1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Loewe owners have the "Multimedia" upgrade?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by SpiderManPants, Apr 23, 2003.

1. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I was just wondering if any Loewe owners have opted for the Multimedia upgrade? Well, any upgrade for that matter!

I've just ordered myself the new Mimo 32 in cream, and was pondering over the Multimedia and/or Digital TV upgrades. I'm just not sure if they're available yet or if they are, they work well etc.

By the way, went for the Mimo because I thought it looked cool and it seemed a hell of a lot cheaper than the cheapest Articos I saw.

Mimo = £1099
    Articos = £1740

Both 32" 100 Hz sets when all's said and done!
    Although the Articos does have classier styling, I don't think it's £640 price hike is justifyable - to my bank balance at least!!! ;)

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

SMP

2. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Digital TV upgrade doesnt work in the UK AFAIK. I don't have the multimedia upgrade but I have the VGA upgrade. Its advisable to request the upgrades at the time of ordering, as some have to be factory fitted (the VGA doesn't, not sure which others don't).

3. Mick da Miller

Mick da Miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could have got the Vitros for £1148 of course!:D

4. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nah, Mimo on Rack 2 is way cooler than the old skool Vitros... ;)

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Both 32" 100 Hz sets indeed - and great ones at that :).

However their are quite a few differences in the Mimo and Articos besides the finish. The Articos has the following enhancements:

Antiflex Filter for improved screen contrast.
    Digital Motion Interpolation Plus (DMI Plus)
    Digital Movie Mode Plus (DMM Plus)
    Split Screen TV/TV (PAP)
    4 Speakers instead of 2
    40W Power Output instead of 25W
    2 Way speakers for wider soundstage
    EPG (doesn't work in UK anyway)
    Better Remote
    Larger Teletext Page Memory (3500 as opposed to 390)

In my opinion. the extra processing modes and PAP features are neither here nor there (I don't use them on my Aconda anyway) and the Sound is of little concern if running it via your AV system. As such, the Mimo is a very attractive option given the price.

6. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My thoughts exactly groundy, I can't justify the extra dosh for a few superfluous "gadgets". At the end of the day it's a 32" Loewe with super cool looks at a great price! :smashin:

SMP

7. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Jagsta,

[A bit beside the thread.]

I read that you have the VGA-module. I would appreciate if you could tell what you use it for and if you are satisfied with it.

Thanks,
    Jürgen

8. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jurgen,

yes I have the VGA module, I use it to connect a PC to the TV in order to deinterlace my interlaced sources (DVD player, PS2, STB) and so output a progressive scan picture to the TV.

I have only had the module for a week now, and so I am still playing about with it. first impressions are a little mixed. First up - if you want to run the display at anything other than 640x480@60Hz, you'll probably find the geometry a little out. This is something i'm trying to correct at the moment. I'm not entirely happy with my results but they are improving, a little overscan has helped to take my mind off the geometry for the time being. Also there are no aspect ratio controls available for the VGA input, so you need to use a combination of software on the PC to try and get the right format to the screen.

With regards to the difference in the image - I am overwhelmed by it to be honest. At the moment i've just got my PS2 composite output into a hauppauge WinTV card, through Dscaler and out to the TV at native PAL res 720x576@50Hz. A direct comparison of this as a source compared to my DVD player via RGB scart shows the effectiveness of Progressive scan - no jaggies, just film-like images, detail I couldn't make out before became clear on screen. Overall I preferred the PS2 as a source even using composite into a noisy card.

I'm trying the same thing tonight with my STB, again composite, and if the results are as good i'll invest in a better tv card with true svideo input, and get an RGB to svideo converter.

Another option is something like an Iscan - these do the same thing as dscaler in hardware and are much easier to use i would imagine, someone has written an article about their experiences with this and a Loewe, I can't recall the thread i'm afraid. This leaves scaling problems however so neither solution is perfect.

9. JurgenNL

JurgenNL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi Jagsta,

Thank you for giving first hand information. I know quite a few people want to know more about it. Please keep us informed.

I have read earlier the thread about Iscan, but that is a way of extern interlacing, whereas - if I see it right - the VGA-module should make it possible to make use of real progressive scan, [independent - that's in any case said to me by the German Loewe Service - of using the Q2400 or the Q 2500H chassis].

I was wondering if the geometry problem also exists when the input-information is not scaled but coming from the original source. I mean if I have a DVD with a lets say 16:9, 1.85 image and do not change it, do I still have a geometry problem?

Jürgen

10. Jagsta

Jagsta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good question - my kit is all quite low end, so at them moment I don't have either a progressive scan capable dvd player with component outputs, or a transcoder for inputting this to the vga module. I'd be interested in the results though - I may be able to borrow a prog scan dvd player, but a transcoder is out of the equation for me at the moment.

One problem mentioned with Iscan was that they couldn't always fill the screen, depending on the source, because of the limited geometry adjustment available. I expect this would be the same with a dvd source, since I rely heavily on the PC to produce the right format image.