any martial artists/kickboxers here?

Reaction score
Hi all,

about 3 years ago started karate at the young old age of 33, was a non contact variety which i took up as my 6 year old wanted to do it and he's shy so I took it up with him, ended up doing 4 classes a week (one of which was a 2 hour lesson) entered a couple of tournaments doing sparring and kata. got to green belt, but decided to give it up, had some hassle at work with shoplifters and went out after them, turned ugly and to my horror doing non contact karate id trained myself to actualy pull my strikes making minimal contact :eek: hospital visit later and mild concussion I decided to do something else.

Been doing full contact kickboxing for 12 months now and loving it, train 3 sessions a week, and do additional training at home, run 2 miles a day, 50 press ups, and 50 sit ups every am and again in the pm, then work on my kicks, punches, still rough round the edges but getting there, thing I struggle with the most is bob and weaving, and im very heavy on my feet, must become lighter :) have just entered my first competion which is in october, so training as hard as I can, have started skipping :eek: my god kids make it look so easy.

anyway im waffling, anyone else participate?

regards
J

Yep, me! :)

Been training 18 years, got a black belt in Tae Kwon Do, and blue II in kick boxing. Done full contact, points and light continous.

Fought in dozens of competitions, including the WAKO British Championships 2006 and 2007.

Currently training with one of the Lawson brothers in London.

Used to do a lot of karate, mostly traditional shotokan but dabbled in other types of karate, boxing, kick boxing, judo, ju-jitsu, nunchuka and the occasional odd thing that came my way. Had 25 years training experience and a bit of competition along the way as well as a few rounds on the concrete arena.

As far as the accidental pulling of punches at the wrong time, different types of training and the mindset to punch the living daylights out of somoene can help with that but I'm afraid its a problem which has blighted millions of people but the smart one's take it as a lesson and learn from it.
I've said it a millions times before but you really should read Watch My Back from Geoff Thompson.

i'll check that book out shodan cheers :)

wish id started years ago now, And to think i only started to keep my kid company :)

Seriously, anything by GT or Jamie O'Keefe or Peter Constardine is a must read for any martial artist.

just "won" a copy of "watch my back" and "dead or alive" from ebay for a bargain sum of £7 :)

just "won" a copy of "watch my back" and "dead or alive" from ebay for a bargain sum of £7 :)

Fantstic!!! They are keepers, definately one's for the personal library. Read them, associate with them then read them again and learn from then then read them again occasionally for posterity!!!

Not knowing what I am asking, which is the best mind and body martial art? That she may enjoy, I hasten to add:)

Dave

Tough one. Thats like asking what is the best amp, you'll get loads of different answers from different people.

But you might want to look at arts, that aren't based on fighting.

This may be slightly OT but I would be interested to know what the best age to start Tae Kwon Do would be?

I was told by an instructor that by the age of 6, children have the necessary concentration levels to become interested and more importantly to "stick with it".

Also, any advice on the wisdom or otherwise of a 43 year old Dad, who has had a disc removed from his back, taking it up to keep junior company?

GB

When I was teaching the kids classes the age was usually 7 years old but my personal feelings on it when the child knows their left from their right. the attention span (or lack of) can be a problem but that is more down to the instructors ability to teach a class. Teaching kids is tough though!
With regards to yourself GB, one of the "soft" arts like wing chun kung fu or tai chi would seemingly be a better option rather than one like karate or ju jitsu but it depends on what excercises and training is done in the class that will depend on how it effects your injuries/capabilities.
Best advice, as always, is go to a few different clubs and watch a class or two to get an idea of what they do. If any instructor won't let you watch then I would suggest it isn't the type of club I would advise anyone to join.
also watch for the etiquette, manners, control the instructor has, how do the instructors and students all interact with each other etc etc plus when you find a club ask about who is frst aid trained and what insurance they have too.

Iron Giant (Dave), a martial art based on dancing in Brazilion Capoeira is based on dancing but is very... lively! Although to bear in mind that most kung fu's and most karate's have sections which in karate are known as Kata and are a group of set moves and techniques which are performed almost in the style of a dance. I would also consider getting her to look at a gymnastics class too as that can be great for kids as well as loads of fun for them! Seriously!!!

I had a blue-belt in Bushi-Kempo Jui Jitsu, stopped when I was 19 though as I was getting the crap beaten out of me whilst doing full-contact circuit training with the black-belts. I can still remember seeing stars when I was whacked across the side of the neck with a forearm - ouch.

This may be slightly OT but I would be interested to know what the best age to start Tae Kwon Do would be?

Also, any advice on the wisdom or otherwise of a 43 year old Dad, who has had a disc removed from his back, taking it up to keep junior company?

GB

My two practised ITF Taekwon do for several years, the younger one being the most enthusiastic having won a few medals at competitions. I'd suggest around 9 or 10 years of age to start, any younger and most of it will go over their heads.

Re yourself, i would not recommend Taekwon do for someone with a fragile back - seek medical advice first and ensure you get a competent instructor.

Your not from around my neck of the woods (i don't think) or i could have recommended a very well respected trainer.

Not knowing what I am asking, which is the best mind and body martial art? That she may enjoy, I hasten to add:)

Dave

For little kids, I would say Wushu or Akido.

In my sons wushu class there are a few kids, I've watched them train and they seem to love it.

not into Akido myself but a friends 5yr old girl does it, I took her to class last week and watched, the class had around 6 kids. Ive never seen a bunch of 5 - 7 year olds meditate!!!
Kinda cool!!

End of the day I think kids doing some sort ot martial art is great. It teaches them respect, Thats what kids need these days.

If you're looking for something with a gymnastics influence, try XMA.

CFC1 thinks he can take you all.................or so he told me :D

CFC1 thinks he can take you all.................or so he told me :D

He couldn't punch his way out of a wet paper bag!

What form of kick boxing do you do Mr oops? There are loads of kick boxing classes out there and to be honest most of them are rubbish. Some do a watered down Muay Thai boxing, some do American style kick boxing some do not even bother with the fitness side of it.

I do full Muay Thai boxing, and love it, the fitness side is tough (I have thrown up ) and our ARjann (master) is Muay Thai through and through, often goes to Thailand to learn with masters, and often takes students there, when training is seven days a week six hours a week. Kickcboxers and mixed martial artists aften come but don't usually last long as they are not used to fitness regime.

Also we use knees and elbows so its pretty nasty form of martial arts.

I love it by the way, even when I ended up with a bleeding face from last Thursday when I sparred with a 6ft 6" beast (Im 6ft myself).

, thing I struggle with the most is bob and weaving, and im very heavy on my feet, must become lighter :)
regards
J

Skipping will help, its the first part of or training , 1000 skips in 5 mins, I can now do all the tricks that boxers do with the rope, interesting that you have just started now, as that is the first thing Muay Thai boxers are taught.

Also I find intersting is bobbing and weaving, the kick boxers who join us (non Muay Thai) do alot more of this than the Muay Thai boxers, I suspect the reason is that we tend to block and parry more and plant our feet more to launch into an attack, remember we can knee ppl and thrust kick into the abdomen and chest area, not always relying on punching.

Anyway the trick about bobbing and weaving is to bend at the knees, not the waist, difficult to explain via words, but the skipping will definately help.

some do American style kick boxing some do not even bother with the fitness side of it.

I wish! :rotfl:

Spend plenty of my time with a skipping rope! Fitness takes up about a third of my training time, easily. Push-ups, dips, crunches, skipping, ab plank, etc etc.

Hi guys!
I need some advice please. I'd like to do some martial arts mostly for the self-defence and for fun too. As I haven't done any before I don't know in which direction to go and where to start. Could someone give me an idea please.

With regards,

deardai

I've trained in muay thai, started when I was 14 years in Australia, moved to England and continued until I was about 20. I loved it and got very fit. I've stopped now due to the committments of work and family.

I wish! :rotfl:

Spend plenty of my time with a skipping rope! Fitness takes up about a third of my training time, easily. Push-ups, dips, crunches, skipping, ab plank, etc etc.

And mine, I was referring to some of the classes I have seen, not all. We also skip, push up, cruch, leg raise,etc etc, the difference between Muay Thai and other kick boxing training, is that we also taught stretching with relevance to the spirtual side as well, this is not as easy as it sounds!

There are more unusual and beneficial training that we do which is just not present in s standard kick boxing class, as it could take an Arjan (master) years to learn before he psses the knowledge down.

Hi guys!
I need some advice please. I'd like to do some martial arts mostly for the self-defence and for fun too. As I haven't done any before I don't know in which direction to go and where to start. Could someone give me an idea please.

With regards,

deardai

I would recommend Muay Thai, you will definatley get fit, you will definately have six pack, you will learn to use your knees, shins and elbows to devestating effect.
This of course (like all martial arts) is dependant on two things.

1) How good the teacher is (there are far more bad ones than good ones)
2) What you put in is what you'll get out. Don't cut corners and understand what you are trying to do instead of just copying.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom