1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any kind hearted experts out there?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by pjladd, Jun 1, 2005.

1. pjladd

pjladd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd appreciate some advice if there are any kind hearted experts out there .... it's a question about connections

I've got:

- a Toshiba 32WL48P with component video inputs, 3 scarts, and pretty much everthing else

- a Denon DHT500SD surround sound system, with comp video, 1 scart, standard video connects

- an old video player for the kids tapes, with 2 scart connections only

- an NTL cable decoder box, also with only 2 scarts

My Toshiba manual doesn't tell me how to connect the Denon; and my Denon manual doesn't tell me how to fix up the NTL box.

My simple aim is to see all the pictures from these outputs on my TV, with the option of surround on each! But I don't understand the logic of how they fit together .... whichever way I do it I seem to lose one piece of the jigsaw (e.g. the picture from the video)

I'm presuming I should take advantage of the comp video option, and plug the Denon into the TV that way - but then how should I connect the other bits? via the Denon (and if so, how?), or direct to the TV?

Any advice gratefully received

Paul

2. DragonQ

DragonQ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the Surround Sound cables plugged into the TV or do they come straight from the DVD Player?

If they're straight from the DVD Player, then you can't get surround sound on the other components. However, if your TV has Sorround Sound OUT Ports and your Sorround Sound kit is plugged into the TV, then you'll get Sorround sound on anything you watch. In either case, the best setup would be:

DVD -> TV (Component)
    NTL -> VCR -> TV (RGB Scart)

This will allow you to record from Cable.

3. pjladd

pjladd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I'll follow the set up

The surround sound cables go into the DVD and not the TV, but it's a bit weird because last night I could get both the TV and DVD coming out of the surround speakers