Any Mackie or BlueSky Owners on Here?

funkmonkey

Ex Member
Reaction score
Looking to move over to actives in the next couple of months.

I'm planning on replacing my fronts first followed by the center and then surrounds when funds allow.

I've highlighted the Mackie HR624 and the BlueSky 6.5's.

Could any owners of these models offer any advice on the pro's and cons of each. Having never heard any professional kit, the advice given on the forums seems to be that they have a very analytical sound which is fine by me, its actually what I'm looking for. But I don't want them to sound so cold as to ruin any musical enjoyment.

The system they will reside in will be used for a mix of music and AV.

My budget is around £500 per speaker. If anyone also knows where to demo these or any suggested models in the Midland please let me know.

Thanks

ShinObiWAN - why are you now posting as funkmonkey ?

If you get in contact with www.sonic-distribution.com they will send you some Sat 6.5's for a week to demo in your home - at no cost to you as they pay for the courier in both directions.
I think the 6.5's retail at just under £400 each so you should be able to get the front 3 for just over your £1000 budget and you could perhaps save a few £'s and get the sat5's at about £100 leass than the Sat6's for surrounds.

The only cons of the active speakers that I can see is that you need to get power to all the speakers instead of just power to the amps/receiver in your system.

Mark.

MarkE19 said:
I think the 6.5's retail at just under £400 each so you should be able to get the front 3 for just over your £1000 budget.

The cheapest place that I have seen them is Moving Waves Audio here where they are selling them for £385.99 each

My own take on the Blueskies:

High output with minimal distortion - the amplification is top notch and high quality.

Clean and very crisp sound...think top quality M&Ks with beefy power amps and you're not far off.

Very detailed, really pulls stuff out of movie soundtracks, by contrast now so many speakers I hear just sound dull and lifeless. Which is helped by...

The treble is superb on the Blues...very sparkly and clear, if you have a lively room though it could be described as a bit "edgy". Though not as bad as my old M&K MPS-1610s.

Mid-range? This is where there's some debate. Personally I think the midrange is strong, but others have commented that they feel the sound is a little coloured - as do some magazine reviews. This is the only negative comment I've heard, and bear in mind this is compared against much more expensive speakers. I don't find it "coloured", but then I've not heard it side by side any other actives, and part of me wishes not to as I really don't wish to sell these and lose a packet :) Genelecs in particular are compared favourably against them (and two respected people have commented much the same thing).

Thing is, it's all relative. And for the money, I don't see anything out there that can touch them (I don't count the Gen 8030's as the 8040's are closest in terms of spec and power).

Phil (THX1138) has the Mackie's and loves them, I think only one person has compared the two brands (TK2001 I think), who owned - and still does - the Mackies. I think he preferred them over the Blues.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom