Any More Channels To Come?

NedZeppelin

Novice Member
I've ordered SkyHD for September 6th and was wondering if any more HD channels will launch soon, such as Channel 5, E4, and especially more movie channels?

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Channel 5 and E4, no chance. More movie channels , why? They aren't 24 hour anyway and are basically endless repeats so why do you want more movie channels?

Hi-Def

Novice Member
We can always hope though lol

also the OP said more movie channels not more sky movie channels

i reckon it will be a year unil Movies 9+10 will go 24/7

blakey1

Novice Member
I'd be surprised if there was more than 3-4 worthwhile new channels in the next couple of years. If anything Sky will probably improve on the channels they already have.

Think the problem is that broadcasters have to run a seperate HD channel rather than running their standard channel with a mix of HD and SD.

I was in New York recently and the Sat broadcasters over there were only offering about 6-7 HD channels for about £7 a month. I might be wrong but I got the impression that their FTA channels offered a mix of HD and SD and as long as you had a HDTV with a HD tuner these extra channels were free.

I assume though that Channel 4 and ITV wont be able to do the above mainly because of MPEG4? If thats the case then it comes down to whether the cost of running an extra channel is worthwhile.

ailean

Hi-Def said:

I think they are extending into day time in Sept, from 10am ish, but still the same repeats. :rolleyes:

Hi-Def said:

in september the hd movie channels will start at 11 a.m.

Ninjapaul

Novice Member
I heard Sky News ordered HD cameras so perhaps that will be HD. I would like to see more programs first before new channels. Get rid of repeats then expand the channel choice.

uno

Novice Member
Sky news have placed some orders for HD studio cameras but the problem being most footage shown is not in HD due to costs involded. But I understand that Sky Sports news is likely to be first with crews and companies being told to shhot as much footage as possible in HD but the nature of news programmes makes it very hard to equip in these early HD times in uk.

danvitale

Novice Member
Ninjapaul said:
I heard Sky News ordered HD cameras so perhaps that will be HD. I would like to see more programs first before new channels. Get rid of repeats then expand the channel choice.
The Sky News studio was designed around a HD environment as far as I know.. I watch the channel all the time so if that went HD that would be great. However the issue is that most reporting would still be using SD equipment and how would that be displayed on screen?

RMCF

blakey1 said:
I'd be surprised if there was more than 3-4 worthwhile new channels in the next couple of years. If anything Sky will probably improve on the channels they already have.
Well if you are correct, its hardly a great way to try to encourage all us SD viewers to buy into it.