Any luck dubbing chapters onto DVD-R?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by schwig88, Jun 8, 2005.

1. schwig88

schwig88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Howdy! I just got a Panasonic EH50 recently and have since been merrily backing up & dubbing DVDs.

With particularly long programs I'm inserting chapters so that I can fast foward the DVD in the future.

It seems you can only insert chapters onto HDD programs. Ok fine, but when I dubb the HDD chapter'd program onto DVD-R (or RAM) the chapters all disappear. And I've tried all the various speeds.

Has anyone had the same experience or any luck trying it otherwise?

Cheers!

2. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your own chapters will only be retained if you use HS dubbing, otherwise they will be inserted automatically every five mins.

3. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    I just got mine the other day and have had this same problem. Chapters also haven't been inserted every 5 minutes.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +153
    Sorry if this too obvious, but have you finalised the discs? The chapters are inserted, or should be, at that stage.

5. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Cheers Philipb, it actually was that easy!

Funny thing though, I checked the chapters on the eh50 before finalizing and got grumpy because the chapters I had set up on the HDD had not been transferred. Then I checked the disc on a standalone player after finalizing but did not check the chapters at that point as I assumed it hadn't worked.

However, it hasn't worked as expected. The chapters I put into the recording on the HDD seem to have been ignored and I just have the standard 5 minute interval chapter breaks. Do I have to set the chapters on the DVD itself before finalizing?

Also, I have found the option to record for high speed dubbing and have turned this on. Is there any good reason not to leave this on? I understand about the widescreen auto switching flags and the bilingual audio but do these matter? Am I right in saying that the image recorded will still be anamorphic but I just have to adjust the aspect ration on the TV myself?

6. bradavon78

bradavon78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    Yes if the source is anamorphic (of course).

7. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Cheers bradavon.

Is there any way of high speed dubbing a file that hasn't been recorded with record for high speed dubbing turned on? Am I doomed to having to put live 8 onto DVD in real time? :(