Any news on 5.1 through HDMI?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by t-force, Sep 14, 2007.

1. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has been asked/answered before:

Are there any plans for Sky to allow 5.1 sound to be carried over HDMI? Is it a hardware or firmware limitation that stops this from happening now? Is seems rather daft to have to have an extra optical connection on top of the HDMI one, when that could carry everything very easily.

2. CaffeineJunkie

CaffeineJunkie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    HDMI is quite capable of carrying 5.1. It just seems that it was a choice by SKY to limit the design.

It has been suggested that this decision was taken as the primary role of SKY HD was to be connected to TV's and that TV's don't usually support 5.1. Some TV's may not even accept the 5.1 signal.

I don't know if that's true or not, just that it has been suggested.

3. Broadz

Broadz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    All AV amplifiers and receivers capable of decoding Dolby Digital 5.1 have an optical digital input. Very few have HDMI input. Very, very few TVs (which is what most people will connect their HDMI cable to) have a Dolby Digital decoder in them.

Keep the audio and the video separate. Therefore, different cables for HD video and DD audio.

4. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    I'm not saying they need to get rid of the optical, but for those of us who have (or will have) an HDMI-enabled amp/receiver, why not include it. Sky even say on their own site you can do it:

Your Sky installer will connect your Sky HD box to your HD-ready TV using an HDMI cable (instead of the normal SCART connector). This simple all-in-one connection carries the HD picture and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound together. Remember to check that your TV carries the HD Ready logo.

To say that, and then not allow 5.1 through HDMI seems particularly odd.

Surely any TV that can't accept 5.1 over HDMI can just ignore the signal?

5. richie05

richie05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I have to agree. I have a DVD player which outputs 5.1 on the HDMI cable and a TV which will pass this through to my surround amp. If I want to listen to my sky-hd i have to connect it via the optical output.
    As I understand it most modern tellies will pass through the 5.1 signal even if they themselves can't do anything else with it. As a result I have to use the optical out, convert it to coaxial and ask my telly to use this instead of the HDMI audio from the sky box and then let the telly pass it on to the surround amp. This works well as when I switch sources the audio switches as well and there is no need for a clatter of remotes.

Richie