Any Laptop Repair Gurus Here?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by RBZ5416, Jul 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,873
    I have an odd issue with the screen of a Lenovo Yoga 510. Intermittently, the laptop starts with an orange screen where it should be black. Only colours that use pure black are affected, others render OK, including greys. This happens on the splash screen at first power on, so isn't a software/driver issue, also confirmed with an external monitor. Additionally if the laptop is left on a flat surface for a while, the issue will appear. I suspect because of poor design restricting airflow from underneath. Power-cycling the laptop almost always clears the issue.

This first started to appear shortly after I bought it last year & Lenovo supposedly fixed it under warranty. To be fair it's been fine until a couple of months ago when it first re-appeared. Just like before, it's getting progressively worse to the point where there's now a 50% chance of it happening at each power on. Flexing or tapping the screen & base makes no difference so doesn't appear to be a bad connection.

It's now out of warranty & Lenovo have washed their hands, despite it being a repeat fault. Google has found no other instances quite like mine so just wondering if there's anyone here with in depth knowledge that could offer some pointers?

2. ReddFour

ReddFour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    You could always try replacing the screen and see if that solves it. You can get them cheap on Ebay. I've done it a couple of times and it is easy to do. There are plenty of Youtube videos to show you how.

3. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,873
    Thanks but screens are typically £100, so a bit too much to gamble on when it could be the video chipset or PSU.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. Navvie

Navvie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    There's a very short thread on Lenovo's forums started by somebody with the same problem. Replies are about paper mode? Fn + Esc toggles it.

Solved: My Screen Keeps 'turning on this orange tint' - Lenovo Community

Been a few years, but when I took laptops apart with screen problems it was often the ribbon cable between the motherboard and the screen that was broken. Ribbon used to run through the screen hinge and all the flexing caused be opening and closing the laptop causes them to break over time. I'm not sure if the design has changed of if the Yoga style devices use a different method.

5. ReddFour

ReddFour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Really? I get them for about £25 on eBay. I've replaced the screen quite recently on my current laptop.

6. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,873
    Thanks, I've seen that but I don't think my Yoga supports that mode, certainly the hotkey sequence mentioned does nothing. But the description of the feature is to warm the image, not turn black orange! Examples attached.

Lenovo 1.jpg Lenovo 2.jpg

The really odd thing is the way that only pure black is affected. One step up on the black scale displays correctly.

Cables do indeed run through the hinges but I can't see how a damaged cable or other poor connection would almost always fix itself with a power-cycle. Also in my experience of such a fault, flexing the hinge should reproduce it.

It's full HD touch screen.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. ReddFour

ReddFour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Okay sorry. I was trying to help but didn't realise it was a touchscreen. In that case, yes it would be too expensive just to check.

8. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    You need to go back to your retailer and insist that the unit is repaired.

9. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,873
    Private sale on Ebay unfortunately.

10. Nerox

Nerox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I have repaired a few laptops at component level but graphics are always the most difficult to diagnose, especially if intermittent (things like no screen at all or no backlight are usually ok)

does the issue only happen at boot up, or does it also occur when in the OS?

Have you taken the unit apart and had a look at the motherboard?
    post some close up pictures of the board, especially around the screen connector, i might be able to spot something awry.

11. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,873
    Usually at start up. As I said in the OP, if I put the laptop down & go & make a cup of tea then sometimes it will manifest itself in Windows, but never when actually in use on my lap. This kind of points towards a temp related issue, especially as it's got worse as the hot weather has persisted. But then I wouldn't expect it to happen from cold.

Not sure how accessible connectors are. A brief look at the service guide basically suggest removing just about everything to get to the screen. But as we know, steps can often be circumvented. I'll pull the base off when I get a minute & see what's easily accessible.

Just for good measure, the backlight has started flickering on & off this afternoon!

12. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,281
    That's an interesting screenshot. It's clearly just affecting the one shade (#000000) and even with the colour shifting of a photograph it doesn't seem likely to be a primary or secondary colour.

If I saw that in a program I'd say it was some sort of underrun error, a default colour that's being used because the requested colour is invalid.

I'm not sure how that translates to this level though, some issue with the graphics card's LUT? It might be worth loading a colour profile in Windows when you have this issue and see if that changes anything.

13. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,873
    OK, it's been getting worse with the screen backlight flickering or the screen completely whiting out. So I've now had it apart & cleaned & re-seated the two major connectors for the screen. Nothing untoward looking except a number of 90 degree bends in the cable as it routes through the hinge. But this is the only way that they will route & I would expect other reports in Google land if this was a design issue.

We'll see what happens going forward but I'm already resigned to replacing it. Just a matter of negotiating the minefield of each manufacturer having dozens of different models with an almost equal number of sub-variants. At least I can save some time by skipping Lenovo junk. :(