Any lip-sync problems on OLEDs?

rgledhill

Hi everyone,
I'm having enormous lip sync problems with my otherwise brilliant LG 55B8OLED TV, to the extent that I'm asking them for a refund.
If I'm successful, I'd be looking at the Panasonic TVs that use the equivalent (or later) panel, probably the TX55GZ950B or TX55GZ1500B.
So, the big question: are these TVs good with lip-sync? I have an external soundbar (Yamaha YSP-5600) which does have good options in this regard, but the LG's video leads the audio which is impossible to correct for!
Many thanks for any pointers.
Richard

thedoswells

Hi everyone,
I'm having enormous lip sync problems with my otherwise brilliant LG 55B8OLED TV, to the extent that I'm asking them for a refund.
If I'm successful, I'd be looking at the Panasonic TVs that use the equivalent (or later) panel, probably the TX55GZ950B or TX55GZ1500B.
So, the big question: are these TVs good with lip-sync? I have an external soundbar (Yamaha YSP-5600) which does have good options in this regard, but the LG's video leads the audio which is impossible to correct for!
Many thanks for any pointers.
Richard

Is this definitely an issue with the TV rather than the connection? Are you connected via hdmi arc or optical? I have the gz950 and have no lip sync issues connected to my Panasonic soundbar, but I wouldn't expect it to be any better than your LG. Cheers

rgledhill

Yep, tried everything with the TV. I'm pretty clued up on AV stuff so I know a design fault when I see one. It's worst via HDMI ARC but even on optical there is a delay of around 100ms in what's sent to the sound bar, i.e. the video leads the audio, which is impossible for the sound bar to correct (unless it has a time machine!). Apparently LG OLEDs are known for their lip sync problems - loads of threads in the LG forum about it, which sadly I discovered too late.
Good to hear your GZ950 behaves - thank you!

rgledhill

This is a very encouraging silence! Either there aren't any real problems, or no-one's bought the Panasonic OLED TVs, which seems unlikely ;-)

thedoswells

This is a very encouraging silence! Either there aren't any real problems, or no-one's bought the Panasonic OLED TVs, which seems unlikely ;-)

I haven’t generally heard of Panasonic GZs owners complaining of this, but of course everyone’s configurations are different.
I have (or had) a 4K firestick, sky q, Sony Blu-ray, Xbox one x all connected to the tv via hdmi arc with no lip sync issues on anything.
the only thing I have connected direct to soundbar is my 4K player but that is more to get full fat atmos. The video is passed direct to tv so 2 hdmi out of the player, and again no sync issues. I’ve not made adjustments for delay anywhere...

sebna

Owner of both c6 and C9 and I have 0 problems with lip sync on both. C6 as it was before auto lip sync times required some tuning here or there on per device basis but always within window of adjustability and once done 5 years ago still perfect now.

C9 I just enabled auto lip sync and it has been perfect ever since

thedoswells

That's such an opposite experience I've had to my nightmare with the LG. I really wish I'd bought the Panasonic now...!

well I’m sorry youve had so many issues. I still really don’t see why the Panasonic’s should be less likely to have these types of problems. They are both excellent TVs imo. I hope you find a solution one way or another..

rgledhill

The only thing in common with them is that they share the same panel - all the electronics and software is totally different. Given they run different operating systems and user interfaces, use different electronics and have different software, there's no reason why they should behave the same - and they don't. It seems that Panasonic have quite simply done a better job of it, whereas LG have just made do with something even though it's inadequate.
What really annoys me is that the so-called expert reviews mention nothing of these problems, which you can't miss if you connect any LG OLED to a soundbar and run any app.

thedoswells

The only thing in common with them is that they share the same panel - all the electronics and software is totally different. Given they run different operating systems and user interfaces, use different electronics and have different software, there's no reason why they should behave the same - and they don't. It seems that Panasonic have quite simply done a better job of it, whereas LG have just made do with something even though it's inadequate.
What really annoys me is that the so-called expert reviews mention nothing of these problems, which you can't miss if you connect any LG OLED to a soundbar and run any app.

o yes I appreciate that they are very different. It’s just that when I demoed the c9 and e9 a fair bit in store I never noticed these issues, and am just surprised that this would be such a common issue given how many units they sell.
what are your plans? Change what you have?

rgledhill

Agreed... I spent hours looking at and listening to TVs, bringing my own source material on USB stick as well as using YouTube, iPlayer and others. The thing is, when using the internal speakers, they're fine. I didn't expect to have to bring in my own sound bar to audition them!! :(
I'm pushing LG for a refund (reluctantly, I hate this sort of thing) as I now want to buy a Panasonic instead. At the time they were around £300 more expensive and the LG was at the top of my budget, but it looks like I should have spent the extra :( .

sebna

For 300 you could get reciever and 5.1 setup. It would solve your problem and improve sound.

thedoswells

Agreed... I spent hours looking at and listening to TVs, bringing my own source material on USB stick as well as using YouTube, iPlayer and others. The thing is, when using the internal speakers, they're fine. I didn't expect to have to bring in my own sound bar to audition them!! :(
I'm pushing LG for a refund (reluctantly, I hate this sort of thing) as I now want to buy a Panasonic instead. At the time they were around £300 more expensive and the LG was at the top of my budget, but it looks like I should have spent the extra :( .

interesting. One reason I bought the Panasonic was that at the time the C9 was significantly more expensive. I was tempted by the C9 very much.
is it definitely not the soundbar? I’d hate for you to swap the tv and have the same issues... @sebna what do you use for sound please?

rgledhill

Receiver and speakers is not an option, sadly, as the wife doesn't want boxes everywhere in the room. I had a lovely B&W 5.1 set-up before :( At least I'm allowed a decent subwoofer which I run off the Yamaha YSP5600's wireless sub link. Previous to the Yamaha I had a Naim Mu-So which sounded good but had no stereo width, hence the YSP with it's wide angle sound which works surprisingly well.
I have the B8, not the C9. The C9 offers better video processing but suffers the same problems with lip sync, as do all LG OLEDs.
Thanks for checking :)

sebna

interesting. One reason I bought the Panasonic was that at the time the C9 was significantly more expensive. I was tempted by the C9 very much.
is it definitely not the soundbar? I’d hate for you to swap the tv and have the same issues... @sebna what do you use for sound please?

Some 10 years+ old Samsung DVD player witch comes with 5.1 out of the box (which I got for free when I was buying Samsung A590 12 years ago?) with my C6 65" + Sky HD + Panasonic UB900 + Xbox One X + HTPC + Streaming via LG Apps and all of that is connected via Toslink (optical) to this 10+ years Samsung DVD acting as quasi receiver and direct HDMI from devices to TV for video signal.

And 5.1.4 with my C9 in the other room (Denon x3600h AVR + Definitive Technology 8x ProMonitors 1000 and 1x 2000 center + Arendal SUB 1) + UB820 + Xbox one X + streaming through LG APPs all via HDMI to AVR with eARC back from TV.

In C6 setup I had to adjust sound delay for one device. Cannot remember which one was it and I am extremely sensitive to any lip sync issues. My internet connection at home is not great so occasionally internal streaming apps on C6 will go out of sync which I will notice straight away. The solution then is to pause the material for a second or 2 and play again. It allows app to resync. But I believe it is my connection rather then apps themselves as I live in the middle of nowhere and the only thing that is available to me here is GSM connection so (3g, 4g etc.).

Most of the time it is good enough to stream 4k but it fluctuates so I have those problems.

Denon setup sounds much better but Samsung does surprisingly good. I would say 70% of the upstairs system in terms of sound quality and it costed me "0" in oppose to few K for upstairs setup.

I am contemplating adding another SUB 1 to the setup... thank god my wife never had a urge to fight any of my many hobbies :D. She is a real keeper :), she just goes with the flow.

Cheers

Last edited:

DerwDerw

Standard Member
Hey everyone! Just got a C9 (wow) and a Samsung Q90R Soundbar (wow wow) to go with it. Best lockdown ever!

Until...I immediately noticed lip sync lag. On basically everything. Internal apps and external connections. Video is slightly behind audio. The closest I’ve got to it being right is:

PS4 pro + LG 4kplayer to HMDI on Samsung Q90R> then HMDI Arc to LGC9.

But as good as The Matrix looks in 4K, Trinity’s lips are just a little slow... And flashes are behind etc. and when you see the dialogue delay. You can’t I see it!

