Any new channels?

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Hi,

I have had Freeview for a few months and was wondering if there are any new channels planned to launch soon?

There seems to be a lot of channels where a presenter waits for phone calls from viwers to answer of a bunch of puzzels.

Personally I am not a gameshow fan (not the kind of person to watch ITV Play) and was wondering if any new channels are on there way?

R

Rescue 137

Itv have something to answer for replacing Men & Motors with ITV play:mad: With all the money made this year from those phone lines then there isnt any chance of it going back.

Freeview seems to have alot of QVC ype and Quiz channels.Surely it needs more More 4,E4 type channels.Didnt someone on here say that the Mulitplexes are at capacity at the moment unless they reduce the bitrate of channels.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Well once I had setup Freeview in my home Men and Motors had already gone.

There seems to be way too much shopping and quiz channels on there. I really like More 4 and E4 (also like the channels from the BBC).

I heard channel 5 are planning new channels although I am not sure if they will ever make it to Freeview.

There are loads of channels on Sky and what I don't get is why can't they move over to Freeview as well. Surely the extra amount of viewers could cover the costs for the bigger channels or is it due to the fact that only so much information can travel from 1 multiplex (if the later is the case what is stopping more multiplexs being run).

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
amardilo said:
There are loads of channels on Sky and what I don't get is why can't they move over to Freeview as well. Surely the extra amount of viewers could cover the costs for the bigger channels or is it due to the fact that only so much information can travel from 1 multiplex (if the later is the case what is stopping more multiplexs being run).
The bandwidth available to all Terrestrial TV broadcasts is virtually crammed solid (on some muxes overcrowded causing them to lower quality to fit them in) When all analogue is switched off there is a chance that further space may become available providing that space has not already been allocated/sold off for other purposes. The only other alternative would be improvements in technology allowing greater compression and thus more channels within the existing muxes BUT this is likely to lower the quality of the broadcasts as well as making a large percentage of existing hardware obsolete and unable to receive them - so this is highly unlikely to be used on the "Free" channels as there would be a tremendous outcry from all those who have only just been persuaded/forced to buy new digital equipment.

Satellite is the only medium with almost limitless capabilities for expansion by putting satellites in different orbital slots and fitting multiple lnbs (or motorising) dishes:cool:

andykn

Novice Member
I'm fairly sure that the two new 'five' channels will be on Freeview, thats why five bought into Top up TV and Top Up TV are launching their new Anytime Service (because five are nicking their existing bandwidth).

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Thought the case of space was an issue.

Although I am not too sure if this is due to the TV but the Freeview piture in my bedroom (Toshiba 32" LCD 32WL56) looks a lot better than my Sky picture in my lining room (32" Sony CRT).

andykn said:
I'm fairly sure that the two new 'five' channels will be on Freeview, thats why five bought into Top up TV and Top Up TV are launching their new Anytime Service (because five are nicking their existing bandwidth).