Any media players able to play native HIgh-bitrate Blu-Ray M2TS files?

Matthew Attoe

Hi,

I have a TVIX 4100, on to which I have ripped all my DVDs and it works great. I also use it to play d/l tv shows and some other various 720p/1080i/1080p MKVs (with bitrates up to circa 20mbs) - it does however choke badly on the Killa Sampla mkv file.

I tried playing a pure native Blu-Ray M2TS file, with a bit-rate of - iirc - around 40-45mbs and that also choked a bit - pretty stuttery in places and not watchable.

So, what i thought about doing was keeping the TVIX soley as a DVD jukebox feeding source-direct over component into my TV.

That would leave me needing a new media player and there seems to have been an abundance launched recently and I don't really know where to start looking.

I'm looking for something that can play/pass-through all the latest HD audio standards and is also capable of flawlessly playing the highest-possible bitrate M2TS video streams without choking. Don't really want to have to compress my Blu-Rays if possible. Does such a beast exist? Maybe the new Popcorn Hour or the HDX1000?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Matthew

Matthew Attoe

Would any of the new NMT players - based on the Sigma 8635 - be suitable for playing native Blu-Ray files flawlessly? Popcorn Hour A110 for example?

Anyone at all have any info or experience they care to share?

Many thanks,

Matthew

chris57

Check out the NMT forum, the NMT players will play m2ts files with DTS-HD/DTS-MA audio.

The playback of ALL NMT players is identical due to same firmware from Syabas.

The chipset is newish and just beginning to get some proper up todate libs etc. Do not expect a player that you do nothing but plug and play. You have to get involved to get the best out of it. Firmware updates bring new features/fixes every couple of months.

Bitrate max is approx 42mb/s total including audio and video. New Sigma libs may improve that but wont be implemented into the firmware until the next but one at the earliest.

Matthew Attoe

Hi Chris57,

Many thanks for the reply.

I do like the sound of the new NMTs, I must say. I believe that they can read native HFS+, which would be a real boon for me.

Also, do you know if the new NMTs can output 480i/576i over HDMI? My TVIX doesn't.

Thanks again,

Matthew

chris57

Yes NFS+ read is there, no write. HDMI has 480p60 and 576p50 so only progressive. There are about 30 different HDMI settings now but all tend to bunch up in the HD range im afraid.

paulcurtis

Standard Member
I just got a 6500 and i have some uncompressed original HD content that i can compress accordingly.

What sort of datarates were you looking for? I assume bluray is H264?

cheers
paul

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom