Any Lamps that improve LCD performance?

Xirix

Standard Member
Like many gamers, I enjoy having my TV as my only light source for heavy nights of gaming, however obviously because of the way LCD TVs work I can't really do that, so could anyone suggest a fairly dim lamp that I could easily put behind my LCD TV that will make the blacks how they should be? I say Dim since too bright would defeat the point of playing in the dark.

ianh64

Theoretically putting a lamp of the same colour temperature as the screen would be what is required. This should be 6500k but LCD's are normally in the 8000k+ range. How you determine what colour temperature a bulb is I do not know. I don't know what colour temperature the sunlight bulbs are but it is a similar idea.

Xirix

Standard Member
Well, I'm not buying a Philips LCD.. I'm either getting a Samsung or a Sharp, so that's out of the window... and I have no idea about colour temperatures. Gah.

Mackem

Dunno about the Samsung or Sharp but the Hitachi 32LD7200 allows you to manually adjust the backlight, so you can set it at what you like.

Mackem

Some say that the blacks looked washed out if you do, given that the only light source in the room is coming from the backlight of the LCD itself but I can't say I've ever noticed any problems. Doesn't seem any different to my CRT.

daxie

Standard Member
Cause lcd's can't show blacks, the crystals always leave a fair amount of light through, makeing blacks look rather grey or blueish.

The higher the environmental lower, the less the eye can see this.

In a totally dark room it is actually quite awful.

Good thing is that your eyes quickly adopt to new "images", so after a while if you don't look for it, it will probably fade. (Unless you're, like many here, including me, watching different screens every week, so adoption is zero).

Sami

daxie said:
Cause lcd's can't show blacks, the crystals always leave a fair amount of light through, makeing blacks look rather grey or blueish.

The higher the environmental lower, the less the eye can see this.

In a totally dark room it is actually quite awful.

Good thing is that your eyes quickly adopt to new "images", so after a while if you don't look for it, it will probably fade. (Unless you're, like many here, including me, watching different screens every week, so adoption is zero).
If oyu look at the Get them out for the lads thread, there are a few people that have bought lighting to go behind their LCD - seem to be using a blue neon type light by the looks of things.. [email protected] sure they could advise you

agent O

Standard Member
why not get some P.C. mod components. ya know the neon strips etc. you may be able to coble something together.

Giblets2

Yeah, and fit a fat exhaust to your speakers while you're at it :rotfl:

B

bashtage

Google for 'mood lamp' These produce a range of colors and intensities.

Top Bottom