Any lip-sync problems on OLEDs?

Cheers Wayne! A lot of info to digest there. So do you currently no longer suffer from lip sync? I just want to believe it is possible with OLED!

I tried both an on-brand LG SY10 with my LG C9 (but had lip sync issues and was tooo big) so then heard all the hype and reviews on the Samsung Q906 and it is impressive but immediately dismayed to have lip sync be super obvious. Direct into the sound-bar alleviates it a bit but it is clearly there and when ya know, ya know, ya know?

Yesterday I tried to switch off to it and watch Apocalypse Now with this brand new (expensive!) set-up and wind down, however, lip sync was there (but tried to ignore it) yet then every few minutes or so, the sound just cut out for a moment and then returned. Listening on Dolby Atmos. Not quite sure what was causing it, tried three different HDMI cables but still. So had to turn it off. And have an angry sleep.

Any ideas here? Got a feeling its still to do with the sound outputs somewhere in settings somewhere...?

Cheers Wayne! A lot of info to digest there. So do you currently no longer suffer from lip sync? I just want to believe it is possible with OLED!

I tried both an on-brand LG SY10 with my LG C9 (but had lip sync issues and was tooo big) so then heard all the hype and reviews on the Samsung Q906 and it is impressive but immediately dismayed to have lip sync be super obvious. Direct into the sound-bar alleviates it a bit but it is clearly there and when ya know, ya know, ya know?

Yesterday I tried to switch off to it and watch Apocalypse Now with this brand new (expensive!) set-up and wind down, however, lip sync was there (but tried to ignore it) yet then every few minutes or so, the sound just cut out for a moment and then returned. Listening on Dolby Atmos. Not quite sure what was causing it, tried three different HDMI cables but still. So had to turn it off. And have an angry sleep.

Any ideas here? Got a feeling its still to do with the sound outputs somewhere in settings somewhere...?

Have you got auto lip sync on, on the TV? Or could you try connecting with optical?

I haven't tried optical yet, but may try that later- just don't want to lose out on all that Dolby Atmos and 7.1.4 channels and all that goodness I paid for... But would rather audio and video be in sync probably!

As for auto lip sync on? Do you mean: AV Sync Adjustment? That is on and set to Bypass. Is that correct?

I'm surprised to hear that you have lip-sync issues with your devices connected directly to the soundbar. As someone else mentioned, this seems more like a settings issue. I'd try factory resetting the TV and soundbar if you can't resolve it.

In my experience I have only encountered issues when outputting the TV sound to the soundbar, so typically TV apps over ARC is the common culprit. If I would be happy to lose 5.1 and settle for Stereo, then all is fine. But I am too stubborn to accept Stereo after forking out for an OLED and 7.1 4K HDR soundbar.

I did have Apple TV 4K for a limited time, and yes, this did resolve my issues as expected. Although I only resolved one issue to introduce another - I discovered a Netflix framerate bug that would drive me 'almost' as mad, but at least the audio was fine. I returned it.

As of today I still use the TV apps and I still do encounter the issue, but I work around it. I was going to try an Nvidia Shield next. However, my TV is also faulty with a different picture issue - I'd rather get my TV fixed or replaced first before forking out for another dedicated device for apps.

It's just the current pandemic situation is making it difficult to arrange an engineer visit, so it's not a priority right now.

Agreed, the only way to have no lip sync problems (or minimal problems) is to feed your inputs into your sound bar and then connect it to your TV via ARC. Your choice then whether you want to have the audio from the TV to the soundbar via ARC (back down the same cable) or via optical. There's still around 100ms delay on the optical link anyway - you can prove this by using "Internal Speaker + Optical" as the sound setting and playing it through a sound bar.

It seems no external boxes do everything yet. Chromecast comes closest, doing 4K HDR, HLG, HDR10+, Atmos (I think that's correct!). nVidia Shield TV doesn't do some combinations, I can't remember which, so I discounted that. Same with the Roku boxes and Apple TV. Some boxes support some apps, but the only one which supported eveything was Chromecast due to the mobile apps having the Chromecast function (thinking Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime, Chili TV, Rakuten TV, YouTube here).

I see that my Chromecast Ultra has finally been dispatched and so should be here in about a week's time. I'll report back at that point...

I'm surprised to hear that you have lip-sync issues with your devices connected directly to the soundbar. As someone else mentioned, this seems more like a settings issue. I'd try factory resetting the TV and soundbar if you can't resolve it.

In my experience I have only encountered issues when outputting the TV sound to the soundbar, so typically TV apps over ARC is the common culprit. If I would be happy to lose 5.1 and settle for Stereo, then all is fine. But I am too stubborn to accept Stereo after forking out for an OLED and 7.1 4K HDR soundbar.

I did have Apple TV 4K for a limited time, and yes, this did resolve my issues as expected. Although I only resolved one issue to introduce another - I discovered a Netflix framerate bug that would drive me 'almost' as mad, but at least the audio was fine. I returned it.

As of today I still use the TV apps and I still do encounter the issue, but I work around it. I was going to try an Nvidia Shield next. However, my TV is also faulty with a different picture issue - I'd rather get my TV fixed or replaced first before forking out for another dedicated device for apps.

It's just the current pandemic situation is making it difficult to arrange an engineer visit, so it's not a priority right now.
Hey again Waynej. I might try a factory reset on both devices then... If it's only me having this issue?
I'm watching Netflix again now and there is about half a second delay where the audio comes just before the video... Annoying. Tried again with a blu ray and weirdly not only is the audio delayed the same but the sound cuts out completely for a second every so often... Seemingly randomly! So frustrating as I can't work out what is causing it. Same with the PS4 Pro!
So I've set my LG Sync Settings to Bypass, HDMI 2 to Bitsteam, and selected Pass through. Which I think are all the correct settings?

Hey again Waynej. I might try a factory reset on both devices then... If it's only me having this issue?
I'm watching Netflix again now and there is about half a second delay where the audio comes just before the video... Annoying. Tried again with a blu ray and weirdly not only is the audio delayed the same but the sound cuts out completely for a second every so often... Seemingly randomly! So frustrating as I can't work out what is causing it. Same with the PS4 Pro!
So I've set my LG Sync Settings to Bypass, HDMI 2 to Bitsteam, and selected Pass through. Which I think are all the correct settings?
I am not sure what the settings should be as I am unfamilar with the options of your TV and soundbar.

The reason I suggested trying a factory reset is theoretically at default values you should have no issues with any devices going directly into the soundbar. The lip-sync that the rest of us are complaining about is more directly related to ARC/Optical, where the TV passes the audio back to the soundbar/receiver.

If the audio is arriving before the video, then you should be able to set a delay on the soundbar to compensate for this - basically the soundbar will delay the audio a bit, to allow for the video to be sent to the TV and go through the TV's picture processing. This is the way round that is ok.

The problem most of us have is that the TV sends the audio AFTER the video is displayed, so the soundbar cannot possibly predict the sound that's needed in the future! This is the big problem with LG OLED TVs.

Before you try a factory reset (which will mean you have to go round and change all your settings again), make sure you've tried setting up the audio delay in your sound bar. Which sound bar do you have, as Googling Samsung Q906 turns up no results - I think you might have got the model number wrong?

If the audio is arriving before the video, then you should be able to set a delay on the soundbar to compensate for this - basically the soundbar will delay the audio a bit, to allow for the video to be sent to the TV and go through the TV's picture processing. This is the way round that is ok.

The problem most of us have is that the TV sends the audio AFTER the video is displayed, so the soundbar cannot possibly predict the sound that's needed in the future! This is the big problem with LG OLED TVs.

Before you try a factory reset (which will mean you have to go round and change all your settings again), make sure you've tried setting up the audio delay in your sound bar. Which sound bar do you have, as Googling Samsung Q906 turns up no results - I think you might have got the model number wrong?
Thanks again guys! Really appreciate this! Sorry yeah, typo with the model number- I have the LG C9 55inch with the Samsung Q90R soundbar!

Ah okay...that's interesting. Yeah it looks like the lips move just after the audio... Which I figured was because the TV processes the sound quicker than the video? And saw that the delay options on the TV pushed it worse, creating more of a delay. So assumed it was the same for the soundbar? And adding any delay on there would also make it worse?

Adding delay to the soundbar allows time for the TV to process the video before displaying it. In theory, the TV should *never* send out audio that's behind the video for the exact reason that it's impossible for the soundbar to correct it (unless it has a time machine ;-)).

Looking at the instruction manual for your sound bar (page 28), you should go into Sound Control, then SYNC, and use the up/down buttons to increase/decrease the audio delay until it looks right. You'll find that with the audio coming from the TV (e.g. via the Freeview tuner) this will just make things worse :( but if you use sources connected to the sound bar, you can compensate for the video processing delay in the TV and you should be able to make it reasonable.

Adding delay to the soundbar allows time for the TV to process the video before displaying it. In theory, the TV should *never* send out audio that's behind the video for the exact reason that it's impossible for the soundbar to correct it (unless it has a time machine ;-)).

Looking at the instruction manual for your sound bar (page 28), you should go into Sound Control, then SYNC, and use the up/down buttons to increase/decrease the audio delay until it looks right. You'll find that with the audio coming from the TV (e.g. via the Freeview tuner) this will just make things worse :( but if you use sources connected to the sound bar, you can compensate for the video processing delay in the TV and you should be able to make it reasonable.
Hey man, thanks so much for this!! I’m literally watching Better Call Saul right now and trying to get this right. As it’s playing from the Netflix app on the C9 It looks like I’m just adding delay if I increase it from 0 on the Soundbar. That makes sense right? Damn it.
However you reckon increasing the number on the Soundbar may help with external sources like blu Ray players?

Happy to help if I can :)

Yes, if you're watching something on the TV, increasing the setting on the soundbar will only make it worse - this is the big problem with LG OLEDs and it's 100% not fixable :(

If you use a Chromecast Ultra, nVidia Shield TV, Roku box, etc etc running the Netflix app connected to your soundbar though, then you should be able to change the audio delay to get it just right.

However after spending >£1000 on a TV that's advertised as having smart apps, you should NOT have to buy an external box. That's what makes me angry 😡😡🤬

Happy to help if I can :)

Yes, if you're watching something on the TV, increasing the setting on the soundbar will only make it worse - this is the big problem with LG OLEDs and it's 100% not fixable :(

If you use a Chromecast Ultra, nVidia Shield TV, Roku box, etc etc running the Netflix app connected to your soundbar though, then you should be able to change the audio delay to get it just right.

However after spending >£1000 on a TV that's advertised as having smart apps, you should NOT have to buy an external box. That's what makes me angry 😡😡🤬

Hey again! So plugging in my LG 4k UHD disc player directly into the Samsung Q90R instead of the LG C9 and adding delay on the sound-bar does reduce the delay (however never quite seems exactly right) but worse than the lip sync, this causes the audio to cut out for about a second every minute or so. Like it can't handle the audio info or something. Cuts out a word in dialogue and makes a loud action sequence impossible. Tried watching Spider-Man Far From Home and was a stressful experience because no matter how many HDMI cables I tried- the audio still cut out on Dolby Atmos.

Any ideas? Is this another example of the LG C9 meet soundbar's HDMI Arc connection being faulty? Or needing an eArc update?

That is frustrating!! One thing I found with my Yamaha sound bar was that even when plugging things into its own HDMI sockets, the sound was still going via the TV - up the HDMI cable and then back down the ARC audio channel!! I had to turn HDMI Control off and then set HDMI Audio to "Amp" instead of TV. I'd suggest having a look through your manual to see if there's a similar setting...

Forgot to say - LG have raised a "Voice of Customer" report for this, which seems to basically be a wish list and is likely to be ignored as I see that others have had the same thing for a couple of years and nothing's happened. Never again will I buy an LG, sadly :(

Well that is very tragic... Looks like I'm going to have to live with the lip sync issue then, until an update potentially comes but not hold my breath... 😟

What are you current workarounds for lip sync?

Sadly the only work-around is to connect things via the sound bar where you can, and use the optical out from the TV to the sound bar for sound. You'll only get Dolby Digital that way (no Atmos or Dolby Digital+) but the lip sync issue is less bad, though still there. You could get an HDMI splitter and connect your input through a Y splitter to both the TV and soundbar so that the soundbar is forced to just play the sound it receives, and the TV just does the video. Not tried that but it should work!

Good luck and let us know how you get on...

If you could raise this with LG too, that would be great (via their website) so they know they have another person with this problem. Unless lots of people complain, they won't do anything about it.

In case it helps, I also get sound drop-outs when I use a Chromecast Ultra plugged into the TV (HDMI 3) with ARC connection to the sound bar, watching Netflix. So I get Dolby Atmos, but lousy sound.

Instead, I've plugged the Chromecast Ultra plugged into my soundbar and set the sound bar to have 15ms delay. The TV is set to ARC sound output, AV Sync Adjustment On, with the HDMI ARC slider set to 0 and Bypass off. I have the same settings in use whether it's using the internal apps (e.g. iPlayer) or watching the soundbar's video coming in via HDMI.

That seems to allow me to have reasonable lip-sync (hooray!) but the TV won't pass back Atmos, so I just get Dolby Digital+, and the sound bar won't pass through Dolby Vision or HDR.

This therefore means that I have to watch Netflix or Youtube via Chromecast, but iPlayer actually seems ok on the TV itself. This means I shall now take it up with Netflix as it might just be their app on the TV that's problematic...

@DerwDerw I've just found that my sound drop-out is due to my HDMI cable not being good enough! Despite it being a decent one (supposedly) and being "High Speed with Ethernet", it fails to successfully take the Dolby Atmos data rate required. It's also quite a long cable (4m), so I'd recommend trying a shorter and good quality HDMI cable - I suspect your audio drop-outs will go away.

At least I now have Netflix running Dolby Atmos titles in reasonable synchrony with the settings above! :)

Last edited:
I've been having a *lot* of issues with this, over multiple different cables, Amazon 18Gbps High Speed w/Eth and Cable Matters 48Gbps Ultra High Speed.

I get sync issues with the Prime app on my LG B7 (55) and running apps on other devices through my AVR, most notably the Shield. Either way, there are issues. I (like you) have read up online, and it's *everywhere* that the LG has sync issues all over the shop. Not really sure what to add, just ... a fellow sufferer.

I did read something about turning off Atmos on the TV, but I think that's just for running it on internal speakers ... I'll see if that's a weird thing that actually fixes the surround delays or whatever ..... aaaaand it does sweet FA. And we all know that the FA are *not* sweet.

Incidentally, now the updated Prime app simply doesn't work ... google DNS or nay. Oh, and Prime content (even 23fps stuff) is worse than anything else ... whether the box is set to 23 or not ...

The speed of the cables doesn't really matter as long as it reliably supports the Ethernet speeds used (which my one didn't until I changed it).

Rather than just being a fellow sufferer, could you report the problem to LG? Otherwise they won't do anything because just suffering doesn't get anything changed... Many thanks. Persevere as they will go through the usual nonsense of turning it off and on again and blaming the sound bar or external device.

I've stopped using any apps apart from Netflix, and then only for Atmos stuff which seems to be better - reportedly because it doesn't use Dolby Digital as the audio stream.

That's such an opposite experience I've had to my nightmare with the LG. I really wish I'd bought the Panasonic now...!
I have the Panasonic TX-55GZ950 OLED TV which is connected via HDMI ARC to a Denon AVR-X2600 amp and have the same audio delay problem with any TV source with Dolby sound, the delay is about 100ms. If i switch the TV output to PCM then sync is perfect. I tried using optical between the TV and amp and still get the 100ms delay on any Dolby sound, but again it is perfect set to PCM stereo. There is no adjustment on the TV to compensate for sync issues and the amp only has adjustment to delay the audio further, which is useless as it is already delayed. Dolby broadcasts played through the TV speakers are perfectly synced, so i assume that either the TV or the AMP is applying a delay of 100ms when they are connected together via HDMI ARC and there seems to be no way of stopping this happening either on the AMP or the TV , so am restricted to watching TV broadcasts in stereo only, all other devices are connected directly to the AMP and all set to 0ms delay and no issues with delay on any of them.
So many people having this issue between TV and AMP/ SOUNDBAR from all manufacturers, seems to me that Dolby from TV to AMP does not work and someone needs to fix this.
Highly Frustrating !

Thanks, that's useful (if disappointing!) to know. On LG TVs it can be anywhere up to half a second, with 100ms being the very best you can get...
It does rather sound like there's a bit of a mess going on with the ARC and e-ARC specification implementation which is specifically designed to solve this problem, yet seems to be making it worse!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom