Any LATIN experts here?

Bristol Pete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Been trying to locate a latin phrase online but not having any luck as I think it may combine more than one/two words.

A while ago, my manager produced a report, which he entitled -

'From the depths of despair'

which I think is/means

'de profundis'

in latin.

Can anyone confirm this or correct the spelling for me.

Thanks,

Pete.

Captain Benefit said:
Hi,

Been trying to locate a latin phrase online but not having any luck as I think it may combine more than one/two words.

A while ago, my manager produced a report, which he entitled -

'From the depths of despair'

which I think is/means

'de profundis'

in latin.

Can anyone confirm this or correct the spelling for me.

Thanks,

Pete.

Only Latin I know from my family coat of arms (see sig below). But does this help? http://www.depro.org/

'de profundis' means out of the deep

De Profundis does indeed mean "from the depths", or "out of the deep", but the despair bit is usually taken as being understood by it, so you're pretty much right.

Thanks guys. For reference it was a report on the improvement my team made some time ago, hence the from the depths. Lovely job.

Pete.

Indeed, De Profundis is (or was) a well known prayer, beginning ISTR (for the English version) : "Out of the depths I have cried for thee, o Lord."

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Chris Muriel said:
Indeed, De Profundis is (or was) a well known prayer, beginning ISTR (for the English version) : "Out of the depths I have cried for thee, o Lord."

Chris Muriel, Manchester

First line of psalm 129, in fact.

Chris Muriel said:

Chris Muriel, Manchester

Is a well known prayer.

Always used at Roman Catholic funerals.

Cheers,

Martin.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom