Any MS SQL Server gurus here?

nheather

Distinguished Member
I have installed SQL Express which is required to provide a local database for an application I am trying to use.

The application can't access the database (access denied). I have done some research and as a result installed the SQL Server Management Studio Express.

This allows me to login and I can see all the databse objects and properties. I can see the account that the application is trying to use and can see that the Login needs to be enabled.

But when I try it, in fact when I try anything I get "Cannot change this because you do not have permission"

I'm logged in as follows

Server Name = <PC_NAME>\SQLEXPRESS
Authentication = Windows Authentication
User Name = <Domain>\<NT Username>
Password = BLANK

I'm not aware of being presented with any admin accounts or logins, just using exactly what was setup by the install.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Nigel

Codehead

Distinguished Member
Is your logged on account in the SQL Administrators group?

JonMace

To access my SQL DB through a local machine using an Access front end I also need to be an administrator on the local machine for some reason

avinitski

When installing SQL you would have probably been asked if you want to add the current Windows profile you're logged in with to the SQL admin group, you may have inadvertently select 'no'. Maybe something to look out for next time.

nheather

Distinguished Member
Apparently, it is because I need local admin rights for my PC, and\or be put into the SQL Administrators group.

Put the request in to our IT provider so should be up and running in about 2 weeks time.

Cheers,

Nigel

Paul_HDLover

problem could be with username.....try root as the username. if that works it would then be an idea to define nw users and priveledges and lock down the root password.

nheather

Distinguished Member
problem could be with username.....try root as the username. if that works it would then be an idea to define nw users and priveledges and lock down the root password.

Where talking MS SQL here - Microsoft - Windows

Sounds like you are talking about some form of Unix.

The problem is simply that it uses the logged in Username - if that doesn't have Admin rights then you don't have admin access in SQL configuration.

Cheers,

Nigel

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom