Quantcast

Any Meridian G98/G91 owners out there?

AV Geeza

Novice Member
I want to know if the unit is supposed to come with a 9 pin serial cable or do you have to buy one? :confused:
If it has to be purchased, what type of connection is at the other end? USB?
:confused: :confused:
I want to do the multi-region mod, but I undestand that it has to be done via Windows Hyperterminal.

Any info from any Meridian owners would be appreciated.

N

Njål

Both my G68 and G91 came with the 9 pin serial (null-modem) cable.
It's 9 pin both ends.
AFAIK, of the G series only the G68 supports USB directly (with newer firmware).
You can of course use a USB to null-modem serial cable/converter if your PC doesn't support serial (laptops and some newer regular PCs usually don't).

AV Geeza

Novice Member
Thanks Njal :smashin:

I have contacted Meridian and they are sending me a cable.
How long have you had your G91/G68?

Have you used the upsampling feature on the G91?
If so, are the improvements considerable?

Thanks again.

N

Njål

I received a G68 loaner (wrong colour) just past Easter, and my own gear maybe two weeks after that.
I haven't really tried w/o the internal upsampling on the G68/91 combo, so I can't say for sure.
Also, I've just connected the first external component that uses compressed audio (LD-player, xBox, and PC), and haven't had time to play around with comapring sound.

The upsampling on my previous 568 v1 did, to me, provide improvements, though I wouldn't really call them substantial.

AV Geeza

Novice Member
Njal,
Have you got your G98 connected to a plasma or projector?
Which scaler settings are you using?

Ive just connected my NTL box but am not sure which settings to use :confused:

N

Njål

I have the G91 (not G98) connected to a TV, and will connect it to my CRT PJ when a friend who is an electrician does some rewiring here.
My TV is strictly interlaced, so I haven't really played around with the scaler settings.
I'm sure there are some at the Meridian forum who have more experience with the G91/98 and scaler settings.