• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Any Long Term Experience Of This Plasma?

Z

ZUUL

:hiya:

hi guys,

havn't posted for a while, nor have i got my plasma sorted yet due to being unwell.

seems like i missed some possible bargains locally, (i live in ireland btw), but i just saw a philips 42ps5331, or possibly 42 ps5331/10, sales guy was honest enough to admit that!

the pq looked pretty good instore, on a hd loop and also on a sd sky feed, and i thought the dvd repro, on a bog standard philips dvd player, no hdmi or anything, was really very good indeed.:smashin:

i searched the site here but got no returns for either model numbers, but i was wondering if anyone was familiar with this philips plasama and how it performed over time?:lease:

some info would be great as the guy was prepared to do a deal i think is ok price wise, €1990, which is good, vat etc makes all sets much more expensive here, but he only has 2 left and my guess is they will go over the weekend if i don't act!:suicide:

thanks again.

ZUUL

Darmanted

Standard Member
i bought this when it came out first, about 10 weeks ago. so no long term reviews are possible for a while.
i paid € 1900 for it in D.I.D electric.
i was initially very wary of buying this, as not many philips have received good reviews on these boards, and the fact that it is an alis panel (1024 x 1080i) which seems to inspire strong opinions from people either for or against.
anyway all i can say is that i was impressed with this set when i saw it in the store, and so far i have had no reason to change my mind and would highly recommend it for this price.

Z

ZUUL

Darmanted said:
i bought this when it came out first, about 10 weeks ago. so no long term reviews are possible for a while.
[/B
please excuse use of all lowercase, disability issue.

hi darmanted,

sorry for my delay in thanking you, i got badly side-tracked just after posting initially.

thank you for your reply, which i find very interesting, but it has also raised a doubt for me too.
i'm very interested to read that this set was only released about ten weeks ago, the sales rep i was dealing with (NOT DID INCIDENTALLY) "SUGGESTED" HE COULD REDUCE IT AS "IT WAS NO LONGER BEING STOCKED". an interesting choice of words, i got the impression it was being discontinued!
highly unlikely if it was launched only 10 weeks ago.

incidentally, can you confirm the exact model number used when you bought yours? some sites mention with the "/10d" suffix, others leave this off, so i cannot ever be certain it's the same tv i'm reading about.

i too have read with interest the often strong (passionate?) views about "alis" panels, and how they are not truly 1080 panels as they involve a doubling of lines, but isn't that perhaps what "upscaling" is anway?
if i have the wrong impression i truly would appreciate someone explaining the correct understanding, the whole plasma/hd tv subject is a big learning curve for me.

your satisfaction with what i saw as a really good pq under different uses, hd loop, sd tv, sd dvd, upscaing dvd, and your satisfaction, albeit over a short time, makes me think i just may well buy this set.
the extra cost of €90 would balance out against delivery costs and possible service locally should the need arise.

thank you again for your helpful comments.

ZUUL;)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom