Question Any Marantz 5010 owners?

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at getting this amp (nothing set in stone yet) so I'm after some user feedback that isn't manufacture 'blurb'.

Also, I'd be interested to know what speakers pair well with this amp? Looking at spending 1k to 1.5k sterling. For that price I'm happy with a 2.0 setup to start with, and then I'll add more speakers in the new year.

Atmos certainly looks interesting, and as my nerd room is on the second floor, ceiling speakers will be a breeze to fit.

Is anyone currently running an atmos set-up?? If so what kind of sound leakage do you get in the loft/upstairs room? We've just put 2 additional guest bedrooms in the loft, so I can't have a lot of sound leakage. These rooms will get very infrequent use, but it needs to be considered.

It'll be connected to the usual gubbins 4k tv, consoles, pvr etc

Any major issues?
Driver issues?
Build quality solid?

ect etc

Ta in advance :)

Hi I am just wondering what your impressions are with this beast I am looking to pick one up.

Hard to give a comparison as this is the only AVR I've owned.

I'd question why you'd choose the 5010 over the Denon 2200/3200 unless you want the extra musical benefits from the 5010? The 2200 was a few hundred quid cheaper last time I looked and it was roughly the same cost as the 3200. They're basically the same machine bar a few minor bits.

It's certainly not a beast compared to higher end avrs size and weight wise. I was a little disappointed with some of the build quality. The top is quite flimsy . It bends just putting a little pressure on it with one finger. I can also see pen marks on the internal components from the QC checks. For 900 euro I didn't expect such things (maybe I expected too much).

Sound wise - great! pairs very nice with my Focals. Drives them to silly volumes with ease. Cranked up to max volume not a hint of distortion (obv not advised!).

The small LCD screen is utterly useless unless you're inches away from it.

The remote is solid enough and has every function you need.

Setup is very easy.

Oh, one thing worth noting which I only realized the other week. The Direct button for 2.0 stereo has 2 settings. Press once it turns on stereo mode, press twice it turns off all internal processing.

Great thanks for the info. So the only benefit of the Marantz is better musical ability?
I've read all over that the Denon lacks low end punch, is it just to do with settings?
Thanks

Yeah. I've not heard the 2200, so can't comment on the low end. It's sweet on the 5010 though through my speakers. A lot of it will be based on how good your speakers are. I completely dropped the sub from music listening now, just no need for it.

Well I am worried about the amp not being good enough for the speakers:)

Ah I just priced checked your fronts. You need to be looking at better receivers. The 5010 whilst capable is still a 'budget' AVR.

for those I am getting the Anthem 1120, the ones i'd be using the marantz for are their little brothers the Motion 20.

It'll power those just fine going by the specs.

kool. thanks. I like high frequencies well pronounced is there any adjustments for that? Many amps won't let you.

It has a graphic EQ. Only usable if room correction is off.

good enough thanks.

Got the 5010 and am reasonably happy with it. Does anyone know when DTS:X will be unlocked on it?

June/July I believe.

What don't you like about it?

Thanks. Well I generally like it. The gripes I have are: using Audyssey its really back/surround heavy, highs are not pronounced too well sounds a bit flat, very average sounding with headphones, no DAC for Zone 2, runs very hot, display is useless and a few minor things but in general I am impressed for the price.

Can't say I've ever noticed any of these issues beyond the heat and useless display. I have a separate system for headphones/serious listening. The only music I play through the AVR in general is internet radio and youtube, both of which are highly compressed crap....

Can't really comment on the Audyssey as this is my first AVR. Sounds fine to me though. The only issue I have is the center speaker sounds very forward when in 5.1. Sounds much better in 2.1/2.0. My center is a good 1.5 foot in front of the tv though which doesn't help I expect.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom