Any laptops that come with Windows 7 DVD?

jj2005

Standard Member
I'm looking at purchasing a laptop and none of them come with a Windows 7 DVD.
All they come with is a recovery DVD.
Ever since my first PC which had Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.2 on about 30 floppy disks, I've always had the relevant copy of Windows on Floppy Disk/CD/DVD.
I find it much handier if I want to wipe everything and start again.
Any laptops come with Windows 7 on DVD?
Or can I ask for the laptop to come without Windows and ask for money off (and purchase the DVD separately)?
Surely as part of the EU's antitrust case against Microsoft, laptop manufacturers have to provide a choice of getting your laptop without Windows pre-installed?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I find it much handier if I want to wipe everything and start again

I can't see what can be handier than a recovery DVD which will reinstate everything as it was complete with all the correct drivers.

Which is an important point.

I just reinstalled XP on my daughter's Acer lappy after she had lost the recovery disc.
It was no problem apart from the day and a half searching for the drivers that Windows update couldn't sort out :suicide:

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Badger0-0 said:
I can't see what can be handier than a recovery DVD which will reinstate everything as it was complete with all the correct drivers.

Which is an important point.

I just reinstalled XP on my daughter's Acer lappy after she had lost the recovery disc.
It was no problem apart from the day and a half searching for the drivers that Windows update couldn't sort out :suicide:

Couldn't you get the drivers off Acer's support site?

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Some of them yes (wireless card and sound drivers, once I'd worked out which hardware was fitted), but others no.
Chipset driver and graphics was a real ballache, as AMD's legacy driver didn't work.
The trouble is Windows only comes up with generic names such as VGA controller and PCI communications device etc.
Fortunately, I'd kept the old installation on the HDD, so had to go through that and copy the drivers over.
Nightmare :thumbsdow

So, staying on topic :), I'd recommend a recovery DVD :smashin:

dc8900

Distinguished Member
All they come with is a recovery DVD.

I find it much handier if I want to wipe everything and start again.

I kinda don't get the gripe, the recovery DVD allows you to wipe and re-install the OS (only in this case, often with the relevant drivers), and so 'start again'

If you are talking about getting rid of bloatware, simply uninstall the relevant programs

dc8900

Distinguished Member
On most Dell PCs 'recovery DVD' is just a rebadged Windows DVD anyway.

yep, while I haven't purchased a Dell Desktop since '06, the recovery DVD was in fact/appeared to be a just a Windows DVD (with the Dell logo on it) and it came along with a separate driver DVD

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom