1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any multi-region issues with Radeon cards?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by VirusKiller, May 6, 2003.

1. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Are there any multi-regions issues using Radeon cards for DVD playback? If so how are they gotten around?

Thanks,
    Joel

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    The multi-region issues will be with the operating system (Windows), the software player (WinDVD for instance) and the DVD drive, which'll need a firmware upgrade if it's hackable.

Use something like DVDGenie or Region Killer for the software issues, and go here:

http://firmware.inmatrix.com/

HTH

Gary.

3. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks Gary.

I guess I was assuming that Radeon cards come with their own DVD playing software (I currently use WinDVD through a DVDGenie frontend).

So is WinDVD able to offload most/all of the processing to whichever graphics card is in the system?

Cheers,
    Joel

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,117
    Not all graphics cards can do hardware acceleration, but teh Radeons do.

You can select hardware or software mode with WinDVD, so if you choose hardware, the Radeon will take some some processing from the cpu.

The ATI DVD player has a good quality picture, but often causes problems with DD/DTS output when installed, so be aware of that.

If you're using earlier versions of WinDVD, changing to hardware mode will mean the two colour adjustments become colour and gamma instead, which I find more useful.

Also, if you get a green flickering line at the bottom of the image, then force WinDVD into weave mode to remove it. Change it back to auto for non film stuff otherwise you'll get combing.

HTH

Gary.

5. VirusKiller

VirusKiller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Thanks Gary. My WinDVD version is 3.0, so I guess I'll stay with that for the mo and get myself a new graphics card soon.

Cheers,
    Joel