1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Loewe Experts - Help Please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Gerbil, Jul 27, 2002.

1. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Well my new Loewe Aconda 9381 turned up today and is now sat proudly in my living room.

Trouble is I think somethings up with it. :-(

In any mode other than 4:3 there are blue borders visible on the left and right of the picture. If I alter the picture mode with the remote (16:9, 4:3,Pan,Cine,PALPlus) then the borders change colour to red, stay that way for about three seconds then go back to blue. The actual width of the picture doesn't change in any of the modes other than 4:3, but the width of the blue borders does vary. In 16:9, Cine and PALPlus the blue borders fill the complete gap to the edge of the screen, in Pan mode they're fairly narrow. There doesn't seem to be any way of getting the picure to completely fill the screen. If I watch a widescreen DVD (1.85:1) then shouldn't one of the picture modes allow me to fill the screen width ways? Thing is if the actual picture filled the width occuppied by the blue borders then it would be about right. I should add that these borders are visible when watching either normal terrestrial or via the Scart sockets.

A brief trip to the service menu said the set had been in use 0 hours so presumably it had either a very quick or non existent calibration at the factory.

Only other factor is that the John Lewis TV people decided to fit the vga card I ordered with it despite the fact that I opted not to pay the £65 they wanted for installation. The card is in the TV and has obviously been set correctly in the service menu as it shows up as one of the AV inputs. I suppose its possible they screwed something up when they inserted the card.

Bit of a tall order, but any ideas folks? Just want to be sure I'm not missing something obvious before I have a conversation with John Lewis on Monday.

2. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    OK some success in the service menu to report.

I altered the H amplitude from 31 to 41 and that was enough to expand the picture to fill the screen in 16:9 mode and get rid of the blue borders.

Thing is, the 4:3 picture now seems slightly too large width ways, but since the H amplitude setting seems shared between all geometry modes (ie if I alter it with the screen set to 16:9 then all the other modes are also affected) how can I change the width of the picture for 4:3.

Not sure I should really be twidling in the service menu on a set less then three hours old, but what the hell...

As always, any help appreciated.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Gerbil:

I Got your PM but thought I would reply here. From the sound of things, your Geometry was well off and should not have been like that. With the set being brand new and the geometry being as bad as you described, I would get a service engineer out rather than fix it myself. There's nothing wrong with tweaking the geometry here and there to better center the picture etc., but I wouldn't change it to the extent of correcting obvious faults, as your set most definately has.

What version chassis and model number of Aconda do you have? I'll PM you my service menu settings later this evening as I'm going to see Goldmember shortly. :)

4. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi Groundy

Chassis 2500/H
    Software 3.1

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you about the service engineer, but I'm already 1.5 days of holiday down what with the problems I had with the Philips that this was supposed to replace.

Somehow I'd rather be spending my holiday on a beach or something than waiting for yet another delivery/service visit.

Settings in all modes on mine seemed to be virtually identical

ie

Rotation 35
    V Slope 42
    V Amplitude 25
    V Position 33
    S Correction 21
    H Amplitude 31 (41 now)
    H Position 30
    EW Amplitude 23
    EW Upper 27
    EW Lower 28
    Trapezium 28
    V Bow 8
    V Angle 7
    H Offset 14

Oddly enough the only setting that was any different was the H Position setting of 31 in 4:3 and Pan mode rather than the 30 above.

If I don't get anywhere fixing it myself then I'll reset the settings to their original values and then I guess it'll have to be the call to the service engineer and more of my precious holiday gone :-(

If anybody else in addition to groundy wants to share their service menu settings for comparative purposes than all input is definitely welcome!

Thanks again groundy (my saviour)!

5. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, back from Goldmember :D. Quite funny but more of the same. I think the jokes have run their course now but there is a surprising amount of cameo's from the big name stars in it.

Anyway, back to the problem at hand. Most TV's leave the factory with different setups so my settings won't be of much help to you as some of them are vastly different. Here are my PAL settings:

Rotation 22
    V Slope 40
    V Amplitude 14
    V Position 36 (Default 25)
    S Correction 11
    H Amplitude 37
    H Position 25 (Default 29)
    EW Amplitude 21
    EW Upper 26
    EW Lower 26
    Trapezium 30
    V Bow 7
    V Angle 7
    H Offset 27

As you can see, some are similar to yours but some are not. Using my settings probably won't be suitable. I've only tweaked V Position and H Position as there are currently no proper PAL calibration discs available. These two settings were easily seen as being off-center though with V Position being way off.

NTSC settings are completely independant and are store seperately to those used for PAL viewing on the Aconda. I've extensively tweaked my NTSC settings using AVIA so if you want to check these also, just let me know.

Unfortunately most of the geometry parameters are linked across the different aspect ratio's so tweaking in one mode will inevitably affect another.

Let me know how you get on :).

6. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hmmm.

Thanks for that, but some of those are way off my settings and changing them to your values didn't seem to help much. Even tweaking H Offset by 1 instantly changes the screen as if you turned the brightness full up, so I swiftly exited the service menu without saving the new settings.

I think with the H Amplitude set as it is currently is fine. There's no distortions or other nasties that I've noticed. There doesn't seem much point me resetting H Amplitude to the way it was when the set turned up and then calling a service engineer just for him to put it back to the way I've currently got it.

The only slightly weird thing I've noticed is the amount of overscan in 16:9 mode. If you watch a widescreen DVD in 4:3 mode and pause it, then switch to 16:9 then an awful lot of the picture at the sides is expanded off the screen. Its not the amount of overscan I've got set as even reducing H Amplitude by one notch leads to a return of the blue borders.

I seem to remember reading someone elses post on these forums that was experiencing the same thing with their Loewe so maybe I'll just chalk it up as a feature.

Anyone care to enlighten me as to how you can get fullscreen teletext rather than picture and text side by side? I'm sure I'm missing something obvious.

7. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Turn Text on then hit the PIP button on the remote. This is the button on the top left of the controls that has a little filled square inside another square.

8. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Thanks for that. Easy when you know how !

I've decided to call out the service engineer. There's something definitely up with this set.

I've discovered whilst playing that when you hit the teletext button and it goes into split screen mode then about 1/5 of the right side of the teletext page is missing. Unfortunately this is the part that holds the page numbers on most pages

i.e. on the BBC new index page I can see the headlines, but none of the corresponding page numbers as they're off the screen.

Its nothing I've done in the service menu as if I reduce H Amplitude to what it was before then all it does is shrink the horizontal size of what was already showing on the screen and the blue borders return. ie its not a straight problem of too much overscan.

I'm planning on calling Loewe Technical support tomorrow and hopefully get them to confirm that they believe its a fault and then contact John Lewis. That should avoid the old John Lewis "its not a fault, its a feature" chestnut that I've already been through with the Phillips.

Its a real shame as I'm really beginning to warm to the set, the way it looks, the nice little touches in the menu system and the picture itself. I don't think it does quite as well as the Pixel Plus on the Philips when fed a good quality source, but it does look better on run of the mill sources and so far I've noticed less halo effects.

9. Gerbil

Gerbil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    To continue the trend of replying to my own threads...

Spoke to Loewe technical support on Monday who were very helpful and confirmed that as far as they were concerned from a verbal description of the problem my TV had a fault.

It took until this afternoon to convince John Lewis of the same thing, but I now have a replacement on order. I guess that counts as a fairly quick resolution though.

10. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just read this thread and was wondering whether or not the story had a happy ending.

I've just acquired two-and-a-half year old Aconda, which is wonderful apart from the fact that it keeps adjusting the colour from pinkish to bluish and back again. It corrects the colour when text is used but when returning to TV the problem recurs.

This seems similar to one of the problems that you had....

11. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sotosound, what you describe (pinkish-blueish) is just a degaussing problem and is caused from static buildup.

Try turning the tv off and actually unplug the power cord from the socket. Leave for 24 hours before replugging and see if it still does it.

If its not fixed you will nedd a tv repairman to come out with a degaussing wand and fix it. It is a 2 minute job and would only cost you the price of a call out fee.

12. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks.

I'll give it a go and feedback to the forum as to how it went.

13. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to degauss as suggested but to no avail.

Having read about degaussing, it's also possible that my TV has a different problem.

All descriptions of degaussing describe pictures with a steady patch of discolouration, whereas my TV's picture has no discoloured patches - the "pinking up" problem afflicts the whole picture and then un-afflicts the whole picture and then....

An engineer is therefore calling later today to take the TV away for some TLC under warranty, and it's back to my old Sony 25" 4:3 TV for a while.

I'll keep this thread updated.

14. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the Degaussing is only if it is in patches in the corner e.t.c so if its the whole screen that has a problem it must be the electronics. Good thing you still have warranty.

15. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well.... the repair company has decided that the TV can't be repaired due to a parts availability problem.

I am therefore being offered the money for a replacement.

Trying to buy a brand new Stratos Metallic 32" Aconda without a hard drive is not, however, that easy as it is now a discontinued line.

The first web-based reseller had one showing on stock but a physical check revealed that it was actually piano black.

The second web-based reseller insisted that they had a Stratos Metallic set in stock but I pushed them to do a physical check and just now (four days later) they've confirmed that they also have none.

So... it's time to start the search for a good widescreen TV all over again.

Any suggestions? My budget is around £1300 including a decent warranty.

16. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would just get a black one. I have black it is awesome. For about that money you will not get a better picture. Prehaps you may want to look at the top of the line Sony CRT for that price as well.

17. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the recommendation.

I looked at a Toshiba 36ZP48 today and although it has a 36" screen with a good picture, and although it is hardly any bigger in terms of frontal area than the Aconda, it is not as clever as the Aconda inasmuch as it doesn't appear to be able to change the picture format according to what is being broadcast.

This is not a problem for blokes like me who are happy to push buttons all day, but the rest of my family would simply end up wondering why everyone is either tall and very thin or short and very fat. It's also the case that the Aconda is a very stylish TV and the Toshiba looks cheap in comparison.

(If I had never seen a Loewe Aconda, however, I would have thought that the Toshiba was a smart looking TV.)

Anyway, just as I was sinking into a deep depression, over the hill rides the new Aconda C32.

This model has a medium range chassis intead of the old high end one.

Loewe UK advise that it has 3 scarts, which is contrary to previous reports of 2 scarts, that the picture and sound are just as good as they ever were, and that the only facility missing is the ability to have a 50:50 split screen for TV. It can do PIP and it can put TV on one side and text on the other. In my view having 50:50 split screen is just showing off, so who cares?

I want a good sound and a good single picture. On top of this the C32 comes with an integrated hard drive at a similar price to the old 9381 without a hard drive.

So, I will triple check with Loewe on Monday 11th July and if all is well I will order an Aconda C32 in Stratos Metallic.

I'll let y'all know how I get on.

18. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Now... just as I'm girding my loins to speak to Loewe, I see that someone is offering a Loewe Aconda 9581ZW for sale.

9581? What's one of those? I don't know, and I can't find anything on the web that distinguishes between a 9581 and a 9381.

Can someone help? Please?

19. Jack Bowyer

Jack Bowyer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    9581 has a dolby digital card inside, also, has I R link feature too.
    9581 has a gloss back (silver) 9381 has a matt back (black)

Find out if its a Q2400 chassis or Q2500 one, latter is better as you get multi picture in picture (something else you don't get on the 9381 only normal PnP)

O yea, you also get a control 10 remote with the 9581 (metal remote with lcd at the top)

20. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PiP is good but as soon as you connect a digital set top box you lose that feature anyway.

My friend had a Metz and you could bring up 9 channels on the one screen with its pip functions. (they were not running at full speed thoguh)

21. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to you both.

One of the things that appealed about the 9381 in Stratos Metallic was the fact that it combined black and silver - which matched my loudspeakers (black cabinets and silver cones).

Therefore it comes down to buying a brand new Aconda C32 in Stratos Metallic.

Decision made!

22. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the Aconda C32 eventually arrived and was installed by a couple of engineers.

As far as I can tell, the picture and sound quality are the equals of my old 9381 plus I don't have to contend with the telly constantly altering the amount of red tint in the picture.

I have PIP but have lost the ability to have picture and picture (PAP?) but I couldn't care really as I only have a basic brain and cannot watch two channels at once.

The remote is a new-style one and is quite user friendly.

The telly itself looks exactly like the old 9381 and visitors would not realise that the old one had dropped off the twig.

The one feature that I'm slow to learn about is the built-in hard drive. There is nothing in the manual about it and the help text assumes a level of knowledge that I don't have. Therefore I'll have to sit down and really concentrate on this one day.

What I have noticed is that the hard drive seems to give out a gentle rhythmic clunking noise at all times after it has spun up. It sounds like a very soft version of the noise that a PC floppy drive makes when it is having difficulty reading a floppy disk. Is this normal for the Loewe hard drive system or should I get the engineers back out?

23. Agisthos

Agisthos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would ring them up and ask them about it first, like with pc's some hard drives make a lot of noise

24. sotosound

sotosound
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound advice, thanks.

I'll let you know how it goes.