1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any news on King Kong?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by kevsy, Mar 6, 2003.

1. kevsy

kevsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    King Kong is slated for Region 1 release next year - does anyone know any details? I'm guessing it will be released by Turner Home Entertainment, who produced the restored LD, but there's no info on their website. Hopefully the DVD will source from the 'uncensored' print used for the LD, but also include the infamous 'spiders' sequence when Kong tips the sailors off the log bridge. As far as I know this was only available on a Kong/Son of Kong double LD in the early 90's. Any info much appreciated!;)

2. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    as I understand it, the spider footage was all destroyed after it was removed when test screenings found the public thinking it was just too darn horrific to watch:rolleyes:
    If true, it's a shame. I'm not aware of it ever appearing anywhere as anything other than stills.
    I read an update on how things are going (very slowly by all accounts) on the restoration at either www.thedigitalbits.com or www.dvdreview.com or www.dvdfile.com in the last 2 or 3 months (i'm pretty sure it was since Xmas) so a search at one of those should throw up some info. There's no real details about what's going to be on the disc(s) yet though.

It's one I'm looking forward to aswell.

3. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Second what Rambo says - I remember something being written along the lines of `they wanted it out for this year/anniversary and all that,but due to wanting it just right - and who dosen`t - it might be pushed to later this year or the start of next year` i can wait,it`s a classic and if they need extra time so be it,just bring on the monkey :smashin:

4. Aglaophonos

Aglaophonos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard 4th Quarter 2003, 1st Quarter 2004.........should be a good one when it eventually comes out!

5. kevsy

kevsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the info - and if they really want to get it right they'll get Kong himself for a commentary track grin:

6. sinbrad

sinbrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know which version you are talking about guy's but I have the version with jessica lange as the main star. No doubt though your talking about the black and white original??

7. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +853
    :laugh:
    I do have a soft spot for the remake though

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Me too... The bottom of a swamp.

9. Marcus Skidd

Marcus Skidd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the bottom of a swamp likely to be a hard spot. :confused:

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Depends on the swampiosity of the swamp, or something...

:)

11. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    King Kong is superb in so many ways and I can't wait for it's 'proper' dvd outing. I recall first seeing it as a child and being drawn in fully and marvelling at throughout. But then later again at not only the subject but the classic horror and nipple/breastage combo that later became the staple of all good horrors - that is until pc correctness even spoilt that a t/bit for some.:rolleyes: :devil: :laugh:

12. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Latest news on the restoration is that it is now looking like early 2004 before we see it. Apparently one of the extras is the audio from the spider sequence combined with stills and storyboards.

There is however a faint hope that some footage may be located, apparently there's a search going on in the Phillipines as it seems complete prints of the movie were sent there in 1933.

Along with the cut footage from "The Magnificent Ambersons" (coincidentally another RKO movie) this footge must be the Holy Grail for movie buffs everywhere.

There is always hope though. Previously lost RKO materials have been discovered all over the world recently. One of their most acclaimed movies "The Devil And Daniel Webster" suffered a similar fate to Kong in that it had about 20mins of footage removed shortly after its initial screenings. This footage lost for more than 60 years has recently been discovered and a Criterion restoration for DVD is under way.

A complete "Ambersons" and "Kong" and I can die a happy man!

By the way, did you know that Peter Jackson, director of "Lord of the Rings" has written a script for a "Kong" remake, complete with spider sequence? Follow this link for the complete first draft script and a picture of Jackson with some Kong models. See if you can guess which is the planned cameo appearance for Fay Wray.

http://www.aboyd.com/kong/jacksonkong.html#

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    But why would anyone want to watch the old King Kong when you can have the Jessica Lange/Jeff Bridges version in colour?

:laugh: :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Sorry, you must excuse the sarcasm. I'm a bit traumatised from having watched several minutes of "King Kong Lives" on the SciFi Channel yesterday. :eek: :boring::suicide:

14. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    According to this thread Peter Jackson is to direct a new remake.