I don’t want to be dramatic but actually lost sleep over this after spending more money than I’ve ever spent and really needing the relaxing comfort of losing myself in some films...From Endgame on Disney+ to Endgame on UHD Disc...it’s just ain’t right.

I spent a night digging through all these forums and Dolby seems to be the issue? But don’t really want to go back to digital optical 5.1 and lose all this Atmos etc. so close but yet so well, 10ms far.

Has ANYONE solved this? I’ll be externally grateful.

thedoswells

Hey everyone! Just got a C9 (wow) and a Samsung Q90R Soundbar (wow wow) to go with it. Best lockdown ever!

Until...I immediately noticed lip sync lag. On basically everything. Internal apps and external connections. Video is slightly behind audio. The closest I’ve got to it being right is:

PS4 pro + LG 4kplayer to HMDI on Samsung Q90R> then HMDI Arc to LGC9.

But as good as The Matrix looks in 4K, Trinity’s lips are just a little slow... And flashes are behind etc. and when you see the dialogue delay. You can’t I see it!

I don’t want to be dramatic but actually lost sleep over this after spending more money than I’ve ever spent and really needing the relaxing comfort of losing myself in some films...From Endgame on Disney+ to Endgame on UHD Disc...it’s just ain’t right.

I spent a night digging through all these forums and Dolby seems to be the issue? But don’t really want to go back to digital optical 5.1 and lose all this Atmos etc. so close but yet so well, 10ms far.

Has ANYONE solved this? I’ll be externally grateful.

a number of people have reported lip sync issues where you are mixing earc, i.e. on your tv, with a soundbar that doesnt support earc (assume the soundbar doesn’t).
there are dedicated threads for both the c9 and the q90r. May be worth checking on there.
in the worst case could you swap the bar?

rgledhill

There are no solutions. The only way is to connect your PS4 into your Q90R, and then use the HDMI out from the Q90R into the TV. Then set the delay on the Q90R if necessary. Fundamentally the LG OLEDs are not capable of providing synchronised sound via a digital connection (e.g. the optical link is around 50-100ms out).
There are no ways to get LG OLEDs to generate proper lip-sync.

DerwDerw

Standard Member
There are no solutions. The only way is to connect your PS4 into your Q90R, and then use the HDMI out from the Q90R into the TV. Then set the delay on the Q90R if necessary. Fundamentally the LG OLEDs are not capable of providing synchronised sound via a digital connection (e.g. the optical link is around 50-100ms out).
There are no ways to get LG OLEDs to generate proper lip-sync.
a number of people have reported lip sync issues where you are mixing earc, i.e. on your tv, with a soundbar that doesnt support earc (assume the soundbar doesn’t).
there are dedicated threads for both the c9 and the q90r. May be worth checking on there.
in the worst case could you swap the bar?

Thanks both for your help.

This is rather annoying! Little bit confused then to why this is never mentioned in reviewers etc.? As it seems the C9 always has lip sync issues with any external audio? Surely not? The picture is perfect but usually everyone is noticing lip sync issues? (Ha, I sound like I'm losing my mind)

So I'll hunt down more dedicated threads for sure but so far haven't heard anything comforting. Would swapping the bar work? And if so, do we know if it's just eArc compatible soundbars which work in sync?

But then again, rgledhill, you don't think there is a way to get proper lip sync? I have the PS4 Pro directly into the soundbar (and can't make any delays to in the direction I need to on the bar unfortunately) but even with blu-rays I can still spot lips being too slow. I'm hoping there may be a firmware update or something to fix this?

thedoswells

Thanks both for your help.

This is rather annoying! Little bit confused then to why this is never mentioned in reviewers etc.? As it seems the C9 always has lip sync issues with any external audio? Surely not? The picture is perfect but usually everyone is noticing lip sync issues? (Ha, I sound like I'm losing my mind)

So I'll hunt down more dedicated threads for sure but so far haven't heard anything comforting. Would swapping the bar work? And if so, do we know if it's just eArc compatible soundbars which work in sync?

But then again, rgledhill, you don't think there is a way to get proper lip sync? I have the PS4 Pro directly into the soundbar (and can't make any delays to in the direction I need to on the bar unfortunately) but even with blu-rays I can still spot lips being too slow. I'm hoping there may be a firmware update or something to fix this?

i find this hard to understand too, although I’ve never owned an LG.
im a fan of their oleds and surely there must be many happy owners with external sound systems.
please do post if you find a good solution...

mikej

I use a Yamaha AVR connected to a Panasonic GZ950 and have never had a problem with lip-sync - at least nothing I can't correct via my AVR. FWIW, my perception from these forums is that there seem to be more LG users than Panasonic users with lip-sync issues.

rgledhill

That, sadly, is a good summary. Panasonic owners have no problems, LG owners have problems the minute they decide to use an external speaker instead of the internal ones.

It's very frustrating that the supposedly expert reviews from TechRadar, Which and so on totally fail to mention this fundamental problem that renders the TV unusable without extra boxes.

I've been arguing with LG for some weeks now that the TV isn't fit for purpose. They claim they have no record of there being problems with the software, yet many others on here have reported it. I sent LG the links, and they have offered to raise a "Voice of the Customer" report, which is basically a wish list from customers. I know for a fact that others have also raised this so it clearly is falling on deaf ears.

It's a greaty pity as in all other respects, I love the TV, but I wish I'd bought a Panasonic.

thedoswells

That, sadly, is a good summary. Panasonic owners have no problems, LG owners have problems the minute they decide to use an external speaker instead of the internal ones.

It's very frustrating that the supposedly expert reviews from TechRadar, Which and so on totally fail to mention this fundamental problem that renders the TV unusable without extra boxes.

I've been arguing with LG for some weeks now that the TV isn't fit for purpose. They claim they have no record of there being problems with the software, yet many others on here have reported it. I sent LG the links, and they have offered to raise a "Voice of the Customer" report, which is basically a wish list from customers. I know for a fact that others have also raised this so it clearly is falling on deaf ears.

It's a greaty pity as in all other respects, I love the TV, but I wish I'd bought a Panasonic.

The LGs like the c9 have been reviewed, very favourably, here on avforums iirc. I wonder if there are any opinions about this issue. But I'm sure I've seen posts on here where people have hooked up the c9 etc. to an external system and have had no issues?
It seems like such a key thing for what looks like a superb set of TVs...

Waynej

Distinguished Member
I've had an LG C8 and currently own a Panasonic FZ802. However, I have experienced lip-sync issues with both TV's.

First was an old (non-4K) 5.1 Onkyo receiver using ARC on the LG C8. Due to other significant publicised issues with the LG C8, it was returned, and I ended up with a Panasonic FZ802.

The Panasonic OLED was paired with a 4K-HDR capable Yamaha YSP-2700 soundbar. While it would work for a short time, lip-sync soon reared its ugly head here too. It's more problematic with ARC, and from other's suggestions Optical seems a bit more reliable.

I still regularly have issue when watching 5.1 content on Netflix, as this frequently slips out of sync. One workaround I have found to always work in my case is to close Netflix, launch Youtube and play any video, stop that video, and then go back to Netflix/Prime and all then remains fine.

I've just accepted that this is typically an ARC issue. I have seen a few here mention they pair a Panasonic soundbar with their TV and have no such issues, so I assume an LG soundbar would probably also be fine paired with an on-brand OLED too.

In the case of the C9 and Q90R - I do recall reading that both devices are supposed to support eARC, but that an update is apparently due for one of those. The whole buzz around eARC is that it's supposed to resolve these very lip-sync issues.

In my case with a 2018 LG and Panasonic OLED, personally the lip-sync bugged me more on the LG C8 for one simple reason. LG's WebOS and smart platform is the best on the market, so if I can't resolve the lip-sync woes then that's ultimately a negative. On the other hand, Panasonic's main appeal is purely as a borderline reference display OOTB with their image accuracy. The smart platform is functional, but it's lacking some major apps. The solution here is an Apple TV or Shield TV box for app duties - thus resolving lip-sync issues as there's then no need to go through the TV.

Last edited:

rgledhill

Thanks Wayne, that's a really good write-up. In the end I've ordered a Chromecast Ultra for streaming duties and (when it finally arrives - Curry's have taken more than a week to dispatch it from their ebay shop!!!) I'll be connecting that directly to the soundbar. I'm using an old Chromecast at the moment and YouTube is enjoyable to watch again....

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Blu-ray (UK) for Halloween 2021
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 20th October 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
PSB announces M4U 8 MKII wireless headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco introduces N50-S38 music library