Any lighting experts?

Glen1977

Got 15 LED dimmable downlights in my living room but would really like to put in some smart downlights if these even exist? But being no electrician I really want to be able to just take the old one out and clip in the new one! Anyone know of any lights that may work for me?

chrisgeary

They do exist and you can choose from many vendors, such as Philips Hue, Ikea Tradfri, Innr etc. For variable white, the GU10s are generally like for like in terms of size. For colour, hue will fit like for like but IIRC Ikea's colour offering is slightly larger, so check sizes before ordering.

D

Deleted member 24354

Philips do a GU10 Hue Bulb, which are replaceable but they are not cheap at £15 each, plus you will need a hub to control them, which is £50 so to buy all 15 plus hub would cost £275. What most people do is wait until there is a 3 for 2 offer on HUE bulbs, which happens every 3 - 4 months, which would would bring the cost down to £198. Sometimes you can find Hue Hubs for sale on these forums.

I will warn you that Hue lights are highly addictive and once you start buying them, you will want more as plenty of Hue junkies on these forums will attest to.

My collection is mediocre compared to most people on here, I have 6 x Hue GU10s, in my cinema room 6 x Hue E27s (mostly in bedside lamps and table lamps) and 3 x Hue dimmers. I also have a mixture of other technologies controlling my 19 kitchen GU 10s, 12 outdoor lights and 3 LED ribbons.

D

Deleted member 24354

They do exist and you can choose from many vendors, such as Philips Hue, Ikea Tradfri, Innr etc. For variable white, the GU10s are generally like for like in terms of size. For colour, hue will fit like for like but IIRC Ikea's colour offering is slightly larger, so check sizes before ordering.
@chrisgeary I think that Hue colour GU10s are also longer than standard GU10s and do not fit in a lot of GU10 light fittings.

Lrehcsa

Hue GU10 bulbs are definitely longer than standard, I tried replacing some in my house and the Hue ones were too long and there was not enough clearance to get them flush with the ceiling again, so I had to send them back, very annoying!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom