Any new Pioneer HDD/DVD recorder rumours around

eddyad

Established Member
Reaction score
The DVR-LX61D is looking decidedly old-hat with its 1 analogue tuner and 1 Freeview tuner and no HD. I wonder if a twin Freeview HD machine is on the cards? I know Pioneers are expensive, but by and large seem worth the money in terms of features, performance and operability.
Any rumours anyone? Or maybe they are abandoning the market along with the TVs :(

AFAIK Pioneer sold all their HDD/DVD recorder business to Sony some years ago now.

A Sony RDRHXD890 has the same O/S as my ageing Pioneer DVR-545HX

AFAIK Pioneer sold all their HDD/DVD recorder business to Sony some years ago now.

A Sony RDRHXD890 has the same O/S as my ageing Pioneer DVR-545HX

Er - no! AFAIK Pioneer made these HDD DVDR's for Sony.....!

If the Pioneer technology has gone anywhere its pobably gone to Panasonic.

Current Sony HDD DVDR's are actually Samsungs in Sony boxes!

Last edited:
If the Pioneer technology has gone anywhere its pobably gone to Panasonic.

Then Panasonic should be making some good quality TV's which sadly is not the case. The only thing that Panasonic has retained from Pioneer is the high prices. :rolleyes:

Then Panasonic should be making some good quality TV's which sadly is not the case. The only thing that Panasonic has retained from Pioneer is the high prices. :rolleyes:

The Kuro technology went to Panasonic and they now incorporate this in their top level Plasmas which receive excellent reviews as do all their current range of PDP's and LCD's.

BTW generally IMHO Panasonic TV's are as good as if not better than any other brand.

Er - no! AFAIK Pioneer made these HDD DVDR's for Sony.....!
Current Sony HDD DVDR's are actually Samsungs in Sony boxes!
If this is the case I wonder what a Sony Freeview HD recorder might be like considering the limitations (IMHO) of the Samsung BD-C8200/8500?

Meanwhile Sony, Philips, LG and Toshiba are all keeping very quiet...

Sorry no idea perhaps others on here can advise. Seems like Sony are going heavily down the badged route for their domestic kit. IMHO many of the established names are finding it better to diversify into other areas and badge bought in product or major sub assemblies from other manufacturers? Games consoles and in particular their associated licensing and professional video kit carry much higher revenues and margins!

Last edited:
If this is the case I wonder what a Sony Freeview HD recorder might be like considering the limitations (IMHO) of the Samsung BD-C8200/8500?

Meanwhile Sony, Philips, LG and Toshiba are all keeping very quiet...

Frankly the Sony branded dvd recorders based on a samsung electronic design are not good. Sony have removed all the good functionality of the samsung and whats left is something which is a pale imitation of the excellent pioneer designed recorders. A great shame.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom