• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Any networking experts here?

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Hope someone can help, have a problem which is driving me mad.

Since last night I am getting disconnects from the network, when I try a fix through networking it tells me that the Network Gateway is unavailable, it restarts the gateway, then it works for another 5-10 minutes before it goes again.

Its a Windows 7 system and has never had any problems before now, no new hardware has been added to the system, not has anything new been installed.

All other systems in the house are operating without this issue and I don't know where to start.

As a way of thanks, if anyone can put me on the right track so I can get this fixed, I will give them a steam code for either Total War Shogun 2 or Stalker Call Of Pripyat.

Thanks

John Simon

Tell us a bit more about your kit, wired,wireless. ISP/router, when did it start, do other devices on your network have the same issue.

Just read your post properly, some of my questions you already answered.

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
I am with Virgin and am have a wireless connection to the router. There is also 2 smart phones, 1 PC and a laptop all connected via wireless connections and they are all working without ant drop outs.

I don't believe its the Virgin Livebox though as everything else is working, not sure it could be that at fault.

Last edited:

Theydon Bois

Distinguished Member
To start with any troubleshooting, the first thing I would do is remove the wireless element. Disregard all the fact that everything else is working for the minute, and use an ethernet cable then tell us what happens.

Miss Chief

Distinguished Member
Theydon Bois said:
To start with any troubleshooting, the first thing I would do is remove the wireless element. Disregard all the fact that everything else is working for the minute, and use an ethernet cable then tell us what happens.

This to begin with. If it still happens look for an updated USB Chipset driver if it's a USB wireless as well as new drivers for the wireless device itself.

wolvers

Distinguished Member
If it started out of the blue, I'd be wondering if the wifi adapter is failing.

Is it possible that someone was using another wifi network close by? Generic ISP supplied routers all tend to work on the same 2 or 3 channels so it might be worth switching the broadcast channel in the router to something that isn't being used in your area. The devices/adapters in the network should switch automatically, although they might need a reconnect to get them to do that. Do a scan with a wifi sniffer app (some adapters come with an app that will do it) to find all the networks and their channels in your area. It's quite prudent to do this anyway.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Definitely get a patch lead (ethernet cable) and plug directly into the router as a first pass. Although you have used wireless without issue on that machine, and on other devices still, it will always be temporamental and prone to issues. A wired option will always be better.

If you still have issues after plugging in direct then there are obviously more fundamental problems.

wolvers

Distinguished Member
That's a good one. Check the update log to see if there was something just before the issue started.

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Have you applied a windows update ? I have some hardware that if I apply the windows update version it will nuke the hardware.

You mean windows being "helpful" and installing new driver updates for hardware when it should know better? :rolleyes:

If you've no updates done around when it started, the cable is a good bet as it'll elimate another point of failure. If that works without issue then I'd look at whatever you use for the wireless connection.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom