1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any knowledge of Sony DCR-PC2E/3E?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Hoopedstar, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Hoopedstar

Hoopedstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got any information at all about these two models of Sony Camcorder? I can find next to nothing after a quick sweep of the net, which makes me think that they might be older and/or foreign issued models.

Very grateful if anyone can help out with any links or direct experience of these models, ass I have the opportunity to buy.

Thanks in advance.

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    These were both single chip upright dv camcorders in the ilk of the current PC series (109/6 etc).

Pretty good cams, 1/4 inch ccd, bigger and brighter than todays, still plenty sharp etc, zeiss lenses, nice manual focus ring, the higher end camera had dv in as I recall.

These are good cams, probably better than the current range, BUT they are getting old now, probably around 5 years maybe even older, don't buy from a private seller, unless you get a try out first, or you know the vendor, when things go wrong they will probaly be uneconmical to fix.

Record for a half hour, then record in short burst, check capture (if there are any dropped frames or mosaic pattern avoid), check auto and manual focus, particularly record 1 min with the lens cap on in a dark room, play back on a big telly and look for any dead pixels (bright whie or red specs, if so avoid).

Check playback on cam, check eject and loading, check all outputs (minijack . 3 phono, s-video -perhaps not essential- & dv).

I personally wouldn't pay any more than £100 for a really clean one of these cams, you can pick up a similarly performing cam new for £220.

Sony have the handbooks for these cams on their website as PDF's.

3. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roy, thankyou for an extremely helpful answer. I'm buying off someone I know through work - they claim to have used it only a couple of times, so I think it's of sound provenance. To push your generous and helpful nature even further, could I ask you:

(a) does it have same functionality as modern equivalents with regard to downloading videos to my PC? E.g. same connections, etc.?

(b) I'm after a reasonable quality machine that's easy to use, with good battery life. Would I gain anything obvious, other than perhaps features I will probably never use, by going for a new machine instead (and I'm only going to go as far as something like the Sony HC14 or 18)?

It seems like a good deal - I'm much happier shelling out less for something that may not have all the latest tricks but will do the job just as well.

Thanks

4. Hiddenmission

Hiddenmission

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... and I should point out that Hoopedstar and Hiddenmission are the at home and at work identities of the same person.... me!