1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any media problems on Panansonics or sync problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by sparkydoo, Sep 18, 2003.

1. sparkydoo

sparkydoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the panasonics models is there any problem using certain types of dvd-r.
    So the new 4 speed media is that ok to use in the e50 e60 or hs2?
    Also are there any known sync issues going from ram to dvdr etc/

thanks

sparkydoo

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You need to try different media as some is more reliable than others and it seems to vary depending on the machine and the batch of media. I often get a fail to write error, but if I retry the media it usually works 2nd or 3rd try. This would be disastrous though if timer recording, which is why I only ever write to -r from the hdd. If it fails I can try again.

There is a known sync issue if you watch a program whilst it is recording live. Simple solution is to watch in time slip mode even just a few seconds behind and the sound is back in sync.

I have never had a sync issue in any recordings, uinless it was broadcast out of sync which is not that uncommon.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,213
    Only if you go down an advanced PC editting route whereby you demux the file to run processing on it (e.g. logo removal). This would be audio displacement and occurs if demuxing from DVD-RAM or DVD-RW VR Mode - if your trying to do this on the DVD-Video structure (DVD-R, DVD+RW/+R or DVD-RW Video Mode) then you'll get audio displacement and stretching. Most people opt for the simple route of importing the VRO file into an authoring programme.

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I asked the same question directly to panasonic and their reply was that it is ok to use higher speed media as they will only write at 1x and no harm can come by using higher speed media on the Panny machines. I enquired in relation to the E20 and E30 so i assume the H2 range and E50/60 would be ok too........

5. sparkydoo

sparkydoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for your replies so which one do i go for? The E50 as it is cheap and get a better one when improved models are out or HS2 now?
    Hmmmm

6. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Seeing as you can get a multiregion hs2 for £545, you aren't saving much going for an E50, and you are giving up so many features.
    Once you have had a hs2 you wonder how you managed without the hard drive. I often have up to 12 hours of progs waiting to view and can still go ahead with a recording whilst viewing a pre-recorded one. How on earth can you do that on a -ram disc with only 2 hours available at reasonable quality.

The replacement machine is no better in quality of recording, you just get a few more features and an 80gig hdd. THe only reason the hs2 is so cheap now is the availability of the new machine for about £800, and they need to shift the remaining unsold ones.

7. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The e50 can be bought for around £245 so that means a margin of approx £300 between the two players you describe.
    I fully appreciate your opinions on the hs2 and the thought of having a hard drive does sound excellent but the e50 is a excellent machine for a lot less cash and might be the only option for many people on a budget.

Drphibes

8. sdh500

sdh500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But you can do pretty much the same thing with a Pace Twin Digibox. If I didn't have one, I might have gone for the HS2, but instead I put a bigger hard disk into the Digibox (60gb) and settled for the E50. If any recording turns out to be worth keeping, I just transfer it to dvd-r. Simple. :)