sony charging premium prices for obsolete plasmas, all for the sake of a few quid spent on a HDMI input springs to mind.

7. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +212
    HowardAmos: I'm surprised you get Freeview reception problems on the South coast. Here in Dorset - a long way from the transmitter, the reception is fine with a normal aerial.

8. Martin68

Martin68

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    whats £40 quid in todays terms anyway, i think thats cheap when you compare it to the following: a tank of petrol about £50 and only lasts about 1or 2 weeks of avarage driving, a weekly family food shopping trolly £80, and that only last 1 week! i could go on, simply the cost of living is going up year by year and people still pay for it, then a digital tuner for £40 and you think thats expensive??? at least it will last for years, remember the days when vcr's cost £500, people still bought them! just how much more cheaper do people want electronics to get?, they are already throwing them at us at such rediculsly low prices, they might just as well give them away, it seems to me that technology have no value anymore, and im in the tv repair trade slowly going out of business because people seem to all of a sudden want every thing so cheap, in the old days you were prowd of what you saved up to aford to buy, today you just buy it like a tin of baked beans. so please dont think £40 is a lot because its NOT just compare it with the cost of every day living, i think £10'000 for a new car is a lot, why dont they throw them at us for say £100 pounds, afterall they are mass produced too, just move the factorys to china! you dont know just how good youve all got it with the price of electronics today, ive got it bad because im losing my livelyhood!
    but i do agree that manufactorers should change to using digital tuners as standard, ive been looking for a dvd/hdd digital tuner recorder for ages now but theres still none on the market yet, or am i wrong?

9. rogerh

rogerh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    HowardAmos- the South East coast (where I guess you must live) has problems due to the Hougham transmitter and the Boulogne transmitter being just accross the water from each other. Added to this areas like Dover have valleys and hills.
    The reception issue is short term as Hougham will increase it's power as the French are also already transmitting in terrestial digital and also keen to get their reception right. Any problems with Analogue/Digital clashes will then be resolved.
    As to the cost of a Digital tuner I don't accept £40 as the manufacturers cost and even if it were, this country, together with everyone else, is going digital so Digital Tuners are required to receive a TV signal!
    As has been pointed out by Martin68, any small cost increase can easily be absorbed as the maket volume increases and should certainly be seen in perspective.
    Additional set top boxes are undesireable for lots of reasons and are at best only a short term "botch" to get round older kit having old Analogue tuners.
    It simply is not good enough for manufacturers to be allowed to carry on milking the market by selling us Analogue tuners when Analogue is being phased out, and then getting us to the position where we MUST buy a Digital tuner to receive a TV signal! :mad: