1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any limit on cable runs for Sky+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jpfahy, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking of getting Sky+ to go with my new TV.
    However I'm wondering if there is any limit to the length of cable run from TV position to dish as I would really like to get the cable routed upwards internally into the loft and then out through the soffit to the new dish once the engineer fits it (not as direct as going out and up the exterior wall but neater looking)

The cable would have to go under some floorboards, up the side of a chimney breast (behind some boxing in) and through an airing cupboard before hitting the loftspace.
    If I could find out the type of cable needed for Sky+ I could complete the cable run myself leaving the engineer free to connect each end.

Does anyone have any advice for this type of thing?

2. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +903
    It doesn't sound like your cable run is going to be too long. Any idea roughly what length it would be? In my last house I had a run of around 30 metres without any problems.

If you're installing the cables yourself, go for two runs of good quality stuff, not the twin "shotgun" cable (its a bit skinny and flimsy!)
    I think the stuff to use is called FT125, have a search online at Maplins or somewhere.

3. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Take a look here:

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm

http://www.satcure.co.uk/useful/tech_help.htm

I have read the suggested max is 35m before you need to think about amplification/boosters. I researched this a few weeks back since I had to run the cable to the end of the garden.....4 times!!! (Sky+ and 2 multi-room receivers). The Sky+ runs were about 33-35m each but the bedrooms which I did, like you run through the loft, were in excess of 35m, more like 40m and they both work fine without amps/boosters. I would imagine quality of cable plays a part, I used a solid core coax.

Good luck anyway. :thumbsup:

4. Jpfahy

Jpfahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys :smashin:

Looks like it'll be two 30m runs of FT125 from Maplins and then a call to Sky

5. rasb0

rasb0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    That's exactly what I did, ran the cable the way I wanted it! Then called Sky.
    The Sky engineer............Sorry! there I go again, Sky Installation Technician loved me for it, Quote, "Did you do the cables?"
    Reply, "Yes."
    Technician, "I feel like you should be getting a tip off me, cheers."
    .......hang on' d'ya think that was a back handed way of hinting at a tip?
    eehhmmmmm!
    I let him do the f-connectors and supply the LNB as it was part of the "Free" installation. Didn't get a rebate for the cable I supplied though!
    Can't have everything! :)