Any minute Now !!!

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by bytesize, Aug 28, 2006.

1. bytesize

bytesize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sky installer coming around to install Sky HD .. Is there anything I need to check before he goes ... I currently have Sky+ in lounge and Sky+ in the bedroom - and the new Sky HD box will be fitted downstairs in lounge I need to run this via component into my AV amp ... unless of course I can use the HDMI output from Sky HD into my Amps HDMI socket and output via component into my Plasma .. As the video inputs on amp can be reassigned .. as my Plama is A Panasonic PWD6 and I am using a component terminal board linked to my Amp to run my xbox 360 and hopefully Sky HD off of .. I have read a few threads on here and see there is mixed reports to people's feelings on Sky HD .. only time will tell I suppose .. but should the sky chap leave me both HDMI cable and component ???

Regards and fingers crossed, I do have 30 days to cancel if I want dont I ...

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    It's probably already been installed but if the dish/lnb is in good nick then it should be a simple box swap.

The HDMI does not output 5.1 so you'll still need to use the optical for DD audio support and if use the HDMI to send video to the amp then the HDCP will fail when converted to component so SKY component to the amp/tv will have to be used.

Only a HDMI lead is supplied.

3. mitchec1

mitchec1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,024
    Had mine installed on Saturday enineer gave me both component and hdmi leads
    all you can do is ask but as starburst says optical required for 5.1 :lease:

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    No doubt the problems with Pioneer and HDMI had prompted SKY to make sure a component option is offered:)

5. Geordiepete

Geordiepete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    So how did the install go? are you happy?

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I hope he still isn't waiting for the installer to turn up:eek:

7. bytesize

bytesize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Guys engineer turned up - box installed ... picture quality on some HD content stunning even on my PWD6 plasma, (no need to buy HD screen yet) only thing I have noticed is I recorded Murphy's Law last night and whilst watching at one point the sound went and the picture seemed to fast forward itself for a second or two .. other than that only other thing is I can hear a clicking noise coming from the box .. somebody has said to turn off Auto Rewind.. what does auto - rewind do ???

Also Day of the dead last night seemed good quality..

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    Instant Rewind records whatever channel you are currently tuned into so that at anytime you can rewind the program to watch something again that means the hard drive is continuosuly recording so you are hearing the hard drive heads move around.
    It seems some SKY+ HD units are louder than others in this regard.

You can certainly turn it off (I do) and the noise should stop until you are recording a program (and maybe watching another) or in live pause mode.

9. bytesize

bytesize

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for info .. much appreciated ..have set a few things to record so will check them out later one being aquavsion ..