Any new uhd Blu-ray 4k player on 2021?

800 euro and 1600 euro.
Not bad for a quality piece of kit but a little too much for my budget. Will be interested to see how others get on with them.

I've got a BD-F6500 at the moment. Free from Amazon after my TV stopped supporting Prime video! That was 2013 though so funny imagine they'd do that now. I think even a UB820 would be a big upgrade.

Whoo hoo, another analogue out player, 8 channel DAC, looking at the spec it looks like to might be lower grade audio than the 9000 with the AKM DACs

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 11.28.17.png

Looks like it has a linear power supply

Screenshot 2021-05-10 at 11.38.59.png

What's the advantage of the analogue out?
Popular with people who had SACDs but didn't have an AV amp that could decode DSD. Stereo analogue out means you can connect by HDMI to an AV amp for films and a stereo analogue connection to a standalone stereo amp.

These new players would certainly more than suit me as I do need a proper UD player for both SACD and DVD-A. Saying that I hope my Pioneer LX500 lasts for a few more years yet.

Whoo hoo, another analogue out player, 8 channel DAC, looking at the spec it looks like to might be lower grade audio than the 9000 with the AKM DACs

View attachment 1509076
Yeah, no mention of the X200 also having a 2ch DAC like the UB9000 does in addition to it's 8ch one.
UB9000 2ch AKM AK4493 DAC - 123dB 768kHz / 32-bit 2 ch
Reavon X-200 TI PCM1690 - 113dB 192kHz / 24 bit 8 ch

Edit: just noticed the 24 bit Delta Sigma DAC noted in the specs (which could be a 2ch one). That the specs give so much info on the 8 ch DAC but fail to give anything on a possible 2ch one makes it look like it is the PCM1690 (a delta sigma DAC) which is being referred to by that..

Last edited:
Yeah, no mention of the X200 also having a 2ch DAC like the UB9000 does in addition to it's 8ch one.
UB9000 2ch AKM AK4493 DAC - 123dB 768kHz / 32-bit 2 ch
Reavon X-200 TI PCM1690 - 113dB 192kHz / 24 bit 8 ch

Edit: just noticed the 24 bit Delta Sigma DAC noted in the specs (which could be a 2ch one). That the specs give so much info on the 8 ch DAC but fail to give anything on a possible 2ch one makes it look like it is the PCM1690 (a delta sigma DAC) which is being referred to by that..

The 8 channel DAC is lower spec 113 vs 115 SNR and probably more importantly -94 vs-107 THD, I dont see how they could use the 8 channel and mirror additional RCA and balanced so suspect it does somewhere have a two channel as well, like the 9000

Not sure how they sound might compare but I'd like to try one, I do doubt my modded 9000 would be worse though as the LPS is extremely good and the component changes have made notable improvements. Also its only a 2U case as well so a squeeze inside as well- no doubt

The 8 channel DAC is lower spec 113 vs 115 SNR and probably more importantly -94 vs-107 THD, I dont see how they could use the 8 channel and mirror additional RCA and balanced so suspect it does somewhere have a two channel as well, like the 9000

Not sure how they sound might compare but I'd like to try one, I do doubt my modded 9000 would be worse though as the LPS is extremely good and the component changes have made notable improvements. Also its only a 2U case as well so a squeeze inside as well- no doubt
That's what I thought re the wiring, it would be a right mess to cable the stereo front L/R pair of the 8ch plus 2ch RCA and XLR.

Maybe they are just using another 8ch DAC but in 2ch mode only.
Spec say DACs rather than DAC which it would be if there was only the one Texas Instruments Burr-Brown Audio PCM1690 DACs

That's what I thought re the wiring, it would be a right mess to cable the stereo front L/R pair of the 8ch plus 2ch RCA and XLR.

Maybe they are just using another 8ch DAC but in 2ch mode only.
Spec say DACs rather than DAC which it would be if there was only the one Texas Instruments Burr-Brown Audio PCM1690 DACs
True, Looks like the 1690 is their best 8 channel DAC.

Can any universal UHD spinners stream MQA from Tidal or is that a pipe dream?

Can any universal UHD spinners stream MQA from Tidal or is that a pipe dream?
Mine can't. Pioneer LX500, if you're lucky enough to find one. Don't know about Panasonic but they are not UD players and lack SACD or DVD-A abilities.

Mine can't. Pioneer LX500, if you're lucky enough to find one. Don't know about Panasonic but they are not UD players and lack SACD or DVD-A abilities.

Im just after one box that can spin SACD/DVD-A and have the ability to stream Tidal MQA so I can get rid of a few boxes (PS3/Pioneer) and upgrade to a 4k Machine...

Im just after one box that can spin SACD/DVD-A and have the ability to stream Tidal MQA so I can get rid of a few boxes (PS3/Pioneer) and upgrade to a 4k Machine...
You're problem is going to finding a quality SACD spinner. There's none around. The best has to be the Pioneer LX500/800 twins but they are as rare as rocking horse poo. The new Reavon players are UD and they will be coming into the UK at some point. If you look on the thread on this board you may get some more information. I think MQA is going to be a standalone issue although I've not thoroughly checked the link below.

Plenty of high quality stereo SACD players around but again MQA and HDCD is still missing. I've got one MQA disc but I'm more interested in the mastering for the UHQ-CD side of it and I've got another three on order. As far as SACD goes I would say that the vast majority of mine are hybrid stereo anyway.

Sorry for missing this, the answer to your question is more the disadvantages of HDMI for audio Is it time for a processor ?
Thanks, that's very interesting. I can imagine those high end processors sound fantastic. The MP-50 for instance is the kind of money I spend on a car so well out of my budget. When things unlock I'll try and get out to listen to some high end set ups, I've not heard better than I have, which is really bottom end.

Thanks, that's very interesting. I can imagine those high end processors sound fantastic. The MP-50 for instance is the kind of money I spend on a car so well out of my budget. When things unlock I'll try and get out to listen to some high end set ups, I've not heard better than I have, which is really bottom end.

The Trinnov, Storm, Lyngdorf, Acurus are all good, but I'm not convinced that £13-16k is actually worth it for me. I have another plan as I am not using overhead speakers and personally prefer not to EQ anything other than the subs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom