1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any more news on a possible new GBA?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Dom H, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heard about an all new GBA2 in the works but what about the updated backlit, four buttoned version talked about recently?

which is it all new GBA2 or Updated GBA??

2. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody...Neo?

3. DJWillis

DJWillis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have read about a revised second generation GBA (same games but slightly different unit including a back light) being released in Q3 next year (Japan).

But I can't see Nintendo breaking away from total GBA baseline compatibility for some years to come as it would not make financial sense to do so (The GBA and games are still selling nicely and the original GB lasted basically unchanged for 10 years).

Also, Nintendo have a long way to go before there is going to be any drying up of what they can port from the SNES let alone new material.

4. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry Dom, been away with the flu >_< I haven't heard any hard facts just yet other then the news already posted. Its going to be an updated GBA rather than the GBA 2 thats for sure.

I personally hope it doesn't come out yet but with the recent-ish press of Ericsson releasing a 3D hand-held and Nokia doing the same things could heat up. The GBA can also do 3D if you have seen the BlueRose engine running... Very impressive since its all done by the 32-bit CPU on the GBA and nothing else. Wonder if Nintendo might adopt a SuperFX chip for the GBA as well?

5. Dom H

Dom H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the news that Nin have officially announced they are working on a GBA2?

Quick question while your here. I'm replacing the screen on my gba as it got scratched, whats the best way to remove all the dust between the glass screen and the plastic outerscreen?

Cheers

Dom.

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I don't know the best way, but you could try a solder sucker or just a can of compressed air, thats what I use for my computer components.

As far as GBA 2 goes, it will be a long time before that comes out I expect, we will likely see an improvement in the ROM technology, ala Diddy Kong Racing with the movement chips in there to detect which way you are tilting the GBA.

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    If they get the game support, might push Nintendo to sort it out, however given the previous situation with the Lynx and Gamegear I doubt they have much to worry about. Lets not forget the killer handheld app...... POKEMON

GOTTA CATCH EM ALL

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    I saw this on magic box today.

funny thing is, sony bought ercisson last year, so this is what a portable playstation will be ;)

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ::Has been waiting for his Sony Ericsson P800 mobile phone since May...:: Sadly its £500 but I'll buy it in feb ^_^

As for the talks of the GBA 2... Indeed it is in the R&D stages as is the successor to the GameCube and there really isn't anything new announced yet. The PS3 has been in development for years now and MS are talking about R&D for the Xbox 2 so really its just wise for such companies to keep tabs on the dynamic 3D market.

Dom, I agree with Sinzer about using compressed air to get rid of dust and the like from the screens, since I also do the same for PC components and its works well. Haven't used other methods since they seem to complicate matters and/or are not effective.