1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any new ProgScan CRTs on the horizon?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by billygoat, Oct 27, 2003.

1. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a less than optimal experience with plasma, I'm on the lookout for a new 32" CRT. My wife wants PIP and I want PAL/NTSC progressive scan, which basically leaves us the option of either the Panasonic PD30 or the JVC HV-32. My wife hates the way the former looks and I myself am not entirely impressed with either's image quality on RF. But then again: I find myself preferring the natural image on the cheapo widescreens in the store, compared to the digitally processed images on the higher-end screens. But that could be down to bad RF and setup.

I can wait a couple of more months to see if any new ProgScan TVs are going to come out. Is there anything on the horizon that is worth waiting for?

And a totally different question: is RF image quality in a store any kind of indication at all of the kind of image quality you're going to get at home? Or can the difference be extreme?

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Billygoat - RF Image Quality In-Store isn't really any kind of indicator as to image quality at home.

Indeed the best TVs will reveal more of the inherent faults in a poor quality RF signal than a cheap 'n' nasty TV.

A descent store will let you take your own DVD player in for testing or use one of the store's own.

You might also want to consider the Toshiba 32ZP38 'Picture Frame 2' as this supports PAL Progressive Scan, and is where my money would go.

3. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you helpful reply Dimmy. I did consider the PF2, but it doesn't have PIP and I am not entirely sure if it is available over here (= Belgium).

4. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    More PS PAL TVs:

Thomson 32WB642s
    Thomson 32WB842s (same as above but w/ stand and black front)

JVC HV-32D25
    JVC HV-32P37 (new model with DIST v.2)

5. billygoat

billygoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totalnoobee: wasn't aware of the Thomsons being PS PAL. Do you have any more information, as I am quite partial to Thomson equipment. Apart from the PDF I found on their website there's not much information out there.

6. Totalnoobee

Totalnoobee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0