1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any more cracks appearing in the HD5 buttons ?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by johann1979, May 25, 2005.

1. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I have placed my order for the special edition 30GB HD5 online and have been reading through all the threads regarding the HD5 while I'm waiting for it to ship.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to my gadgets and one thing I read in a totally unrelated thread regarding error messages, has worried me most.

I was wondering if anybody else noticed little cracks between the arrow buttons in the middle and the four buttons set around it?

The poster swears the cracks appeared some time after buying the player. I don't doubt him for a second, but it just doesn't make sense. Metal should bend before it cracks, so how can these cracks appear even after possible mishandling?

Has anybody else noticed this? :rolleyes:

2. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...interested in seeing picture of the crack

3. sacd

sacd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes!

4. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u have cracks too?

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'd like to see a picture of these cracks. I'm sure they're meant to be there ... I've always had little tiny gaps between the buttons.

6. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey thanks guys for your replies so far. The original mention of these fractures were posted in the ''System Error' problems with HD5' thread by Hrochnick - maybe he could supply a photo.

I've looked very carefully at the pictures of the HD5 on Sony's website and noticed the edges surrounding the buttons are slightly rounded, making it even more unlikely to fracture.

I really would like to believe that it is not possible - hopefully this was a one-off problem and the unit he got had tiny tears in the corners when it left the factory, causing these fractures to occur.

Thanks guys :hiya:

7. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    As requested, a picture of the cracks... you can clearly see them in three out of four corners and each one is slightly different suggesting (as I know they have) that they have appeared after manufacture.

Annoying as they are, the don't in any way interfere with the operation of the unit and wouldn't overly bother me if it were not compounded by the system error problem - which is actually starting to **** me off quite a lot.

8. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm this is quite disturbing

anyone else noticed this?

9. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well - thank you so much for the picture - I previously misunderstood you and thought they ran from the middle buttons out to the outside four buttons. Obviously this is quite disturbing and not something I would put up with!

Take it back! I would definitely take it back if I discovered those on my HD5 - it is clear that it is a manufacturer's fault as there is just no way you could cause that.

I've pre-ordered the 30GB version and have serious doubts about it now. I wonder what Sony will say if you email them and send them the picture...( :confused: ?)

10. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    Sony, why can't you get DAPs right?!?!?! their old CD walkmans were great - I had three difffereent ones which had good SQ and build quality. I only got rid of them to upgrade.

Hopefully it will turn out this problem is limited and the majority of HD5s are ok

11. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Maybe that's a question that should be directed to Sony. I appreciate that people are frustrated with the issues they are experiencing, but how many have actually contacted Sony direct?

Luckily, I have had no need to, but in case you do:

SUK.generalcic@eu.sony.com

12. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys :rolleyes:

I just sent Sony a long email and attached your picture, Hrochnick (sorry about the copyright infringement there... :).

I told them my pre-order for the 30GB unit was under threat and that it is obvious from that picture that they used materials of inferior quality not fit for their purpous on the buttons.

It would be interesting to see their reply. As soon as I get it I will smack it on here.

13. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    purpose I meant :D

14. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my main concern here is if these fractures showed up after just two weeks on Hrochnick's HD5, how long down the line before most people's start cracking? It is a very thin piece of plastic/metal that link the four buttons with each other in the middle and i'm really concerned about the quality of the materials used... get back to you when I hear from Sony.

15. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Magnesium is a metal which is notorious for cracking if the corner radii are to sharp or the tooling hits the sheet too hard. The Aircraft industry use tons of the stuff as it is light strong and durable except in seawater envoiroments, where it need coatings.........It is also very volatile and has been the basis of Incendiary weapons for over a century, most high intensity battlefield flares are magnesium.

If there are insufficient radius allowances the corners of apertures the edges will suffer stress cracks if the material is thin enough. The unfortunates that flew on Comets 1's in the early 1950's found out to their cost what happens when stress cracks migrate ................................

16. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Spot on ..... well done.

I have an NW-HD1 at the moment but, like you, have the NW-HD5H on order.

I'm beginning to worry that these new models are made of inferior materials.

My NW-HD1 feels solid and is made of some kind of brushed metal alloy that is not only attractive to the eye but durable.

Having said that I was attracted by the enhanced search features on the new model and the "follow turn" feature, which I have since discovered may not be a feature after all.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214495&page=1&pp=15

Just wondering if I am about to make a mistake here?

17. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Yikes! Thanks for the picture - I have mine guaranteed for a year should anything go wrong.

I'll bet the Japanese models are made in Japan and Sony have given the rest of the world made in Malaysia ones...

18. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you mentioned the Comet in your reply, Fencer02, I was thinking about that this morning as it does seem to have some scary similarities! I understand that the casing is magnesium, but the buttons look like brittle plastic though doesn't it? If you should press forward and backwards at the same time (perhaps unknowingly in your jeans pocket as the material stretches when you sit down) these fractures could happen.

Sony is supposed to be at the top end of the day-to-day electronics market and I am really appalled at their testing should this really be an inherent flaw. On the bright side we are yet to hear from another person experiencing this problem...

19. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Sorry to hijack the thread.. but a quick question.

I just picked up my HD5 from Makro.. its smaller than expected..
    The battery seems full up.. but Im unsure whether to charge it before use, or just run it down before I first charge.
    Can somebody please tell me the correct method for 1st time charging.

Thanks

Rob

20. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they do look like plastic and the picture which I have just looked at seems to indicate a pressure on both sides of the button at once. This as you say could easily happen in a pocket or sliding into a tight case. I had assumed without seeing the pictrures that the cracks were in the casing .......Good reminder to look before opening gob...

You are right to say that the testing should have found this , having worked in the TV manufacturing industry when we still had one. I find it hard to fathom how this one has got through , we even used to test button legend durability with real human sweat and a mechanical finger...........(Crockmeter) Lets see if this develops , have we another product rushed to market, to stave off the IPOD Menace.....Lets see............

21. Fencer02

Fencer02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Run it down then charge it...........5 charges should see it to full capacity. run it right down each time

k

22. smashed

smashed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Cheers :)

23. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think we should get too carried away with it...

afterall only one player is doing this. conicidentally, his player is also suffering from other mechanical faults. may be his unit was banged pretty hard before it was sold?

24. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    That's probably it... I doubt this'll be widespread...

25. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I hope so, but who can tell at this stage (and one other person has also reported the system error already). If my faults do start appearing on more machines we can then assume it's not an isolated case.

johann1979, I would be most interested to hear Sony's response when/if they respond. Any chance we can read what you said? As for the copyright, call it a tenner and we're even...

I did email Sony regarding the system error and then phoned them when that brought little joy but have not yet mentioned the cracks. I will do though, when I contact Sony style to organise a replacement. And maybe a little money off for inconvenience caused... (well, I can wish!)

26. Alcahest

Alcahest
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if those cracks would be there should the player had been made in Japan instead of Malaysia..
    Later,

Alcahest

27. dzysheep

dzysheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm...i just ordered a hd5 from an australian parallel importer, which should be a japanese model

hope i dont get any problems given that parallel imports have no warranty

28. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Ha ha ha. It makes no difference. The same machines, the same materials. Just a different location.

29. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hrochnick, good thing I copied and saved the text. The email is 'embedded' into Sony's website and as I didn't use Outlook Express, it wouldn't have saved it.

But I saved the text as a word document and below you will find it exactely as I sent it off this morning.

"Sir/Madam,

I have placed an online order for the special edition 30GB NW-HD5 but now have SERIOUS concerns. While anticipating the release of this model I have been reading new owner's views on a popular forum (www.avforums.com).

There seems to be an inherent flaw in the structure of the buttons on the face of the HD5. Please visit this link: http://nickandlenka.users.btopenworld.com/HD5_Cracks.htm

There is a picture of tiny cracks that developed on the buttons surrounding the play button in the centre of the unit. This is unfortunately making me reconsider my order.

I have been a huge Sony fan all my life and has bought the latest product every six months for the last 3 years. Units owned include the MZ-NH1 HD minidisc player, Vaio Pocket Mp3 player and soon to own the HD5 – I developed this trend as no unit to this date offered me everything I wanted, however I believed this would change with the release of the HD5.

By simply looking at the picture on the link supplied it is easy to tell that there is only a small amount of plastic/metal holding the four buttons together, which are set around the middle play button and that if this fractures within the guarantee period due to normal use, it is clear evidence of an inherent fault in the design and use of inferior quality materials not fit for their purpose.

In such a case a repair or exchange would be in order.

Could you please let me know if you are aware of this problem and what measures are currently being taken to rectify the matter. Also are you planning a product recall should you establish that the materials used was of inferior quality?

Your reply would be greatly appreciated.

Yours Sincerely, Johann Fourie"

;)

30. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright, maybe it does sound like I was jumping at conclusions, but it must be said this was sent before this thread reached 50 views and 2 replies. It's still pretty straight to the point and I will post their reply as soon as I get it.

I feel more relaxed now, as it turned out only one unit had these fractures - but my point remains and that is that we are in early days, what happens 6 months down the line? Can this happen by just carrying it in your jeans and sitting down? etc... ;) :suicide: